Things to do/see in Toronto

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

my levels of irony might not work in this case

I didn’t mean to imply there are obscenities in The Wizard.

I should have said, “You’re not missing anything, except the obscenities, the complete lack of melody, or any sort of harmonic progression.”

Edited by The Senator

13 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I didn’t mean to imply there are obscenities in The Wizard.

I should have said, “You’re not missing anything, except the obscenities.”

goodness no, that wasn't happening on FM radio in the mid 1980s

a residence friend who owed me big time for helping him pass a finance mid-term filled up 40 hours or so of cassette tape with the show during Christmas break and his return to Motown

strange though that so many of these songs in the mix were vital but i to this day have no idea at all who the artist was or the title of the song, even with all the stuff on youtube and fan sites of The Wizard

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

I used to be myopic, until I had my natural lenses surgically replaced with nifty new multi-focal lenses.

BTW, “Rotary to cellular” makes no sense - ‘rotary to DTMF’ or ‘land-line to cellular’ would be more appropriate analogies.

I’ve actually listened to Drake, and other ‘rappers’ - how else would I know I hate it?

Oh it sure does make sense. Good sense too. And it wasn’t a true analogy interestingly enough. It was more my own unique type of stage whisper. A slight of tongue for the assembled audience here at Two Bills Drive. Better yet it’s like when Mingus screams “I know” when the music gripped him and he had some of Mezz Mezzrow’s “mezz” on em’.

Some of Mezz’ muggles. 

You wouldn’t know anything about that, youngster.

Not that type of primitive.

Not that type of stick and rock. 

And no, you haven’t listened to Drake. Googling him for the sake of reference doesn’t count.

You just hate what you don’t understand. 

Even though Rod Serling tried to intervene.  

Despite my racial handicap, even I know that that’s ok for some.

Including you, I think, my friend. 

1958 was a good year for me too, I believe. 

Some years before I was born. 

Silly me, I’m being impolite ... I’m glad you got your eyes fixed, friend. Hopefully it was in Toronto.  If only they had those fancy-shmanzy lenses to know good music. Or maybe what I mean is to broaden your scope of what might constitute good music. 

Or maybe simply to not stereotype or be intransigent.

The world would certainly be a little more interesting.

And perhaps less dogmatic. 

In Toronto. 

Edited by Juror#8

1 hour ago, Juror#8 said:

Oh it sure does make sense. Good sense too. And it wasn’t a true analogy interestingly enough. It was more my own unique type of stage whisper. A slight of tongue for the assembled audience here at Two Bills Drive. Better yet it’s like when Mingus screams “I know” when the music gripped him and he had some of Mezz Mezzrow’s “mezz” on em’.

Some of Mezz’ muggles. 

You wouldn’t know anything about that, youngster.

Not that type of primitive.

Not that type of stick and rock. 

And no, you haven’t listened to Drake. Googling him for the sake of reference doesn’t count.

You just hate what you don’t understand. 

Even though Rod Serling tried to intervene.  

Despite my racial handicap, even I know that that’s ok for some.

Including you, I think, my friend. 

1958 was a good year for me too, I believe. 

Some years before I was born. 

In Toronto. 

I’m glad you got your eyes fixed. Hopefully it was in Toronto.  If only they had those fancy-shmanzy lenses to know good music. Or maybe what I mean is to broaden your scope of what might constitute good music. 

Or maybe simply to not stereotype or be intransigent.

The world would certainly be a little more interesting.

And perhaps less dogmatic. 

In Toronto. 

Thank you so much for calling me “youngster” - I celebrated my 60th natal anniversary last February, and no one has called me that in many years, except my 92-year old father.

I’m very familiar wih Charles Mingus, and Mezz Mezzrow.  I’m a huge jazz fan, and attended my first Newport Jazz Festival in 1990, a few years after I earned my D.M.A.  Saw Miles Davis and Winton Marsalis there, along with George Benson, McCoy Tyner, Harry Connick Jr, Count Basie Orchestra, et al.

And you’re a complete moron if you think I had to ‘Google’ Drake.  I’ve listened to plenty of that sh*t you call music.

I might have had my eyes repaired in Toronto, but it was urgent and I could not wait a year for an appointment.  The Canadian version of nationalized medicine is just so darned efficient, our waiting rooms are filled with Canadians down here.

And no, I wouldn’t know anything about good music, having only studied music theory and composition with two Pulitzer Prize winners.

I don’t know about your ‘racial handicap’, but you certainly have a mental handicap.  It’s obvious you long to seem intelligent, but are failing miserably.

A little respect for your elders please, wiseass.

Edited by The Senator

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Thank you so much for calling me “youngster” - I celebrated my 60th natal anniversary last February, and no one has called me that in many years, except my 92-year old father.

I’m very familiar wih Charles Mingus, and Mezz Mezzrow.  I’m a huge jazz fan, and attended my first Newport Jazz Festival in 1990, a few years after I earned my D.M.A.  Saw Miles Davis and Winton Marsalis there, along with George Benson, McCoy Tyner, Harry Connick Jr, Count Basie Orchestra, et al.

And you’re a complete moron if you think I had to ‘Google’ Drake.  I’ve listened to plenty of that sh*t you call music.

I might have had my eyes repaired in Toronto, but it was urgent and I could not wait a year for an appointment.  The Canadian version of nationalized medicine is just so darned efficient, our waiting rooms are filled with Canadians down here.

And no, I wouldn’t know anything about good music, having only studied music theory and composition with two Pulitzer Prize winners.

I don’t know about your ‘racial handicap’, but you certainly have a mental handicap.  It’s obvious you long to seem intelligent, but are failing miserably.

A little respect for your elders please, wiseass.

This is one of the best interactions that I’ve had all week. My wife doesn’t let me spend too much time doing this anymore. 

Happy wife, happy life ... nah’mean. 

Probably not. 

But more on that later. 

In about 38 sentences. 

And thank you for telling me about yourself. 

That’s a great ice-breaker.

Truly. 

I went into the conversation thinking one thing about you and have since been convinced that my initial suspicions about you were correct. 

Whether that’s any kind of indictment against you is largely insignificant because I like ***** jungle music. 

Also, I don’t want to seem intelligent. 

Actually far from it. 

I just enjoy the idea that for a moment in time someone reads something I write and second-guesses themselves about who is on the other line. 

It’s like Leonard in “Memento.” Except his issue is one of forgetting and yours, I imagine, is an issue of epistemic dysfunction.

Maybe a basic cylinder misfire. 

Who knows, friend ...

Just so you know I’m not sure what epistemological really means. It has a lot of syllables and I think it has to do with the acidic quality of elephant turds. But I used it here because that’s what people who listen to ***** jungle music do. 

Incidentally I’m writing now so that you can exercise and open your 60 year old eyes. Not because of the myopia that you fixed with your fancy shmanzy procedure but because of the myopia that, for you, is probably unfixable. 

But I like teaching. 

Thats probably a fool’s errand of course. And it reinforces your point that I’m an uneducated dolt. 

Which admittedly I am. 

More on that yesterday. 

Probably best that you not waste your time in this thread replying to my rap-toting nonsense. That’s time that would be more valuably spent studying the intricacies of real music with some scholarly type, with a cool Scandinavian name, and who has won countless Pulitzer Prizes and MTV music awards. 

You’re wasting valuable mental capital and intellectual bandwidth discussing music with a low rent, uneducated, unaccomplished dolt who spent 6 years trying to graduate 11th grade (I just said ***** it and started rapping by the way because that’s what the irretrievably lost and profoundly uneducated do. They rap). 

As your last post very clearly indicated, you’re the adult in the room - I’m just a guy with no job and access to the Internet. 

You might know jazz because someone told you to know it and like it. 

Maybe you studied classical because it seems sophisticated. 

Or maybe you did so you can talk about it on football message boards.

You probably hate rap because it wasn’t a chapter in a book you studying under the tutelage of Pulitzer Prize winners. 

You certainly have never ever listened to Drake or any other rap song for that matter. 

Or maybe its because you don't understand hip hop - the background, the culture, the immense popularity, the wordplay, the draw, the fact that all these people who look kinda like you listen to it. 

“A child is born with no state of mind, blind to the ways of mankind ...” 

Ugh. Get Flash out your head.“Glorious conformity” is what the Scandinavian guy said during your real music lessons. 

And you listened. 

Of course. 

I only hope that those “here is what real music sounds like” study sessions were just music study sessions nah’mean. Hope no biology lessons slipped in there because it surely seems like hating rap and extolling the characteristics of “real music” dogmatically is your raison d’ etre. 

Maybe someone planted that soft classical seed a little too deep and meaningfully nah’mean. 

Silly me, that’s just my wiseassness coming out. The function of years of rap listening and too much jacking off when I can’t find a crackpipe to hold instead. The ramblings of the uneducated and fantastically-minded. 

I’m going to go back to my g.e.d prep book. I’m 44 and the g.e.d. has thus far been my Waterloo. 

When you respond and insult me again personally in your next message, being the adult in the room that you’ve shown yourself to me, please also extend some good vibes for my g.e.d test. 

I miss you already. 

I faithfully remain, 

A rapper 

Edited by Juror#8

5 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Man, I hope you didn’t spend a lot of time on that massive missive,  ‘cause I didn’t spend two seconds reading it.

Fixed it for you, but didn’t read it.

Spoiler alert: I kinda knew you wouldn’t read it. 

It’s just kinda your m.o. 

But we’ll let you think that you “didn’t” read it for any reason other than why you really “didn’t” read it. 

It’ll be our secret.

And I already said that about the Waterloo thing silly pants. 

Trying to teach you is my waterloo. 

See, I did it for you. 

Oh you just just wanted to say it so it would be your idea. 

Ok. Quote me saying it again so you can own the last response. 

Here ya go: The Senator is my Waterloo. 

There ya go, chief. 

You can enjoy the superficiality of that. 

Edited by Juror#8

1 minute ago, Juror#8 said:

But I already said that silly pants. 

Trying to teach you is my waterloo. 

See, I did it for you. 

Oh you just just wanted to say it so it would be your idea. 

Ok. Quote me saying it again so you can own the last response. 

Here ya go: The Senator is my Waterloo. 

There ya go, chief. 

You can enjoy the superficiality of that. 

Didn’t read that either.  You’re a very boring troll - most trolls are at least amusing.

Welcome to my Ignore list.

8 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Didn’t read that either.  You’re a very boring troll - most trolls are at least amusing.

Welcome to my Ignore list.

This ignore list ... I like what you’ve done with the place. 

Groovy place to be.

Lot of open-minded, non-judgmental, non-stereo-typing, people in here.

Huh. Interesting.

Ok ... well ... we’re gonna have some drinks and wait for you to wake up.

Dude over here leaning up against the antique armoire said they’ve been waiting in this room for you to wake up for like 60 years. 

60 years, son. 

Damn. 

Night night. 

Edited by Juror#8

On 5/5/2019 at 10:35 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

So, in late June, my fiancee, her son, his girlfriend and I will be travelling to TO for a vacation. For those of you who've been there or live there, what are THE must see attractions? We'll be taking in a Blue Jays game one night.

Any help is appreciated.

I always enjoyed the Ontario Science Center Museum but that was back in the 70s, not sure what it's like these days. I think the last time I was in Toronto was in 82 for a Who concert at CNE Stadium so I am not one of the more knowledgeable folks on the subject ☺. I also remember touring an amazing castle, Casa Loma, that was pretty cool. I remember my older brother and I would play chess with the older folks on Gould and Yonge st. by the big record store, they had chess tables and seats built into the sidewalk. Not sure if that still happens either. Sorry, that's all I got. Hope you have a great trip.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I always enjoyed the Ontario Science Center Museum but that was back in the 70s, not sure what it's like these days. I think the last time I was in Toronto was in 82 for a Who concert at CNE Stadium so I am not one of the more knowledgeable folks on the subject ☺. I also remember touring an amazing castle, Casa Loma, that was pretty cool. I remember my older brother and I would play chess with the older folks on Gould and Yonge st. by the big record store, they had chess tables and seats built into the sidewalk. Not sure if that still happens either. Sorry, that's all I got. Hope you have a great trip.

Booed Joe Jackson off the stage before The Who

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Booed Joe Jackson off the stage before The Who

They were mad about The Clash not playing. I was still outside and on my way in, saving my energy and getting properly buzzed for The Who.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And here I thought my innocent thread was innocent :lol:

We are a selfish and mostly peaceful people, check your guns at the border 

?

• Like (+1) 1