Bills games broadcasted in Syracuse?

I’m moving to Syracuse, NY soon. Does anyone know if every Sunday they play the Bills games. Or do they broadcast Jets/Giants games instead of the Bills? Trying to figure out if I need to invest in Sunday Ticket or just go to a Bills bar a couple times a season if they mostly play Bills games on local tv

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm pretty confident Syracuse gets every Bills game. (Past Syracuse it's iffy.) In the rare event you don't get it one week, you can always hit a sports bar. It would still be cheaper than ST.

Actually you're good as far east as Utica. East of Utica is the iffy territory.

The only game that wasn't shown last year was the Detroit Lions at the Bills on December 16.  The game was carried by Fox, but Fox chose to show Dallas/Indy.  Had t o head to the sports bar for that one.  I don't know what was behind the decision.  Perhaps the game wasn't sold out?  To quote an article at the time:

"Even the state of New York is divided for Week 15, as the Binghamton, Syracuse, Utica and Watertown markets—cities that normally carry Bills games—switched over to broadcast the Dallas Cowboys/Indianapolis Colts showdown (in red) instead."

8 hours ago, CNY315 said:

They show all the Bills games. You're good

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm pretty confident Syracuse gets every Bills game. (Past Syracuse it's iffy.) In the rare event you don't get it one week, you can always hit a sports bar. It would still be cheaper than ST.

I live in Utica and we get the Syracuse CBS station, so any Bills games broadcast on the Syracuse CBS affiliate will be shown. However, when there is a conflict between Giants / Bills when the Bills play on FOX, usually we lose out to the Giants. There is one game in the middle third of the upcoming season where the Jets, Giants and Bills all play at the same time and the Bills are on the FOX station. Dollars to doughnuts that game is not shown. Usually, there's one of those games a year, which sucks, but it used to be three or four of those games a year due to the blackout rule and as others have said, no more blackouts. Hopefully that helps. 

I live in Syracuse and it's very rare we don't get the Bills broadcast.  I have the Sunday Ticket just as an insurance policy (and to be able to watch any game I want). The Beginning 2 in East Syracuse is THE Bills sports bar in the area and will always have the Bills game.  Good food and wings run by great folks from the Buffalo area.

9 hours ago, SAFTB said:

I’m moving to Syracuse, NY soon. Does anyone know if every Sunday they play the Bills games. Or do they broadcast Jets/Giants games instead of the Bills? Trying to figure out if I need to invest in Sunday Ticket or just go to a Bills bar a couple times a season if they mostly play Bills games on local tv

are you being punished?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

The NFL doesn't black out games anymore

sometimes you get bit by restrictions..... depends....

52 minutes ago, teef said:

are you being punished?

i thought the thread was started so the person slowly wean off watching the Bills ever again, the pain was too much

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

I live in Utica and we get the Syracuse CBS station, so any Bills games broadcast on the Syracuse CBS affiliate will be shown. However, when there is a conflict between Giants / Bills when the Bills play on FOX, usually we lose out to the Giants. There is one game in the middle third of the upcoming season where the Jets, Giants and Bills all play at the same time and the Bills are on the FOX station. Dollars to doughnuts that game is not shown. Usually, there's one of those games a year, which sucks, but it used to be three or four of those games a year due to the blackout rule and as others have said, no more blackouts. Hopefully that helps. 

I moved from the Buffalo area to the Syracuse area about 10 years ago and this is pretty much how it is.

It used to be easy to predict because the Bills only played two games a year on Fox, their two home NFC games, and if those weren't at the same time as the Giants there wouldn't be an issue.

Now over the last few years how the networks split up their games isn't just AFC/NFC anymore so it isn't as predictable. Plus as someone mentioned above we had the strange instance where Fox chose the Cowboys over the Bills last season. I believe it was because that game still had playoff implications and the Bills/Lions did not.

The old rules might not apply anymore but the way I used to understand it was that CBS was contractually required to air the Bills games in the Syracuse market as it was considered a Bills secondary market and CBS was the AFC affiliate where as Fox could choose to do as it pleases.

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It took me 7 years to get out of Syracuse.  I cringe even typing that. I am not exaggerating when I say the OP should do everything possible to avoid going there. 

i actually have quite a few friends/colleagues in the area.  i just enjoy starting rochester/syracuse drama.  even in rochester, it's fun to start up the east side/west side drama.

2 hours ago, teef said:

i actually have quite a few friends/colleagues in the area.  i just enjoy starting rochester/syracuse drama.  even in rochester, it's fun to start up the east side/west side drama.

Really.  Just mention "Ames and Childs" and watch people squirm.

Or Hoffmans versus Zweigle's.  That always spins people up.

(Hint - the answer is "Zweigle's").

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

sometimes you get bit by restrictions..... depends....

The game may not be available in certain areas but that doesn't mean it's blacked out

2 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Thank the heavens!!

been a few years since they stopped doing blackouts