CBS Sports predicts Bills will land Ziggy

The next wave of free agency could be primed to begin Tuesday at 11:59 p.m. ET.

The passing of the league-wide deadline signals current veteran players on the open market no longer count in the NFL's method of calculations for determining compensatory draft picks.

"If teams sign players, they are not counted against the compensatory pick formula," NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport explained Monday night on Total Access. "In other words, they do not hurt future draft choices. So, you have some players that are simply in a waiting game."

Teams with money to spend won't find a drying pool of talent, especially on the defensive side of the line of scrimmage.

Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and defensive end Ezekiel Ansah are the highest-ranked unsigned players on NFL.com's list of Top 101 free agents of 2019, which was published before the start of the new league calendar year.

And in a league where pass rushers are at a premium, Ansah and his 48 career sacks should experience an uptick from interested teams willing to be patient as he recovers from shoulder surgery.

"He had a checkup recently with an expert," Rapoport said. "He's going to be ready about early on or midway through training camp. That's a good sign for him."

Other players of note from NFL.com's Top 101 list still seeking a home include cornerback Morris Claiborne, linebacker Jamie Collins, running back Jay Ajayi, safety Glover Quin and outside linebacker Shane Ray, among others.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030106/article/tuesday-deadline-marks-next-wave-of-free-agency

Edited by HOUSE

51 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Looks like the market for Ansah just heated up with JPP being sidelined for the season. 

Tampa doesn’t have enough cap room to sign their draft picks.  If they were ever gonna trade Mike Evans, now would be the time to ask.  Offer them our 1st and 2nd next year plus Shaq Lawson.  

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Tampa doesn’t have enough cap room to sign their draft picks.  If they were ever gonna trade Mike Evans, now would be the time to ask.  Offer them our 1st and 2nd next year plus Shaq Lawson.  

Haha, why would they trade Evans?

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I predict Ansah signs elsewhere.

Why? Well, the path to consistent snaps is greater elsewhere, and that's what Ansah needs on what will presumably be a one-year prove-it deal. 

In Buffalo, he'd be part of a heavy rotation and would likely split snaps about evenly with the Murphy/Lawson combo. In, say, Seattle or Tampa Bay, he might be the unquestioned, just about every-down starter at edge. 

Also, the need for an additional edge rusher in Buffalo simply isn't as high as it is for some other teams. As such, I'd expect other teams to be willing to pay more than what the Bills are willing to pay. Beane has shown that he sets a value to a player and sticks to it. He's not going to get into a bidding war over Ziggy Ansah.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, why would they trade Evans?

Not saying they would but they are kind of in cap hell and he’s got a huge cap number.  More likely they cut Gerald McCoy, but without McCoy and Pierre-Paul and ability to bring anybody else in, looking more to a rebuild.  

38 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Idk that having a good rotational DE is setting the bar low LOL

You think a good rotational DE is all you want from a first round pick?

Case in point!

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't understand how this applies here. Who's setting what bar low?

I think we do as fans and I do think some previous regimes have - obviously not all. 

I just think we're too accepting of underachievement - sometimes.  

I mean there were a significant amount of fans that wanted to give Shaq the 5th year option at nearly 10 mil.  There's fans comparing Zay to Moulds.  

I get it, expectations from fans doesn't have any effect on how the player performs - but I do think we need to get more used to not hanging onto hope in examples like this.  However I do think our FO and coach have higher expectations then we're used to - and if a player doesn't perform we move on.  

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I think we do as fans and I do think some previous regimes have - obviously not all. 

I just think we're too accepting of underachievement - sometimes.  

I mean there were a significant amount of fans that wanted to give Shaq the 5th year option at nearly 10 mil.  There's fans comparing Zay to Moulds.  

I get it, expectations from fans doesn't have any effect on how the player performs - but I do think we need to get more used to not hanging onto hope in examples like this.  However I do think our FO and coach have higher expectations then we're used to - and if a player doesn't perform we move on.  

This, for the most part. Although I suppose in the days of social media fans can add pressure.

As a sports fan, you really have two choices: follow your team or not. You can harrumph moves that are made but rarely do we know more than those in charge. I'm no expert. I have favorites but I can't say with any certainty that one player is better than another.

So following a team means going along with the regime. I'm on the McBeane train and feel pretty good about it. The bar is whatever they set, not us.

26 minutes ago, White Linen said:

You think a good rotational DE is all you want from a first round pick?

Case in point!

So having fresher rushers all game is a negative?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This, for the most part. Although I suppose in the days of social media fans can add pressure.

As a sports fan, you really have two choices: follow your team or not. You can harrumph moves that are made but rarely do we know more than those in charge. I'm no expert. I have favorites but I can't say with any certainty that one player is better than another.

So following a team means going along with the regime. I'm on the McBeane train and feel pretty good about it. The bar is whatever they set, not us.

So having fresher rushers all game is a negative?

I must not be making myself clear.  I agree and admitted what we think has little effect on a players performance - except as you mention possibly a player feeling pressure because fans voices are out there at a new level today for a player to hear about.  

This is for the sake of discussion and it's more for fans that want to cling on to these players and make them into something they're not.  

It's absolutely not a negative to have Lawson play this year.  It's also ok to say that his performance last year - although better - just isn't good enough.  

Not sure what all the hype is all about.  Ansah may have been great but now appears to be an injury waiting to happen.  The Bills already have a defensive end, Murphy, with this background.  How much has he contributed, especially at his salary?  Perhaps we should cool it on the board and let the medics figure it all out.

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Not sure what all the hype is all about.  Ansah may have been great but now appears to be an injury waiting to happen.  The Bills already have a defensive end, Murphy, with this background.  How much has he contributed, especially at his salary?  Perhaps we should cool it on the board and let the medics figure it all out.

Ok so b.c Murphy got injured the same will happen to Ansah... Yeah GJ.

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

I think the Bills medical/orthopedic staff but the brakes on the deal.If Beane has a hard on for a player..he'll get him most of the time.

Ansah is most likely damaged goods...just because you walk into a store with 1,000 in American currency doesn't equate to you buying 1,000 worth of rotted out fruit.

14 hours ago, HOUSE said:

With Ziggy, Buffalo could easily have the #1 defense in 2019. Also, Jerry Hughes could be gone in 2020 so I am hoping for a 2 + year deal.

I think he is looking for something longer than a 1 year deal to see if his shoulder is OK.  2+ would make him happy!  The Bills have the cap room.