Devin Singletary excited to feel wanted by Bills.

PIZ

Thanks for posting. 

I'll say this: a lot of people -- myself included -- thought that the Bills actually wanted David Montgomery at running back but had to "settle" for Singletary after Montgomery was picked one spot ahead of them in the 3rd round. Now I'm not so sure. After hearing Beane's effusive praise of Singletary, and now hearing that they were one of the teams that showed the most interest in Singletary in the pre-draft process, I think he may have been the target all along. As a team that's gotten to watch LeSean McCoy juke defenders out of their shoes the past few years and believes that Singeltary shares some of those traits, the Bills probably weren't as scared off by Singletary's lack of home run speed as some other teams. They may have wanted Singletary whether Montgomery was on the board or not. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Thanks for posting. 

I'll say this: a lot of people -- myself included -- thought that the Bills actually wanted David Montgomery at running back but had to "settle" for Singletary after Montgomery was picked one spot ahead of them in the 3rd round. Now I'm not so sure. After hearing Beane's effusive praise of Singletary, and now hearing that they were one of the teams that showed the most interest in Singletary in the pre-draft process, I think he may have been the target all along. As a team that's gotten to watch LeSean McCoy juke defenders out of their shoes the past few years and believes that Singeltary shares some of those traits, the Bills probably weren't as scared off by Singletary's lack of home run speed as some other teams. They may have wanted Singletary whether Montgomery was on the board or not. 

I’ll continue to say that the Bills showed zero interest in Montgomery so I’d be very surprised if they had him ranked higher than singletary. Live scouting, meetings, and workouts aren’t completely indicative but with this FO, we have now seen at least one pattern: Beane wants to see most of his picks play live. If he never did, or never even sent a credentialed scout, good indication that player isn’t high on their list.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 9

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ll continue to say that the Bills showed zero interest in Montgomery so I’d be very surprised if they had him ranked higher than singletary. Live scouting, meetings, and workouts aren’t completely indicative but with this FO, we have now seen at least one pattern: Beane wants to see most of his picks play live. If he never did, or never even sent a credentialed scout, good indication that player isn’t high on their list.

I agree completely. Astro's list of visits, as well as any other info I could scare up in the pre-draft process, always linked the Bills to Singletary. I never saw ANYTHING linking them to Montgomery. Also, Devin Singletary's nickname is "Motor", so basic science dictated that Beane and McDermott HAD to draft him. They had no choice.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

There's always a lot of mystery with small school players. At least we know he won't go down without a fight and I'm guessing he'll be good in short yardage situations like Marcus Allen was. He makes quick decisions, sees the field well like Fred did and he's slippery.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I agree completely. Astro's list of visits, as well as any other info I could scare up in the pre-draft process, always linked the Bills to Singletary. I never saw ANYTHING linking them to Montgomery. Also, Devin Singletary's nickname is "Motor", so basic science dictated that Beane and McDermott HAD to draft him. They had no choice.

...McBeane and his gang certainly do their homework...impressive IMO...........

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

This was a bad pick that the Bills did not have a need for to begin with.  

They weren’t worried about need. On their board he was seen as max value and they grabbed him. This is the way you build a team. 2 older backs, with Yeldon and Singletary providing depth with long term in mind is very smart. The odd men out, imo is Murphy and DiMarco. Camp injuries can dictate otherwise- go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's hope the new OL is improved enough to at least give these backs a lane to run through.  It would greatly improve this offense if Bills can run effectively.  Looks like a crease is all Singletary needs.   Plus I hear he's funny.

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Funny Singletary, maybe it will stick

Bean said he was the most fun to watch play; not the most comical player.

"Beane further said about Singletary’s selection. “He had 66 touchdowns, I think. Out of all the guys I watched, I still have a note on this little surface where I write that this is the funnest guy I’ve watched all year. "

just say'n... ;-)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

This was a bad pick that the Bills did not have a need for to begin with.  

There's this game going on up in your neck of the woods that you might want to play. First you get a barrel...………………………………..

• Haha (+1) 6

9 hours ago, Logic said:

McD loves the high motor, intense competitor guys.  I've started wondering whether there's too much focus on that type of player.  Maybe you can't have too many of them.

They got Murphy based on his motor. Maybe he will still work out.  I just give as an example.