Devin Singletary excited to feel wanted by Bills.

PIZ

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

Ugh.  Never heard the original version until just now.  The "at Budokan" version is far superior.  No wonder the song never went anywhere until then.

absolutely the better version. saw them back in '88 at the miami arena. they opened for robert plant while on his now and zen tour. good times

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

absolutely the better version. saw them back in '88 at the miami arena. they opened for robert plant while on his now and zen tour. good times

Yup.  But more than just a better version: it's a classic.  And that would have been a great concert to see.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

We have the oldest running back group in the league by a long way. Of course we needed to draft a running back. 

...but AARP discounts help to keep cap availability in check, right??...........

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Travis Henry is my player comp to Singletary because just because players just seem to slide off of him just like back in the day with Travis

They both ran a 4.6 forty time...

Henry - 4.61

Singletary - 4.66

I sure hope he works out.

4 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

They both ran a 4.6 forty time...

Henry - 4.61

Singletary - 4.66

I sure hope he works out.

..just a woefully overhyped, overblown and useless stat anyway......exactly how many times does any player get to run 40 yards down the field in a straight line and unimpeded?...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..just a woefully overhyped, overblown and useless stat anyway......exactly how many times does any player get to run 40 yards down the field in a straight line and unimpeded?...

Special teams play might be an exception to the rule.

Myself personally, speed kills...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Figster said:

..probably right my good friend.....but the genre' of special teams is forever changing as the rules change....

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

You can't teach speed.  Faster guys are surely liked.

I'm sure many others have thought or said it but I would really like the combine to clock a 40 yard dash

with full football gear on. 

Would be interesting to see the results.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

This was a bad pick that the Bills did not have a need for to begin with.  

In 794 posts, you have yet to make a point you can back up or even represents being a fan of the team. That’s a strong track record some other teams fan board may appreciate. We don’t, but maybe some other team..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..probably right my good friend.....but the genre' of special teams is forever changing as the rules change....

True that my friend,

The good old days of watching someone get their clock cleaned on special teams play is becoming a thing of the past.

On any play for that matter.

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Travis Henry is my player comp to Singletary because just because players just seem to slide off of him just like back in the day with Travis

Uh oh. How many baby mommas will turn up. There were a lot of things sliding off him from his days in Buffalo

Edited by BillsRdue

I'm not a huge fan of this pick. The idea that production trumps measurables at the RB position just doesn't ring true. The NCAA is littered with backs who had MONSTER seasons at the collegiate level, but never got it done in the NFL because they weren't big/fast enough. This guy was drafted right around his projection, so the scouts/draft "experts" must have seen something special in Singletary. We shall see.

18 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not a huge fan of this pick. The idea that production trumps measurables at the RB position just doesn't ring true. The NCAA is littered with backs who had MONSTER seasons at the collegiate level, but never got it done in the NFL because they weren't big/fast enough. This guy was drafted right around his projection, so the scouts/draft "experts" must have seen something special in Singletary. We shall see.

...stats and measurables trump production?.....must be that new fuzzy math stuff....go figure..........

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Love me some Singletary, elusive, amazing vision and a Travis Henry type of burst. 

The kind that produces nine kids, or the other kind?

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

McD loves the high motor, intense competitor guys.  I've started wondering whether there's too much focus on that type of player.  Maybe you can't have too many of them.

They got Murphy based on his motor. Maybe he will still work out.  I just give as an example.

I hear ya.

The key, I think, is a good blend of motor and athleticism. If a player JUST has a high motor, well....he's Chris Kelsay. If a player has a high motor AND above average athleticism, he's Kyle Williams.

Here's hoping Ed Oliver and Cody Ford and Devin Singletary and all the others are more like the latter.

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...stats and measurables trump production?.....must be that new fuzzy math stuff....go figure..........

I prefer both. Just look at guys like Ricky A Williams/multiple Oregon backs, etc. Production at the collegiate level hasn't been a great measuring stick for RB's in terms of projecting them to the professional level.

As I said, plenty of scouts/experts had him pegged as a top 5 back in this draft while many other top producers are summarily dismissed by the league. That tells me the professionals believe this kid's game will translate whereas many others have not. I'm just not hanging my hat on production when it comes to RB's. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

What did you expect the draftees to say? That they were not happy to be drafted by the Bills? Did you expect Singletary to say that as a life long Floridian he shuddered at the thought of freezing his thin skin arse off in the land of tundra? 

It's a little bit of both.  Sure every guy drafted for the most part gives the same cliche responses.  Oliver's reaction was more than just cliche responses.  Ford's reaction was more aswell.  Liked the fit the coaching and seems genuinely excited.  Having guys wanting to play for the team vs guys who are happy they are in the league is a step in the right direction.  

My goodness he's fun to watch.  I watched a slow motion film session of him (sound off so no clue what's said) and it's just crazy.

I can't wait to see how he plays against NFL talent. 

This preseason should be all about him with the older fellas that share his position.

What a great pick with Shady still here along with adding Frank Gore, what a way to learn to be a professional RB.

He can really make a 1st guy miss at an elite level, but he seems to just do everything from blocking to running a few nice routes and catching the ball.

He sets up his blocks well and uses different gears to win in the open field.

I see Shady, but also a little bit of Darren Sproles toughness and movement in traffic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1