Analyzing the Jets' pick of Quinnen Williams AND why is Adam Gase hiding?

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Leonard Williams is an absolute beast...that will be quite a paring...the Williams brothers in the middle of the line...just like when we had the Williams brothers(Kyle and Mario)...in the AFC East

Let us all stop and give thanks for all of our new OL guys, and pray they are better than expected. I know Josh Allen and Shady agree! 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Leonard Williams is an absolute beast...that will be quite a paring...the Williams brothers in the middle of the line...just like when we had the Williams brothers(Kyle and Mario)...in the AFC East

L Williams was actually pretty disappointing last year. Needs to rebound. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was very surprised the Jets went with Q. Leonard Williams is considered a borderline bust here in Jersey, not because he isn't a good player , but they expected greatness, which he is not at that level, at least yet. 

You look at that defense, the secondary is shaky and they literally have no premiere edge rusher, i'm sure Q was the highest on the board but the majority of Jet fans wanted Allen, because of their lack of edge rushers. I guess we'll see how it plays out. 

Good point on the Gase non sighting, pretty unusual for a first year HC no? Makes me appreciate what McBeane has brought to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

I was very surprised the Jets went with Q. Leonard Williams is considered a borderline bust here in Jersey, not because he isn't a good player , but they expected greatness, which he is not at that level, at least yet. 

You look at that defense, the secondary is shaky and they literally have no premiere edge rusher, i'm sure Q was the highest on the board but the majority of Jet fans wanted Allen, because of their lack of edge rushers. I guess we'll see how it plays out. 

Good point on the Gase non sighting, pretty unusual for a first year HC no? Makes me appreciate what McBeane has brought to Buffalo.

Problem with Leonard is he doesn’t make game changing plays. Often invisible until he commits a stupid penalty. Good run defender. 

2 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

The Jets got three really, really good Front 7 players this Draft. Quinnen Williams, Jachai Polite and Blake Cashman. It's a good return for them.

I can’t believe that anyone is expectation anything positive from Polite.  The Jets wasted their 3rd round pick when they took him. 

They absolutely should've taken Allen with their first pick too. 

Edited by BarleyNY

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Problem with Leonard is he doesn’t make game changing plays. Often invisible until he commits a stupid penalty. Good run defender. 

I like when their game changing plays are penalties!  Especially when they play us twice a year. Just don’t hit Josh late!

Oh....wait....that never seems to draw a flag. 

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I can’t believe that anyone is expectation anything positive from Polite.  The Jets wasted their 3rd round pick when they took him. 

They absolutely should've taken Allen with their first pick too. 

If Polite can stay on the straight and narrow he will be a decent pick in my opinion. But it is a big IF. 

As Williams over Allen.... if they had Williams as the best guy on their board they did the right thing. What I have heard is that more teams had Williams as their #1 overall player than had Bosa or Allen or Oliver or anyone else for that matter. 

I can only hope that the Jets screwed up their draft. One wish on my bucket list is that I get to see Jets fans starting fires in the aisles again as the Bills are kicking their a**** on prime time TV.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Nothing wrong with that philosophy if you do not burn the budget.

....agree...Marv tried it with Dockery, Langston Walker, etc.....had the "beef" but a long ways off from USDA "choice"......."building from the ball out" is older than dirt......look at "The Hogs" or our very own "Electric Company".....HOF duos like Jones/Hutch or Shell/Upshaw that Holmgren called "legendary"....still like to revisit Cowher's quote that, "the OL is THE most important UNIT on the football field...they break down as a unit and all else fails offensively".....

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Polite can stay on the straight and narrow he will be a decent pick in my opinion. But it is a big IF. 

As Williams over Allen.... if they had Williams as the best guy on their board they did the right thing. What I have heard is that more teams had Williams as their #1 overall player than had Bosa or Allen or Oliver or anyone else for that matter. 

Yep.

Macagnon couldn't trade out and felt he HAD to take Q. 

Leonard Williams is in the fifth year of his rookie contract.  He'll be much more expensive than Q next year, and will have five years of wear and tear on his body.  This draft pick looks to me like the Jets are just planning ahead, wanting to keep at least one great D lineman in place at all times.  Two is better of course but the budget doesn't allow that in all cases.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Such a beast that he had less tackles than their injured safety (maye) who only played 5 games..

..maybe he gets back on track this year, but he hasn't been a "beast" for a couple years now

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that as time passes, we will see that the 2019 draft class was not a good one. 2020 is going to make this draft look piss poor.

Jmo.

4 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Jets took the Top Rated player at three that just so happened to be a DT. It could be argued that after Tillery was taken by the Chargers the quality of DT"s in the draft dropped dramatically. Whereas quality Edge Rushers were still available in round three where the Jets selected Polite. Up until Polites disastrous combine and pro-day he was rated a top 15 draft pick. The Jets have someone on their staff that was familiar with Polite. So perhaps it was a strategy that fell into place for the Jets.

This is a good rationalization. I like Polite as well. But do you pick at #3 hoping Polite falls to you at 68? So many teams coulda taken Polite.

i think Maccagbsn just felt Quinnen Williams was so much better than Josh Allen that he could ignore need and go bpa.