Analyzing the Jets' pick of Quinnen Williams AND why is Adam Gase hiding?

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

You always take BPA. It's not redundant if you find a way to utilize the talent. Moreover, you can never have enough quality front players, and Quinnen is vastly more of a backfield disrupter than Leonard is.

I agree that Quinnen 2019 is better than Leonard 2019 though Leonard 2015 was hyped more than Q 2019.  That said, the correct comparison to analyze the decision shd not be Leonard vs Quinnen. It shd be Leonard + Quinnen vs. Leonard + Allen.

56 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think that as time passes, we will see that the 2019 draft class was not a good one. 2020 is going to make this draft look piss poor.

Jmo.

Hopefully Ed Oliver and Cody Ford will be the exceptions then?

• Like (+1) 2

I'm saying it right here and now: Quinnen Williams will not live up to the hype.  He happened to play on a very good Alabama team but he looks 'doughy' to me.  I'm not saying he'll be a bust by any means, but I think he'll wind up about the same as Jadeveon Clowney; some nice plays during the games, some nice games during the season, but overall a player that will see rotational duty and not but someone who helps the Jets make it to the Super Bowl.

8 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Now getting to the speculation part - I wonder if there is tension already brewing between the coaching staff and the front office for the Jets. We saw several soundbites of McD around the draft. He was a presence in the War Room and also accessible to the media. In contrast, Adam Gase has been nowhere to be seen. I think every one of the other coaches has been at press conferences or opined on the draft picks. What is happening there? Is it because the coaching staff preferred Josh Allen and Mike Mac went Q. Williams?

Adam Gase can not go out into direct sunlight for obvious reasons.

9 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It is kind of bizarre that they keep spending high draft picks on the same position.  Kind of like the Detroit Lions and WR’s awhile back.  Bills were probably the only team in the top 10 who even considered trading up for Q Williams, so in that respect Jets were unlucky that nobody below them was in the market for a DT no matter how good a prospect Q Williams was.  

Who said the Bills were looking to trade up for Williams.  Everything I read said it was for Oliver.

8 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

The Jets got three really, really good Front 7 players this Draft. Quinnen Williams, Jachai Polite and Blake Cashman. It's a good return for them.

Yeah, well they probably should have built around their young QB a little more.

Seems like the Jets have been focusing on their defense and ignoring the offense ever since the Rex Ryan days.

Jets spent too heavily on the front 7 IMO. It would have made more sense for them to pick Allen as the premier edge rusher they badly need and then address the O-line, a weakness, to better protect and help develop their young QB (as Beane has tried to do). I also agree that they could have no assurance that Polite would be there in the third when they got to pick. 

Mind you, if Polite pans out anything like his 2018 tape their front will be scary good.

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think that as time passes, we will see that the 2019 draft class was not a good one. 2020 is going to make this draft look piss poor.

Jmo.

Yea I don't think it was a great class. I do think those top 5 players - Bosa, Q, Oliver, Allen and White are legit though.

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I'm saying it right here and now: Quinnen Williams will not live up to the hype.  He happened to play on a very good Alabama team but he looks 'doughy' to me.  I'm not saying he'll be a bust by any means, but I think he'll wind up about the same as Jadeveon Clowney; some nice plays during the games, some nice games during the season, but overall a player that will see rotational duty and not but someone who helps the Jets make it to the Super Bowl.

Quinnen is a very good player. Make no mistake, he was the best Alabama defensive lineman last year. The thing is, he only started for 1 season. He needs more work but he will do it because he, from all accounts, is a great kid. Unlike most, I didn't think that he would go in the top 5. I thought that he would be there at 9 for us.

There are different ways of looking at the DT situation.....We could say that Quinnen benefitted greatly from playing at Alabama. We could also allege that Oliver benefitted from playing against weak sisters compared to Alabama's opponents. Probably some of both is true.

I hope that Williams has a great career and wins games against the Pats, and that our draftees (especially Cody Ford) are pro bowlers.

• Like (+1) 1

Absolutely there is dysfunction in the relationship between Gase and Maccagnan.  Rich Cimini, Jets beat reporter for ESPN was a guest on One Bills Drive yesterday (https://www.buffalobills.com/audio/obl-5-6-bills-te-tommy-sweeney-joins-the-show-jets-offseason-talk-with-rich-cimi) and confirmed there was a rift between Maccagnan and Gase earlier over free agent signings.  That supposedly has been smoothed over.  There has been speculation that Gregg Williams wanted Oliver instead of Q Williams because of Oliver's superior penetration ability.  I think its only a matter of time before there is open warfare in the Jets' front office.  That will be almost as entertaining as watching our Bills crush the Jets on opening day in the Meadowlands.

• Thank you (+1) 1