Zay Jones looks ripped

10 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

That is very debatable.  It was either him or Foster and I don't care what anyone on this board says, Zay was a good player the second half of last season.  He had some really nice TD's and was getting open.  I think he's going to have a good season.

Agreed, it is debatable and the answer would not be unanimous no matter who someone picked out of Zay or Foster as best WR last year.  But I would bet that the over whelming majority would say Foster was the better WR down the stretch than Zay.  And IMO, that is the correct answer.  

We have very different definitions of "good player" the 2nd Half the season...especially since he was terrible in weeks 14, 15 and 16.  He played 6 games with Allen to end the season.  He was terrible in 4 of them.  Had 2 "good" games against a bad Miami team, yet he also dropped a critical catch that was a perfect throw by Allen that was one of the main reasons we lost the first Miami game.  So even in one of his "good" games, he came up short when the team needed him to make the play...again.  

All water under the bridge now though...its all on him to make the most of his chances and prove he is better than what he's been for 2 years.   

Hahaha, when you said Zay looked ripped  I expected to see some bloodshot eyes. Hey, he looks good, I just hope that he has a better year. I call him Fry Pan Jones to my kids but hey, I’ve been wrong before.

50 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except I'm not.  So theres that too ;)

I would love that...I will be pulling for Zay.  

I just found it ironic that people mocked DK for being ripped prior to this.  

People mocked DK for several reasons.  The fact that he looked all roided up just added fuel to the fire.  Zay looks jacked, but not DK jacked.

45 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Josh Allen made him look a little more competent last year.  I'm not saying it's time to move on from Zay but it's time to move on from believing he's going to turn into anything special.  He's a complimentary guy and he'll play a few more seasons in the NFL then be an afterthought.  

This year i believe will be very telling- many players break put their third year- especially if he surrounded by competent people. I just do not find it smart to write off players after 2 years.

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Zay isn’t as bad as a lot make him out to be. Issue is he’s just not a go to guy. He’s a complimentary piece to an offense and he can’t be a focal point like he’s been in his time here. I’m excited to see how he does this season with the pressure of being “the man” taken off. He’s surrounded by more talent and experience and should learn a great deal about running his routes and should also now draw waaaaaaaay easier coverage as the best defenders will be occupied by brown and Beasley 

Actually, I dont think anyone thinks Zay is much worse than what you described.  I think its more like people are not satisfied with a second round pick we traded up for and a 2 year full time starter to still be struggling with catching the ball and not being reliable or a go to guy.  

I do agree with you that maybe the presence of the other WR's could take some pressure off him and let him get more comfortable, especially if he draws the lesser DBs.  Then again, if someone isn't mentally strong enough to handle being the man as a 2nd round pick who set NCAA records, then its also possible he could struggle with handling the pressure of having more competition for his reps with better players in the WR room.  Could go either way really, lets hope it goes the way of making him more comfortable.

Hope the kid succeeds, we will find out soon enough.  

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Actually, I dont think anyone thinks Zay is much worse than what you described.  I think its more like people are not satisfied with a second round pick we traded up for and a 2 year full time starter to still be struggling with catching the ball and not being reliable or a go to guy.  

I do agree with you that maybe the presence of the other WR's could take some pressure off him and let him get more comfortable, especially if he draws the lesser DBs.  Then again, if someone isn't mentally strong enough to handle being the man as a 2nd round pick who set NCAA records, then its also possible he could struggle with handling the pressure of having more competition for his reps with better players in the WR room.  Could go either way really, lets hope it goes the way of making him more comfortable.

Hope the kid succeeds, we will find out soon enough.  

Well I think one thing the entire board can agree on is this is probably his last shot with buffalo to be on the team. If he survives cuts and plays this year he’s going to need to live up to the draft status or there’s really no reason to keep him next year. Especially if foster continues to improve 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is a great point. Zay looks nothing like his college self. That version of the dude was making acrobatic, one handed, contested catching and making people look silly. He had a swagger about his game. You could tell he wanted the ball. This version just seems like a shell of that guy. I hope he gets it back becuase it is in there somewhere. 

Exactly my point. There's really no way to quantify or prove it, but he doesn't APPEAR to be confident. He was exactly as you described at ECU. WR's really need to have supreme belief in their ability. There are times that is SEEMS like Zay feels overmatched. Catching the ball is mental. A guy who had terrific hands in college doesn't forget HOW to catch the ball. Getting ripped/feeling good COULD go a long way for ZJ if my assumption is correct and confidence is an issue.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Exactly my point. There's really no way to quantify or prove it, but he doesn't APPEAR to be confident. He was exactly as you described at ECU. WR's really need to have supreme belief in their ability. There are times that is SEEMS like Zay feels overmatched. Catching the ball is mental. A guy who had terrific hands in college doesn't forget HOW to catch the ball. Getting ripped/feeling good COULD go a long way for ZJ if my assumption is correct and confidence is an issue.

I would add, Zay showed some of that in his rookie year preseason making some exciting grabs.  But after week 2 fiasco, he looked lost and pretty much couldn't catch anything.  Makes me wonder if he can handle the ups and downs of being a professional athlete or not.  

We will see, hope the kid puts it all behind him and shows big.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

There is nothing unusual about receivers taking some time to develop into full fledge receivers in the league. The Steelers Ju Ju Smith-Schuster took some time before he became a good receiver for the Steelers. And now he is their primary receiver. Zay was a super productive college receiver for East Carolina, a second tier college program. So it shouldn't be surprising that there was an acclimation period for him. Let's not forget that this mostly possession receiver has had precision qbs throwing to him.

I doubt that he is going to be a primary receiver for us because he doesn't have the required explosive or even quick traits on the field. But that doesn't mean that he can't be a solid to good receiver for us. I'm looking for him to step it up this year.  

Huh?  Juju almost had 1,000 yards as a rookie in 14 games and had 1,400 yards in his second season.  But the Bills has no shot at drafting him. Oh wait...

and it it seems like he is having a better offseason than last year. Still a really bad trade and getting ripped as receiver really means nothing.  But as a 3rd type receiver, he is ok.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is this intentional "salt shaking"?  One of the primary beefs around here is that Smith-Schuster hit >70% of his catches for 917 yds during his rookie season, while Zay was struggling to catch just over 1/3 of his targets for 316 yds, after we traded up to take him ahead of Smith-Schuster.

Somehow the fact that Smith-Schuster was catching passes from a HOF QB and playing across from a HOF WR on a top-10 offense while Zay was catching passes from Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman, doesn't factor into the TBD assessment.

Daboll likes to scheme his receivers open, and Zay was open as schemed many a time Allen either didn't process his reads far enough, or lacked time.

Wait, so were Zay's numbers bad because Allen was poor or did Allen have poor numbers because the WRs dropped lots of balls? Or should we just blame the OL for both and say they both got screwed?

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, vincec said:

Wait, so were Zay's numbers bad because Allen was poor or did Allen have poor numbers because the WRs dropped lots of balls? Or should we just blame the OL for both and say they both got screwed?

yes.

5 minutes ago, vincec said:

Good point. I’m pretty sure half of Zays TDS and yards came on broken plays by Allen buying time.

He simply does not create much separation and has a hard time winning 1 on 1 matchups. 

41 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This year i believe will be very telling- many players break put their third year- especially if he surrounded by competent people. I just do not find it smart to write off players after 2 years.

I haven't written him off but I'll follow the lead of the FO.  He still has a chance but he isn't going to be relied upon to lead the WR group.  

I really hate that so many fans are negative about him.  He really improved last season especially in the second half when he had more time time playing/practicing with Josh.  I think he will break a 1000 this year.  And for those who say he can’t create separation, I am not sure what Bills games you have been watching 

• Like (+1) 4

At the least, he seems dedicated to his workout regime and putting himself physically in a good position to succeed. No idea why people spin this into a negative beyond he's currently the whipping boy that people on here want to get rid of for no reason.

• Like (+1) 1