About Gronk joke talking about unretiring...

I know he jokes around, but I have seen crazier things if he really does want to come back. Still researching if he unretires would he be a FA/could he go anywhere/do the Pats get compensation. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/rob-gronkowski-confirms-he-is-actually-retired-but-then-immediately-suggests-he-could-return-143718537.html

2 minutes ago, KollegeStudnet said:

I know he jokes around, but I have seen crazier things if he really does want to come back. Still researching if he unretires would he be a FA/could he go anywhere/do the Pats get compensation. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/rob-gronkowski-confirms-he-is-actually-retired-but-then-immediately-suggests-he-could-return-143718537.html

He was a shadow of himself last year except as a blocker.  I hope for his own sake he's joking around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tbh I don’t care. He isn’t integral to their success, anymore. 

Until he is 

I agree that he’s a shadow of himself but all it takes is Brady to throw his way in the end zone 4 times and the Pats are back in the SB 4 straight times.  Our only true claim to fame. I hope he stays retires 

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Until he is 

I agree that he’s a shadow of himself but all it takes is Brady to throw his way in the end zone 4 times and the Pats are back in the SB 4 straight times.  Our only true claim to fame. I hope he stays retires 

Imo, they can beat the Bills, and win the SB, with or without him as things stand today 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tbh I don’t care. He isn’t integral to their success, anymore. 

I agree. My thought is if he does unretire and becomes a FA, will this spark other players to retire so they can bypass and play for whoever they wish. I’ve read in some contracts that they can not do this. Not sure about Gronks. 

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Imo, they can beat the Bills, and win the SB, with or without him as things stand today 

For sure.  I just think they’re better with him than without him.  

1 hour ago, KollegeStudnet said:

He is going to hurt himself joking that much.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Gronk still has some football left in him BUT if he is SMART he stays away from  Temptation. He is heading to the HOF, let it go.

Yeah.  He's coming back.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Nanker said:

Heard a talk by a NE sportscaster (retired) who said he might come back after mid-season. 

Makes sense..his body should be fully rested and recovered by November.Smart move on his part if he wants another Lombardi under his belt.

He could endorse stuff in New England for the rest of his life, but his other potential sources of income - acting, standup, pro wrestling, etc. are going to dry up quick, so I would not be surprised if he wants to come back by Halloween.

It would be interesting to see if the Pats want to pay 6-8M for a guy that shows up at Halloween.

5 hours ago, KollegeStudnet said:

Pretty sure the pats would hold his right since he was still under contract with them when he retired. Similar to the Bills with Vontae Davis. 

5 hours ago, KollegeStudnet said:

We Pats fans are expecting him to come back around Thanksgiving. I believe he'll only play for NE. BB was entertaining trading him to Detroit at one point, but Gronk made it clear that he'd retire rather than play for any other team. Once a player retires, they remain the "property" of that team for the duration of the contract. 

BTW, Gronk has yet to cash a single game check from NE. $$ isn't what drives him. It's winning. The "shell" of Gronk is still a top 5 TE in the NFL. Just as a "declining" TB12 is still a top 5 QB. At least for 2-3 more years. 

13 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

He could endorse stuff in New England for the rest of his life, but his other potential sources of income - acting, standup, pro wrestling, etc. are going to dry up quick, so I would not be surprised if he wants to come back by Halloween.

It would be interesting to see if the Pats want to pay 6-8M for a guy that shows up at Halloween.

Gronk has not cashed a single game check yet. I'm not making this up. He's got millions to spare.