Devin Singletary excited to feel wanted by Bills.

PIZ

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not a huge fan of this pick. The idea that production trumps measurables at the RB position just doesn't ring true. The NCAA is littered with backs who had MONSTER seasons at the collegiate level, but never got it done in the NFL because they weren't big/fast enough. This guy was drafted right around his projection, so the scouts/draft "experts" must have seen something special in Singletary. We shall see.

I have to disagree here.  The NCAA is littered with backs who had monster combines too and did nothing.  Its not a correlation of one or the other...end of the day, talent wins out.

But here are some myths people have jumped to conclusions about that are not accurate:

1. He is slow.  Thats not true at all.  People say this because his straight line 40 time was not impressive.  First, sounds like he may have pulled up on that 40 from what I am reading here, but thats not important.  Whats really important in a running back is acceleration and explosion speed, and Devin excels in both areas.  Rarely do RB's break off 40 to 50 yard runs.  What matters way more is how fast he can get through the hole, make guys miss than accelerate past them in the gaps.  Devin EXCELS in those areas, and I would take that 100 times over a guy who just sprints fast in a straight line in shorts.  
  2. He is too small.  Thats also not true.  It is true he is short, but he's over 200 pounds and Kiffin ran him hard and he never missed a game.  This kid is plenty big to play RB, height is not important here.  He is compact, explosive, and strong and was one of the best tackle breakers in all of CFB last year.  
  3. He cant catch.  Also not true.  He has done very well catching the ball, this past year they just did not use him that way.  But in years past he did fine and he did fine in workouts too showing he can catch the ball.

A rookie is a rookie.  So not going to make some declaration he is a future stud or this or that.  I will say this though, the kid is a LEGIT running back prospect, and not just a support or gadget role guy either.  He has the potential to be feature back and he is in a great spot where he will get to learn behind an all time great, 2 actually.  

Im very excited to see this kid in preseason.  Come week 1, do not be surprised if there are threads on this board for people screaming for him to start because he was carving up 2nd and 3rd string defenses during preseason.  He wont start week 1, and he shouldn't start week 1...but he likely comes in vs 2's and 3's most of preseason with Shady and Gore, along with Yeldon getting some of the early reps each week.  But he's going to show us why he is so exciting IMO in his opportunities.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not a huge fan of this pick. The idea that production trumps measurables at the RB position just doesn't ring true. The NCAA is littered with backs who had MONSTER seasons at the collegiate level, but never got it done in the NFL because they weren't big/fast enough. This guy was drafted right around his projection, so the scouts/draft "experts" must have seen something special in Singletary. We shall see.

It's the vision and burst that created the production.  Now in terms of testing.  His physical ability is no different than Jacobs.  

9 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

This was a bad pick that the Bills did not have a need for to begin with.  

You may very well be right but I believe that Beane and McD were not pleased with the performance of the reserves ( Ford and Murphy) when injuries hit last year. They weren't about to repeat that experience.  I also believe that they want to get some experience for a talented younger player before the 2020 season.  If he shows that he isn't a viable high volume replacement for McCoy, they will have made a bad pick.

Edited by Florida Bills Fanatic

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

It's the vision and burst that created the production.  Now in terms of testing.  His physical ability is no different than Jacobs.  

Jacobs ran a poor 40, but he's not 5'7. We'll see my man. The Travis Henry comparisons pique my interest and they've got some merit. If he duplicates Henry's career, it will go down as a tremendous pick. I would have preferred a RB with better natural talent. Just my two cents.

As to the OP; I'm glad he's excited for the opportunity in Buffalo. The RB position is wide open with Shady/Gore in their twilight.

Edited by LSHMEAB

26 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Jacobs ran a poor 40, but he's not 5'7. We'll see my man. The Travis Henry comparisons pique my interest and they've got some merit. If he duplicates Henry's career, it will go down as a tremendous pick. I would have preferred a RB with better natural talent. Just my two cents.

As to the OP; I'm glad he's excited for the opportunity in Buffalo. The RB position is wide open with Shady/Gore in their twilight.

Why focus on height?  It’s meaningless for a RB. 

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why focus on height?  It’s meaningless for a RB. 

If anything, being short has helped plenty of backs in the NFL - making it tough for defenders to find them behind LOS

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

If anything, being short has helped plenty of backs in the NFL - making it tough for defenders to find them behind LOS

True. Should have said it’s not a detriment and in fact can be a help. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

This was a bad pick that the Bills did not have a need for to begin with.  

I'll give it 2-3 years before I make such judgment. You may be right, but it's way too early. My only concern is his lack of break away speed but his elusiveness is something special.

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

I agree with you about the height phobia.  Think about M.Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, or Warrick Dunn. Joe Cribbs was fairly short.  Emit Smith and Walter Payton didn't have great size either.  None of these guys were giants but were very good.  I'd take a repeat of MJD's career for the Bills in a heart beat. 

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

For a running back that's not super small.  I'm curious to see how Singletary performs with a professional recovery regimen, and less usage.  To me his burst is up there with any Rb drafted, and he isnt small for his frame.  Utilize him like the team used McKenzie last year out of the slot and backfield and you might have found a playmaker.  Rb was a massive question maker but now has some added talent with what could be specific roles to increase productivity.

With Rbs we will see it preseason game 1.  Is he quick enough, big enough, good enough.  With that position they either got it or they dont.  I think behind McCoy and Gore he has a rare chance to learn the position from 2 guys who could be Hall of Famers and 2 guys who were able to take care of their bodies in a manner that allowed them to play RB into their 30s.  Beane thinks he will be a playmaker time will tell.

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I agree with you about the height phobia.  Think about M.Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, or Warrick Dunn. Joe Cribbs was fairly short.  Emit Smith and Walter Payton didn't have great size either.  None of these guys were giants but were very good.  I'd take a repeat of MJD's career for the Bills in a heart beat. 

Here's another small RB comp...Devin Singletary is almost the exact same height and weight as Barry Sanders. Devin is 5' 7", 203 lbs and Barry was 5' 7 5/8", 203 lbs. Barry's 40 time was obviously much faster and in no way am I saying that Singletary is Barry Sanders but the point is that their physical attributes are the same and their styles are similar. 

Notes from an actual scouting report Gil Brandt wrote on Barry Sanders for Dallas: "Sanders measured up at 5-foot-7 5/8, 203 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37. ... I wish he was a little taller. ... Has Tony Dorsett-like ability as a runner, unbelievable quickness (quickness grades above 80 percent). ... Great leg strength and vision. ... Can cut, stop and start on a dime. ... Has been very durable. ... Can return kickoffs (two for TDs in 1987). ... Oklahoma State seldom throws ball to running backs but he did catch ball well in practice. ... Great person, everyone from equipment manager to the secretaries brag on him. ... Should be a Pro Bowl player."

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/hall-recall-barry-sanders/