Great interview and insights from Ed Reed.

I’ve always respected Reed’s play but after hearing his thoughts and mindset my respect for him period is immense. Great interview, talks about working with Jaquan Johnson (4:20 mark) and what he believes is a steal for the Bills. He continues after with some very revealing comments and insights on his time in Buffalo. Although he never mentioned Rex Ryan by name I got the impression that he wasn’t too thrilled with Ryan & Co. matter of fact you can tell he felt disrespected.

Bills Mobile: Ed Reed: "Ultimately, in a team sport, it takes a team"
https://www.buffalobills.com/audio/ed-reed-ultimately-in-a-team-sport-it-takes-a-team

I also want to mention that after looking at the current roster, especially the OL position, there is finally some great competition going on for a roster spot. Seeing how many FA OL Beane accumulated and the draft was more of a defensive draft, do you think that Beane could trade 1 or 2 of our OL? I’d hate to see them just outright waive some of these players and receive no compensation for them because they are under contract to us.

One last thing, everyone knows that whenever a new player comes in that there’s a “great debate” whether bleau cheese or ranch for the chicken wings. Everyone knows that the right answer is bleau cheese and the thought occurred to me that Blue Cheese would be kind of a cool nickname for the Bills or for the secondary because nothing covers better.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I’ve always respected Reed’s play but after hearing his thoughts and mindset my respect for him period is immense. Great interview, talks about working with Jaquan Johnson (4:20 mark) and what he believes is a steal for the Bills. He continues after with some very revealing comments and insights on his time in Buffalo. Although he never mentioned Rex Ryan by name I got the impression that he wasn’t too thrilled with Ryan & Co. matter of fact you can tell he felt disrespected.

https://www.buffalobills.com/audio/ed-reed-ultimately-in-a-team-sport-it-takes-a-team

I also want to mention that after looking at the current roster, especially the OL position, there is finally some great competition going on for a roster spot. Seeing how many FA OL Beane accumulated and the draft was more of a defensive draft, do you think that Beane could trade 1 or 2 of our OL? I’d hate to see them just outright waive some of these players and receive no compensation for them because they are under contract to us.

One last thing, everyone knows that whenever a new player comes in that there’s a “great debate” whether bleau cheese or ranch for the chicken wings. Everyone knows that the right answer is bleau cheese and the thought occurred to me that Blue Cheese would be kind of a cool nickname for the Bills or for the secondary because nothing covers better.

More than likely any of the O linemen we would release really don’t have any trade value. I mean maybe if a team is ravaged by injuries in preseason you might land a really low kinda pick. Our guys who carry value surely won’t be traded. Guys like Waddle or Bodine who may not be able to make the cut won’t be worth much. Teams will know by then we can’t keep everyone and just wait to sign them when cut or give us a really low pick or maybe an exchange of picks in round 6 or something 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

None of those guys are worth anything in a trade, besides Morse, Dawkins and Ford.

PS. I think it's "bleu" cheese...I'm not sure though, because I hate it! ?

Ed throwing the staff under the bus was surprising since I thought he had a close relationship with Rex, but we certainly underachieved w the talent on that roster. As far as getting compensation for O lineman, if there’s compensation to be had, Beane will get it, we got a pick for freaking Newhouse last year. Lastly, enough w the nicknames wtf?  

The whole situation was a cluster*****.  Rex and Rob; Whaley and Brandon..Anthony Lynn has proven to be a really fine head coach but there is no way he could have been retained because of his ties to a dysfunctional regime and likely retention of some of the staff because of loyalty.  I am sure there are coaches on that staff who worked their asses off only to see crappy leadership and division at the top of the football organization. 

I know it's tough to swallow, but I credit Terry and Kim for stopping the madness after 2 years and eating Rex's salary.    They could have easily stayed the course and endured a really crappy 2017 under Rex -- instead, it was a playoff year....

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

More than likely any of the O linemen we would release really don’t have any trade value. I mean maybe if a team is ravaged by injuries in preseason you might land a really low kinda pick. Our guys who carry value surely won’t be traded. Guys like Waddle or Bodine who may not be able to make the cut won’t be worth much. Teams will know by then we can’t keep everyone and just wait to sign them when cut or give us a really low pick or maybe an exchange of picks in round 6 or something 

In general, I would agree with you.  However, one change that impacts trade value is the fact that there is no longer an intermediate cutdown.  Teams can keep everyone until just before the season starts when the cutdown to the 53 occurs.

That given, if a team suffers injuries and needs a capable  center (say), they might well reach out to Beane and say "hey, we could use Bodine, if you see Morse shaping well what would interest you?" especially at positions where the player has to master the scheme and integrate with the guys on either side of him.

12 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Ed throwing the staff under the bus was surprising since I thought he had a close relationship with Rex, but we certainly underachieved w the talent on that roster. As far as getting compensation for O lineman, if there’s compensation to be had, Beane will get it, we got a pick for freaking Newhouse last year. Lastly, enough w the nicknames wtf?  

I think Reed came as a coach because of that relationship and soured on it when he saw dysfunction and felt his opinion was discounted.

Re: “One last thing, everyone knows that whenever a new player comes in that there’s a “great debate” whether bleau cheese or ranch for the chicken wings. Everyone knows that the right answer is bleau cheese and the thought occurred to me that Blue Cheese would be kind of a cool nickname for the Bills or the secondary because nothing covers better.”

Great name!!... The secondary will have to earn it... Exciting times ahead...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Painful to listen to with his cellphone connection unfortunately. Also threw rex's staff under the bus unprompted which was interesting. 

There have been a lot of similar comments about Wrecks way of running the team and lack of discipline and that the staff did not seem like they were on the same page.

I think a team can get lucky and have things just come together, but to be consistently competitive you have to have a solid foundation and good leadership from top to bottom with everyone on the same page. When Crossman's kickoffs against the Jets were line drives to their dangerous return guy and the Bills paid the price you could tell McDermott in his post-game presser was livid.

He kept a lid on it mostly, but  it was clear he expected the kickoffs to go anywhere, but near Andre Roberts. I know players have to execute, but coaches are ultimately responsible for being on the same page with their game plan and coaching up their units to do that. Crossman did not get it done, they replaced him... jury is out on the new guy getting his unit better prepared.

I don't see a lot of cronyism in the McBeane management of this team's staff, you either are getting the job done and have a passing grade, or they are going to shop the staff position around to see if they can upgrade it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

That’s just silly.  Why not call them ‘Horseradish’?

(Nothing covers a beef-on-weck better.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

We got a 5th rounder last year didnt we.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Reed came as a coach because of that relationship and soured on it when he saw dysfunction and felt his opinion was discounted.

I think he soured because of lack of effort by Rex and he was always working when playing.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Gotta be pretty frustrating to be brought in to help facilitate communication for a complicated, antiquated defensive system and then be ignored. He probably figured out pretty quickly that he was a recognizable name to appease fans by making it look like Wrex was trying fix a problem that I don’t think Wrex actually believed existed.

• Like (+1) 2

Haha...he basically said the coaches paid him no attention when he was here and trying to help the players understand the system better even though there were constant breakdowns in communication.

Ed Reed is an interesting guy. Not one to sugarcoat anything so you know where he stands. He does seem bitter than his NFL coaching opportunity went south. 

Having said that, I've dealt with 4 SB losses, a 17 year playoff drought, a never ending QB carousel post Kelly, and DICK JAURON!

The "bleu cheese" secondary would be a bridge too far. I'd have to strongly consider bailing.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

People are quick to dismiss this possibility, but as someone mentioned, we got a 5th for OT Marshall Newhouse last year.

Look what they did with this "small change" draft capital. I think it was a 5th to move up for Cody Ford, wasn't it?

Does Vlad Ducasse have any value to another team? A starting guard with years of experience? Give me a 6th or 7th for him, that's more change in my pocket.

Bodine, maybe Teller, who knows what other teams can use once TC begins and injuries happen?

Beane is a master at using his resources.

• Like (+1) 3