Analyzing the Jets' pick of Quinnen Williams AND why is Adam Gase hiding?

There is a  debate about BPA vs. need even at the very top of the draft. That is why teams routinely trade up when they have needs at QB even if the BPA is a non-QB.

As Bills fans, we have the luxury of watching the Jets twice a year and more importantly studying the Jets tape prior to the meetings. I was very confident that the Jets will take Josh Allen rather than Q, WIlliams. This is notwithstanding the fact that I feel Q. WIlliams is a genuine top 5 talent. That being said, the presence of Leonard WIlliams (hose hype before the 2015 Draft was even more than Q. WIlliams in 2019), whose option had just been picked up, makes the Q. Williams pick up very questionable, at least in my mind.

Here are 2 articles that discuss the same concerns:

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/05/04/new-york-jets-quinnen-williams-must-achieve-all-pro-status-to-justify-selection/

The above article talks about history repeating itself with Mikey Mac taking BPA (L. WIlliams) in 2015 when he already had Mo and Sheldon Richardon and teh disastrous consequences that followed. 

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/nfl-talent-evaluators-raise-concerns-with-some-jets-draft-picks/306813068

“You take the best player on the board in the draft because ‘blue’ players are so hard to find,” an evaluator said, “but if you take the Jets’ defense and take their four best players, three of them play the position that just got drafted with the third pick. You’ve got Leonard Williams, you just paid Henry Anderson and then last year you used a third-round pick on Nathan Shepherd, who is pretty good. What is going on here?”

Do we think Gregg Williams will be some kind of magician who can make EDGEs out of Q. WIlliams or Leonard Williams? And even if he can, why go for the converted EDGE when there was a readymade blue chip EDGE (Josh Allen) sitting there?

Now getting to the speculation part - I wonder if there is tension already brewing between the coaching staff and the front office for the Jets. We saw several soundbites of McD around the draft. He was a presence in the War Room and also accessible to the media. In contrast, Adam Gase has been nowhere to be seen. I think every one of the other coaches has been at press conferences or opined on the draft picks. What is happening there? Is it because the coaching staff preferred Josh Allen and Mike Mac went Q. Williams?

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

The author should read his own article.

The Jets only have Leonard Williams because they drafted him despite having 3 other solid DTs at the time: Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and Damon Harrison. All 3 are on their second or third team since Williams was drafted.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The Jets have been investing insane capital in the front 7 ever since Vernon Gholston and none have really worked out that well for them... 

Same with the Redskins and the 49ers.  It's almost as if that's not a winning formula...

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The Jets only have Leonard Williams because they drafted him despite having 3 other solid DTs at the time: Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and Damon Harrison. All 3 are on their second or third team since Williams was drafted.

It is kind of bizarre that they keep spending high draft picks on the same position.  Kind of like the Detroit Lions and WR’s awhile back.  Bills were probably the only team in the top 10 who even considered trading up for Q Williams, so in that respect Jets were unlucky that nobody below them was in the market for a DT no matter how good a prospect Q Williams was.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Puzzled by this comment (Sry). Isnt that the author's point? Why let history repeat itself with the Q. Williams pick? That leads to too many DTs and no real good EDGE which leads to an unbalanced DL. Especially when the opportunity cost was a blue chip EDGE in Josh Allen.

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Puzzled by this comment (Sry). Isnt that the author's point? Why let history repeat itself with the Q. Williams pick? That leads to too many DTs and no real good EDGE which leads to an unbalanced DL. Especially when the opportunity cost was a blue chip EDGE in Josh Allen.

Well, the implication seems to be that the Jets have a very talented up-front presence, and therefore shouldn't be drafting such a player.

My point is that the author seems to be forgetting that the Jets only have a talented up-front presence because they didn't draft for need back in 2015. Had they gone expressly for need, they'd have drafted Trae Waynes, since their corners were brutal in 2014.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chemical said:

You build from the lines out, haven't you heard that fact before? I heard Steve Tasker say it.

I heard that the players that are closest to the ball matter the most.?

Jets took the Top Rated player at three that just so happened to be a DT. It could be argued that after Tillery was taken by the Chargers the quality of DT"s in the draft dropped dramatically. Whereas quality Edge Rushers were still available in round three where the Jets selected Polite. Up until Polites disastrous combine and pro-day he was rated a top 15 draft pick. The Jets have someone on their staff that was familiar with Polite. So perhaps it was a strategy that fell into place for the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

There is a  debate about BPA vs. need even at the very top of the draft. That is why teams routinely trade up when they have needs at QB even if the BPA is a non-QB.

As Bills fans, we have the luxury of watching the Jets twice a year and more importantly studying the Jets tape prior to the meetings. I was very confident that the Jets will take Josh Allen rather than Q, WIlliams. This is notwithstanding the fact that I feel Q. WIlliams is a genuine top 5 talent. That being said, the presence of Leonard WIlliams (hose hype before the 2015 Draft was even more than Q. WIlliams in 2019), whose option had just been picked up, makes the Q. Williams pick up very questionable, at least in my mind.

Here are 2 articles that discuss the same concerns:

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/05/04/new-york-jets-quinnen-williams-must-achieve-all-pro-status-to-justify-selection/

The above article talks about history repeating itself with Mikey Mac taking BPA (L. WIlliams) in 2015 when he already had Mo and Sheldon Richardon and teh disastrous consequences that followed. 

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/nfl-talent-evaluators-raise-concerns-with-some-jets-draft-picks/306813068

Do we think Gregg Williams will be some kind of magician who can make EDGEs out of Q. WIlliams or Leonard Williams? And even if he can, why go for the converted EDGE when there was a readymade blue chip EDGE (Josh Allen) sitting there?

Now getting to the speculation part - I wonder if there is tension already brewing between the coaching staff and the front office for the Jets. We saw several soundbites of McD around the draft. He was a presence in the War Room and also accessible to the media. In contrast, Adam Gase has been nowhere to be seen. I think every one of the other coaches has been at press conferences or opined on the draft picks. What is happening there? Is it because the coaching staff preferred Josh Allen and Mike Mac went Q. Williams?

Leonard Williams is an absolute beast...that will be quite a paring...the Williams brothers in the middle of the line...just like when we had the Williams brothers(Kyle and Mario)...in the AFC East

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Allen was the best player in the draft. Jacksonville got a gift and didn't overthink it. Oliver is a better fit for Buffalo than Williams if they want a true penetrator and disruptor. 

He may or may not turn out to be but he was not the top ranked. 

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

You build from the lines out, haven't you heard that fact before? I heard Steve Tasker say it.

I know I'm dating myself but LOU SABAN said that way back when.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The Jets have been investing insane capital in the front 7 ever since Vernon Gholston and none have really worked out that well for them... 

...please God help 'em keep the streak alive........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Allen was the best player in the draft. Jacksonville got a gift and didn't overthink it. Oliver is a better fit for Buffalo than Williams if they want a true penetrator and disruptor. 

I think all of this is really disputable on who is going to be the best player when all said and done......I am always wary of that guy that dominates on a DL of very good players......so I think Oliver could end up being the best of the bunch.

• Like (+1) 1