Things to do/see in Toronto

On 5/6/2019 at 12:25 PM, Jrb1979 said:

Its crazy how much its built up around the park. The funny thing is Kings Island is a sister park and its still out in the boonies

Yup, it's getting pretty filled up around the park, I think once the built the mall with Bass Pro it started to build up.

Was just there last year and they were finishing the new coaster. Probably cost us, a family of four, without buying food in the park (you can picnic outside in the parking lot, or tailgate as that's now become legal thanks to former Crack Mayor Ford's brother.....) About $300 for the day. With the young kids we spent most of the day on the kids area and Peanuts/Snoopy Village then the overcrowded water park

Toronto Islands are very cool depending on the weather.  If you got kids, the amusement park is nice.  If you don't, you can check out the clothing-optional beach at Hanlan's Point.  :o

7 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Toronto Islands are very cool depending on the weather.  If you got kids, the amusement park is nice.  If you don't, you can check out the clothing-optional beach at Hanlan's Point.  :o

:lol:

I'll have to pass on that last one.

But thanks for the recommendation!

On 5/5/2019 at 1:35 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

So, in late June, my fiancee, her son, his girlfriend and I will be travelling to TO for a vacation. For those of you who've been there or live there, what are THE must see attractions? We'll be taking in a Blue Jays game one night.

Any help is appreciated.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/2/18/18228969/toronto-food-diary

The roti are as advertised.  

On 5/5/2019 at 3:58 PM, The Senator said:

Well, no probs, you didn’t spend a lifetime studying it, and are certainly very knowledgable of things I am completely ignorant.

BTW, I enjoy almost very form of music, save for rap, which I probably should appreciate since it reminds me of the first primitive humans beating a hollow log (rhythm), or stretching an animal hide across one (drums), or an stretching an animal sinew across one to discover the harmonic series (melody) and invent the first string instrument.

I adore Oscar Peterson, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Sinatra, Connick, etc., as much as I adore Van Morrison, the Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, Springsteen, Dylan, Skynard, Little Feat, etc., as much as I like any music.

As long as it’s good music, I like it.

(BTW, I enjoy good whiskey too - had probably a bit too much bourbon yesterday, but understandable, I hope - I lost a bit of money.)

You didn’t really ‘ride in’ from Butte?  Must have saddle sores!

Good rap is like some of the best poetry. It’s beautiful to listen to the metaphors and word play and interrelation of concepts and then how they’re tied together rhythmically. 

I listen to it before court most days. 

I also was second chair violinist in high school and college and enjoy a glass of whiskey and Partitia No. 3 in E major on repeat to calm myself after a rough day (I love love Hilary Hahn as my contemporary violist of choice btw). 

Anyway ... I don’t really get the mumble rap stuff that’s happening today but anyway ...

Give it a listen sometime and block out some of the gratuitous “*****” and “ni**as” references and listen to the story and the wordplay. Listen to Biggie’s “Ni**as Bleed” or “downfall.” Listen to the story in “Somebody’s gotta die.” It’s like listening to a movie play out. 

Listen to any of Drake’s recent stuff for some good wordplay or older Lil’ Wayne. “6foot, 7 foot” might be one of the most fun songs to listen to conceptually:

”paper chasin, tell that paper ‘look I’m right behind ya,’ bi**ch real gs move in silence like lasagna.” 

Once you figure out what a “g” is in hip hop parlance you might be able appreciate the ability to rhyme together words that well and at the same time factor in different layers of syntactic interplay. 

I don’t expect you to like rap any more after reading this. To you its primitives beating on rocks with sticks or some such thing. But I challenge you to give a few of the songs I mentioned above a listen. Listen newly. Listen for the wordplay and the narrative. It will never sound like Watemusic. But you might be surprised at what you hear with a discerning, non-judgmental, ear. 

Edited by Juror#8

8 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Good rap is like some of the best poetry. It’s beautiful to listen to the metaphors and word play and interrelation of concepts and then how they’re tied together rhythmically. 

I listen to it before court most days. 

I also was second chair violinist in high school and college and enjoy a glass of whiskey and Partitia No. 3 in E major on repeat to calm myself after a rough day (I love love Hilary Hahn as my contemporary violist of choice btw). 

Anyway ... I don’t really get the mumble rap stuff that’s happening today but anyway ...

Give it a listen sometime and block out some of the gratuitous “*****” and “ni**as” references and listen to the story and the wordplay. Listen to Biggie’s “Ni**as Bleed” or “downfall.” Listen to the story in “Somebody’s gotta die.” It’s like listening to a movie play out. 

Listen to any of Drake’s recent stuff for some good wordplay or older Lil’ Wayne. “6foot, 7 foot” might be one of the most fun songs to listen to conceptually:

”paper chasin, tell that paper ‘look I’m right behind ya,’ bi**ch real gs move in silence like lasagna.” 

Once you figure out what a “g” is in hip hop parlance you can appreciate the ability to rhyme together words that well and then factor in different layers of syntactic interplay. 

I don’t expect you to like rap any more after reading this. To you its primitives beating on rocks with sticks or some such thing. But I challenge you to give a few of the songs I mentioned above a listen. Listen newly. Listen for the wordplay and the narrative. It will never sound like Watemusic. But you might be surprised at what you hear with a discerning ear. 

I’m sorry,  but you lost me at “Good rap” - clearly an oxymoron.

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

I’m sorry,  but you lost me at “Good rap” - clearly an oxymoron.

No need to apologize. Don’t take all the blame. There are other variables at play. 

Anyway, not everyone will like everything. Its just not meant to be. Different strokes for different folks. That’s absolutely ok. 

But thankfully your type of myopia and intransigence, foreclosing even the option to substantively challenge your own notions and paradigms, is expiring naturally. 

It’s classic addition by subtraction. 

Rotary to cellular. 

Something to think about the next time you’re in Toronto. 

Edited by Juror#8

Just now, row_33 said:

not sure freestyle rapping will be a good idea for your visit in any corridor of Toronto

Haha. Come on man ... Drake gets away with it. That doesn’t seem fair. 

12 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

he's got talent

i'd advise where not to go at night in the greater Toronto area, but i don't think you can randomly show up like a sitting duck

in those places

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

he's got talent

i'd advise where not to go at night in the greater Toronto area, but i don't think you can randomly show up like a sitting duck

in those places

Fair enough. 

Ill be traveling to Toronto in august. I may send you a pm for touristy destinations. 

12 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Fair enough. 

Ill be traveling to Toronto in august. I may send you a pm for touristy destinations. 

no problem, maybe a coffee or beer if you have the time!

7 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

No need to apologize. Don’t take all the blame. There are other variables at play. 

Anyway, not everyone will like everything. Its just not meant to be. Different strokes for different folks. That’s absolutely ok. 

But thankfully your type of myopia and intransigence, foreclosing even the option to substantively challenge your own notions and paradigms, is expiring naturally. 

It’s classic addition by subtraction. 

Rotary to cellular. 

Something to think about the next time you’re in Toronto. 

I used to be myopic, until I had my natural lenses surgically replaced with nifty new multi-focal lenses.

BTW, “Rotary to cellular” makes no sense - ‘rotary to DTMF’ or ‘land-line to cellular’ would be more appropriate analogies.

8 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

I’ve actually listened to Drake, and other ‘rappers’ - how else would I know I hate it?

13 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I used to be myopic, until I had my natural lenses surgically replaced with nifty new multi-focal lenses.

BTW, “Rotary to cellular” makes no sense - ‘rotary to DTMF’ or ‘land-line to cellular’ would be more appropriate analogies.

I’ve actually listened to Drake, and other ‘rappers’ - how else would I know I hate it?

my last rap stuff was tapes of The Wizard on Detroit's WJLB around 1988