2019 Bills Passing Game - What do you expect?

On 5/5/2019 at 11:09 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I want to see them run ~3 more plays per game, which would give us about 1050 plays per game, most of them pass plays.

Interestingly, of last year's top-10 offensive teams.....8 passed for more than 4000 yds

Two passed for less: 1) the Seasnakes with 3093 at #7 and 2) Da Bears with 3564 at #9.

So....3,500 yds seems kind of arbitrary, and not a barrier...to really compete as a passing team, as you point out, need to be >4000 yds or at least 250 yds per game

On the other hand, to your point, somewhere around 220 ypg seems to be a "floor" for effective QB play, which would be just over 3,500 yds per season.

I don't care how many TD Josh throws, just as long as he throws considerably more of 'em than he throws INTs.

Interesting, and this kind of sounds somewhat similar to what I was thinking as well. The great Bill Walsh once said that rushing atts. plus completions were important to him. I believe he was referring to getting the ball in the hands of the playmakers.

Some background stats from the last 5 yrs. I've researched:

Over this period the Bills have averaged 29.5 rush/atts./game, the league has been 26.4.  Yes of course we are running team, but we had only 18.8 comp./game, where as the league was 22.1/gm. Totals  48.3 atts+comp/gm. vs league avg of 48.5.

Now our divisional rivals from the coast: 27.9 rush and 24.1 comps for a total of 52.0. Interestingly, the one year the Pats didn't make the SB and lost to Denver, the numbers were slighty above average  at 49.2 . They are typically at 52-53. Their playmakers get an extra 3-4 chances a game to make a play.

So, I'm thinking with an increase in accuracy due to the offseason improvements on offense, fewer drops and increased experience by Allen

that we can add 3 more comp/gm. I believe getting the ball in the hands of our playmakers those extra times can only help. How many times did we drop a pass that could have been a first down that keeps the drive going and leads to points.

Finally, at 12.5 /comp (last year 12.3) and 3 more comps for 16 games it equals an improvement of 600yards. I think 3500 yards or around 220-225 yards a game is a reasonable expectation.

Edited by Josh "Real Deal" Allen
  • Like (+1) 2

I can’t say that I expect anything, it’s a total unknown for me. Maybe Allen builds on his late season showing, maybe he looks like crap. 

Hope is where I’m at. I hope Allen takes a step forward and the Bills look like a competent team on the offensive side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

250 a game would be nice.

If we are winning games then this would be ideal. A 4000 yard season would be impressive but to me it would also indicate the run game is sound and effective and the defense is doing their job. 

• Like (+1) 1

First and foremost our QB can not be the best runner this year. If he is then the RB's and Line are not doing there job and expectations plummet quickly(only expectation then will be when josh allen gets hurt).

IF our RB's do the production then

Josh Allen throws for 3500 yards 20 td 15 int.  This will show us that he and this team has grown and taken the next step. 

IF we are expected to be a playoff team?

Josh Allen throws 3650 yards 22 td 13 int. Without a pure #1 WR and first year rebuild on offense (that will be the feel) it will show Josh has made a huge step and can be all he can be

I think Josh finishes between 3500 and 3800 yards passing with 500 to 600 yards rushing.  25 passing TDs with 8 rushing TDs and about a dozen INTs.  

And if if he does, we will be making not only the playoffs but will advance at least once.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I do think he’s capable maybe of putting up bigger numbers but I’ve been saying now for awhile I think the coaching staff is gearing for a big time run first approach first. 

It’s just my opinion but I think they will try to protect Allen’s flaws a little especially the first few games by trying to impose their will in the run game and letting him flash some arm talent on playactions etc etc limiting his attempts. If the run game works you won’t see big stats from him. Of course tons of things play into this like being behind early or turnovers. It’s just a theory of mine anyways that they’re planning a heavy run attack 

Teams will continue to stack up the line to stop the run and force Allen to throw the football.  If he is not accurate enough to move the chains in that situation nothing will matter. 

21 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I would like to see 2500-3000 yards and 15 tds 

Josh will probably run a lot of those in as opposed to throw from inside the 5 cause well he’s a monster in that area of the field. 

I’d prefer less than 15 ints. 

What a pathetically low bar.  I sincerely hope that's not the goal.   No starting quarterback in the league put up that few yards over the course of the season last year.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think Josh finishes between 3500 and 3800 yards passing with 500 to 600 yards rushing.  25 passing TDs with 8 rushing TDs and about a dozen INTs.  

And if if he does, we will be making not only the playoffs but will advance at least once.  

That's more like it.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't know where Vegas is getting 6.5 wins form but IMO Josh Allen is a QB who wins-his stats will never match his ability to win games. He was 5-5 last year almost all by himself-which is remarkable for a rookie QB-his elusiveness and pocket awareness is already top of the league-he will never be a Marino but he doesn't have to be-IMO Allen is a far stronger version of Blake Bortles and if you have a strong D you can win big time with a guy like that.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

There's been a lot of talk about WRs and everyone knows Josh Allen will need to develop his passing game this year.  We know Daboll wants to run the ball successfully.

I'm curious as to what is expected from the Bills Offensive Passing game to get them to contend for a Playoff spot.

First some passing statistics from last year (Team category stats -Net Yards Passing- from NFL.com).

2 Teams had more than 5,000 yards passing.  12 teams had more than 4,000-4,999.  9 teams had 3.500-3,999 and 9 teams had less than 3,500. 

A mid level team had averaged 26 Passing TD and threw the ball about 35 times a game.

2018 Bills Stats (31st) - 2,974 - 13 TDs - 31.2 passes per game.  Rookie 12 of 16 games

2017 Bills Stats (31st) - 2,825 - 16 TDs - 29.8 passes per game. Tuhrod

2016 Bills Stats (30th) - 3,036 - 17 TDs - 29.6 passes per game. Tuhrod

IMO even with a strong running game the Bills / Josh Allen have to break into the "over 3,500 yards barrier" and throw 20+ TDs at a minimum.

Like I said, Just curious as to what the board is expecting this year.  It seems to be the first step and if this thread gets any traction the

next questions would be HOW do they get there?  Wherever "there" is.  The mix between WR, TE and RB would logically follow.

I expect over 3200 yards passing and 20 - 25 TD's. 10 INT's 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Allen completed app 53% of his passes, or, about 16-30.  2 additional completions per game would raise that to a slightly more acceptable 60%. Flipping the TD -INT ratio to a +.....sustaining drives.,and, the improvement expected from the offensive additions...I 'expect' the passing game to be more productive. Overall, with the RB depth, I think the offense will be a bit  conservative, with  the THREAT of the Big Play. 20-24 TDs - 12-16 INT's, 3200 yards would be a step in the right direction. 

Edited by Georgie

Safeties up or playing cover 1 then take your deep shots. If 2 deep zone, run or work the middle with Beasley, RBs releasing, or your TEs. 

Throw in a few Daboll "fun" plays to take advantage of any defensive tendencies.

And overall less offensive miscues leading to penalties and bad field position.

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

Allen will “have to” break those numbers in order for what?  

If he plays 16 I expect right around 3500 and 20

I could of been clearer in my OP.  I was asking what people think JA and the offense would probably need numbers wise to put

an offense together (passing wise) that could get them to the playoffs.   The 3,500 yards, 20TDs seemed to me an achievable goal. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I figure that is a good range which would show one big improvement from recent Bills teams.

So far I'm seeing that most people are pretty reasonable as to how much JA and the team improves statistically.

I'll say I will be ecstatic if JA is involved in 33 TDs. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, TOboy said:

I’d be thrilled with 3400 yards, 18 passing TD’s and limit the interceptions to 12-14.

With our defence and potential running game that likely gets you to 9-10 wins.

Those passing numbers would be lucky to win 8 games

Bills defence wasnt nearly as good as you think

10 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Those passing numbers would be lucky to win 8 games

Bills defence wasnt nearly as good as you think

And then you look at our schedule.  And add Ed Oliver a new OL and WRs.  Edmunds another year of experience.  Gaines and Kj to our CBs.  Possibly ansah or another pass rusher after the 7th.  

Our running game WILL be much improved.  Allen went 5-5 with no OL, no WRs and no Running game.  So how did we go .500 if you defense isn’t very good?  Coaching? Luck?  He went 5-5 with nothing on O and now we’re clearly better with an easier schedule.....and he’d be lucky to have the same winning percentage as last year just because of “stats”?  Meh. The improvement in our running game will be enough to get 8 wins of allen only hits the above stats.

• Like (+1) 2