Buffalo Bills QB Tyree Jackson’s long draft wait chronicled in ESPN+’s NFL Draft Academy

MOBILE, ALABAMA - DECEMBER 22: Tyree Jackson #3 of the Buffalo Bulls throws the ball during the first half of the Dollar General Bowl against the Troy Trojans on December 22, 2018 in Mobile, Alabama. (Photo by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images)

Getty Images

MOBILE, ALABAMA - DECEMBER 22: Tyree Jackson #3 of the Buffalo Bulls throws the ball during the first half of the Dollar General Bowl against the Troy Trojans on December 22, 2018 in Mobile, Alabama. (Photo by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images)

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

“So is there a chance that nobody wants me?”

Doubt crept into the mind of Tyree Jackson after he went undrafted in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Jackson’s draft stock was all over the board heading into the 2019 NFL Draft. The quarterback was projected to be selected anywhere from the third round to the seventh round, but he never heard his name called. After going undrafted, he wondered if he belonged in the NFL at all.

Jackson’s journey to the league was chronicled throughout ESPN+'s NFL Draft Academy. The eight episode series concluded with the episode Destination Draft and showed the former University at Buffalo as he waited through day two and three to hear his name called.

Jackson’s optimism quickly turned into frustration during the episode as he sees other quarterbacks coming off the board.

“Did I kill somebody or something?” Jackson asks his agents Brandon Parker and Brian McLaughlin. “Like what I do recently?”

His frustration grows further after he sees a report that multiple teams were interested in Northwestern quarterback Clayton Thorson. After Thorson was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in Round 5, Jackson walks out of his living room and slams a door.

Jackson is next shown having a conversation with Parker reminding him what he said about the UB quarterback’s odds of going undrafted.

“How did we get here though? You gonna get struck by lightning, bro. You said, if you go undrafted, I have a better chance at getting struck by lightning.”

No lightning comes, but Jackson goes undrafted and the conversation quickly turns into finding him a home as an undrafted free agent. McLaughlin mentions the Seattle Seahawks’ interest and says the quarterback is high on their list. Shortly thereafter, the Buffalo Bills swoop in to get Jackson.

More

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/buffalo-bills-qb-tyree-jacksons-long-draft-wait-chronicled-in-espns-nfl-draft-academy.html

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, fridge said:

He got some terrible advice 

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

he got bad advice

The NFL ADVISED him to stay in school when they said he wouldn't be an early pick.   

That's all the advice he should have needed.     It was just a risky call on his part.  

• Like (+1) 2

I saw a Twitter video yesterday of Tyree working at Joe Licata's training facility.  Looked like he was focused on limiting his stride and maintaining balance through the throwing motion.  We know he spent lots of time with Jordan Palmer, Josh, Sam and Stidham? I think.  If he can get his throwing motion more under control it will be interesting to see the results.  I wonder if the Bills have been able to monitor his progress and that may be related to their interest in signing him.  Also, having another QB in camp that throws like Josh might have a good effect on training the receivers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

He's gonna have to switch positions if he wants to make it in the league. That windup is just too much. My hunch is that the Bills want to give the Logan Thomas experiment another shot.

Playing behind 2 big, strong arm QBs should help Jacksons progress.  Allen and Derek Anderson should give him a template on how to play.  If not he could take a swing at TE.  6-7 250 and athletic isnt a bad guy to keep on the team.  My guess they try to stash him on P.S.  In all seriousness Dorsey was a Qb coach for Newton.  Allen is a similar player.  For Jackson to grow at the position he is probably at the best place.

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Playing behind 2 big, strong arm QBs should help Jacksons progress.  Allen and Derek Anderson should give him a template on how to play.  If not he could take a swing at TE.  6-7 250 and athletic isnt a bad guy to keep on the team.  My guess they try to stash him on P.S.  In all seriousness Dorsey was a Qb coach for Newton.  Allen is a similar player.  For Jackson to grow at the position he is probably at the best place.

It’s bought a few years on NFL rosters before! (Recently, in fact.) Worth a shot, pray for the best. 

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s no guarantee anything would’ve been different for him next year.  But absent a legit minor league system in the NFL, he made a bad decision.  

Ahhhh...hindsight vision. ALL the experts agreed he was a guy good enough to be drafted. Our own GM was surprised he wasnt drafted. So were other GMs. Unfortunately, the teams interested in drafting a later round QB didnt agree. Every decision is bad when things dont work out right?

55 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I saw a Twitter video yesterday of Tyree working at Joe Licata's training facility.  Looked like he was focused on limiting his stride and maintaining balance through the throwing motion.  We know he spent lots of time with Jordan Palmer, Josh, Sam and Stidham? I think.  If he can get his throwing motion more under control it will be interesting to see the results.  I wonder if the Bills have been able to monitor his progress and that may be related to their interest in signing him.  Also, having another QB in camp that throws like Josh might have a good effect on training the receivers.

Looking forward to him playing about 8 quarters in the preseason and seeing how much he's improved with the coaching.     He was not a confidence inspiring player at UB but he always made big time plays........next steps are obviously doing it consistently and for full performances, finishing strong etc...    Not *expecting* him to make it but maybe he can make the 53 or PS.......and should be a lot more fun than watching Derek Anderson play with the 3's or some no-chance camp arm playing out the string.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Looking forward to him playing about 8 quarters in the preseason and seeing how much he's improved with the coaching.     He was not a confidence inspiring player at UB but he always made big time plays........next steps are obviously doing it consistently and for full performances, finishing strong etc...    Not *expecting* him to make it but maybe he can make the 53 or PS.......and should be a lot more fun than watching Derek Anderson play with the 3's or some no-chance camp arm playing out the string.   

Yeah, a potential reason to not complain about the week 4, home preseason game.