Zay Jones looks ripped

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is this intentional "salt shaking"?  One of the primary beefs around here is that Smith-Schuster hit >70% of his catches for 917 yds during his rookie season, while Zay was struggling to catch just over 1/3 of his targets for 316 yds, after we traded up to take him ahead of Smith-Schuster.

Somehow the fact that Smith-Schuster was catching passes from a HOF QB and playing across from a HOF WR on a top-10 offense while Zay was catching passes from Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman, doesn't factor into it.

Daboll likes to scheme his receivers open, and Zay was open as schemed many a time Allen either didn't process his reads far enough, or lacked time.

I'm clueless what your "salt shaking" reference means? 

Smith took off in his second year. That is not to say that he didn't do well in his rookie year. But in his sophomore year he became a much more prominent receiver. As you pointed out he had a prospective HOF qb throwing to him and he had one of the best receivers in the game who was the primary receiver on the field with him. I pointed out that the qbs throwing to Zay weren't very accomplished. So I don't what your point is about that. 

Zay may have been open many times when Allen didn't see him but in general most people would consider Zay as not having really a good year. He had a number of drops. At least that is how my "salt shaker" sees it. 

6 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

If he steps up and reaches the potential he was thought to have then we gave a pretty solid group at WR. Big”if” but let’s give him a chance. 

I've been a pretty vocal skeptic of Zay, but it would be huge for this regime/franchise if he were to turn the corner. You always wanna see "your" guys work out. 

He's never gonna be a great vertical threat, but he doesn't have to be in this offense. Get open, catch the ball consistently, and get some YAC yards. I'll believe it when I see it, but that would certainly be a welcome development. 

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is nothing unusual about receivers taking some time to develop into full fledge receivers in the league. The Steelers Ju Ju Smith-Schuster took some time before he became a good receiver for the Steelers. And now he is their primary receiver. Zay was a super productive college receiver for East Carolina, a second tier college program. So it shouldn't be surprising that there was an acclimation period for him. Let's not forget that this mostly possession receiver has had precision qbs throwing to him.

I doubt that he is going to be a primary receiver for us because he doesn't have the required explosive or even quick traits on the field. But that doesn't mean that he can't be a solid to good receiver for us. I'm looking for him to step it up this year.  

Zay had something more than the usual transition going on. It seems he was held back by some stuff going on between his ears. We will probably never know what that’s about, which is probably as it should be. IF he has that worked out, I think he can be a very solid contributor, here or somewhere else. 

41 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

But but he sucks

/sarcasm 

So being ripped somehow meant DK sucked and nothing more than a physical freak...but now being ripped somehow means Zay hasn't sucked?  

LMAO, only on this board.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So being ripped somehow meant DK sucked and nothing more than a physical freak...but now being ripped somehow means Zay hasn't sucked?  

What are you talking about that pic and his 40 time basically made DK's hype.

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I've been a pretty vocal skeptic of Zay, but it would be huge for this regime/franchise if he were to turn the corner. You always wanna see "your" guys work out. 

He's never gonna be a great vertical threat, but he doesn't have to be in this offense. Get open, catch the ball consistently, and get some YAC yards. I'll believe it when I see it, but that would certainly be a welcome development. 

He had some pretty good games, he’s really the only WR they have who is able to work inside and outside. He’s shuffled QBs a ton. I’m willing to bet with some consistency at that position, he also shows consistency.

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Did I say that about DK???

come on man.  At least get the right person to correct.   

AND FWIW it was a comedic take.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sucks that you’re more of a DK fan than a Zay fan at this point.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is this intentional "salt shaking"?  One of the primary beefs around here is that Smith-Schuster hit >70% of his catches for 917 yds during his rookie season, while Zay was struggling to catch just over 1/3 of his targets for 316 yds, after we traded up to take him ahead of Smith-Schuster.

Somehow the fact that Smith-Schuster was catching passes from a HOF QB and playing across from a HOF WR on a top-10 offense while Zay was catching passes from Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman, doesn't factor into the TBD assessment.

Daboll likes to scheme his receivers open, and Zay was open as schemed many a time Allen either didn't process his reads far enough, or lacked time.

So you are saying that Zay dropped all those passes his rookie year because AB wasn't on the other side of the field?

I get what you are trying to say, but it just isn't really accurate in terms to just how bad Zay did play as a rookie.  You are trying to say Zay wasn't more productive because he didnt have better players around him.  Its one thing to not have compiled as much stats as JuJu, but its a whole other thing to go out there and just suck when you get your chances.  He could not catch a cold his rookie year.  Had nothing to do with anything other than himself not making plays.  

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Probably has more to do with the fact that he wasn't the best receiver on his college team even with the abs.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If the man could ever figure out why his hands turned into claws he would be AWESOME

Here is to hoping he works guys right off the roster because he is so good this year.

I thought he was much improved last year. Don’t recall many drops.