Duke Williams-" I Can Play If I Stay Out Of Trouble"

These guys are all really young and developing at their own pace both professionally and personally. I think it’s great that this kid went up north and got some playing time while also learning how to grow up. Don’t count that type of experience out. If draft order and scouting pedigree was that exact of a science we wouldn’t see so many early round flame outs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/11/2019 at 5:32 PM, Nervous Guy said:

Bravo!  Thank you for taking the time to post this!!!  I usually just shake my head at posts like that....seriously, kudos!!!!

For me, it's just another person added to my blocked list. I come to this site to learn about and be encouraged about the team I love. I don't get other people's motivation for coming here. If you're seriously that negative then go find something that you might actually enjoy or find a dead cat to kick or something to make yourself feel better. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

These guys are all really young and developing at their own pace both professionally and personally. I think it’s great that this kid went up north and got some playing time while also learning how to grow up. Don’t count that type of experience out. If draft order and scouting pedigree was that exact of a science we wouldn’t see so many early round flame outs.

...certainly agree....McBeane and his gang leave NO stone unturned when shopping for talent.......with the draft over, Nix would be back to hibernatin' until opening day......"beauty sleep"....

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/11/2019 at 10:00 AM, Lurker said:

LOL.  A 27-year old WR with two years of professional experience caught four balls against 22-year old camp invitees who will be starting their real life's work next week--selling insurance or working at Lowe's.    Check out last year's day-1 WR standout and get back to us 'naysayers' with how that worked out...

dude......dude......DUDE

56 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

dude......dude......DUDE

Be easy.  Last year's rookie minicamp standout was Austin Proehl:
https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-5-takeaways-from-buffalo-bills-rookie-minicamp-2018

" if you had to ask me for a standout from the first day, my answer would be Austin Proehl. " (Joe B was impressed by his route running ability)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Be easy.  Last year's rookie minicamp standout was Austin Proehl:
https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-5-takeaways-from-buffalo-bills-rookie-minicamp-2018

" if you had to ask me for a standout from the first day, my answer would be Austin Proehl. " (Joe B was impressed by his route running ability)

Oh yeah sure he could totally suck.......but maybe we could wait for first day of training camp before a post like that?  

Right now.....they all gotta shot that is what makes football great.

2 hours ago, sirebors said:

For me, it's just another person added to my blocked list. I come to this site to learn about and be encouraged about the team I love. I don't get other people's motivation for coming here. If you're seriously that negative then go find something that you might actually enjoy or find a dead cat to kick or something to make yourself feel better. 

I think it takes all types, myself...some people are suffering from BBFS (battered bills fan syndrome) and are afraid to feel encouraged 'cuz we're the cat and We've been kicked too many times over the years....others just have that natural pessimist personality

Some people are balanced, some people actively seek reasons to be positive, some people are positive to the point of being Pollyanna Kool Aid Drinkers

There can be value in all viewpoints, although I personally don't care for the extreme on either side

Take what you like and leave the rest.... Enjoy your "blocked" list! (seriously...as a mod, I deleted mine for fair play and I do miss it sometimes)

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Oh yeah sure he could totally suck.......but maybe we could wait for first day of training camp before a post like that?  

Right now.....they all gotta shot that is what makes football great.

I misunderstood you.  I thought you believed the "first day of rookie camp" standout was our own Josh Allen and were disputing the implication there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it takes all types, myself...some people are suffering from BBFS (battered bills fan syndrome) and are afraid to feel encouraged 'cuz we're the cat and We've been kicked too many times over the years....others just have that natural pessimist personality

Some people are balanced, some people actively seek reasons to be positive, some people are positive to the point of being Pollyanna Kool Aid Drinkers

There can be value in all viewpoints, although I personally don't care for the extreme on either side

Take what you like and leave the rest.... Enjoy your "blocked" list! (seriously...as a mod, I deleted mine for fair play and I do miss it sometimes)

I misunderstood you.  I thought you believed the "first day of rookie camp" standout was our own Josh Allen and were disputing the implication there.

Ive honestly never blocked a single person.  I have previously intended to block certain posters, but then I remember to the total absurdness of them still provided me entertainment though enjoying their own destruction by other quality posters and didn't want to miss those smiles :) 

That being said, there are a couple who came very close to hitting the blocked button on, but to me it ultimately just feels like they win if I let them get to me so much that I have to block them.  I would rather engage head on then "dodge" their stupidity lol.  

Ironically, there are 2 specific posters who were very much hovering under my finger and the block button many times who I now regularly and quite cordially interact with on the site.  Don't always agree still, but glad I didn't block them when they were losing their minds on a couple of specific rage filled topics lmao.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/4/2019 at 3:48 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

" I see a guy who continually falls off the wagon.  Gets called out, straightens up for a while, then reverts to bad / lazy habits. "

I don't follow Canadian football and am not going to go look for game film

4 catches for 80 yds or 6 catches for 78 yds don't look like a total non-factor from here.    It's 22% of his yards in 33% of the season, a drop-off, but not nothing. 

It's not unusual for any WR who is unexpectedly starring, to see his production fall off through the season as teams put their better guys on him and game-plan around him.

It's certainly not what I would describe as "a guy who continually falls off the wagon"

Do you have specific highlights or film clips where you see him dogging it or reverting to "bad/lazy habits"?

Edmonton lost there #2 receiver with 6 games left in the year so teams could key in on him more by throwing double coverages at him. This was not possible when Walker was healthy as they would need the safety to float to the ball more.   

1 hour ago, Engelwood said:

Edmonton lost there #2 receiver with 6 games left in the year so teams could key in on him more by throwing double coverages at him. This was not possible when Walker was healthy as they would need the safety to float to the ball more.   

Good info, thanks for the gouge!

On 5/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..so let's diminish Duke already, right?........SMH.....he's a minor leaguer in his FIRST SHOT at the "Bigs"........a rookie at THIS level IMO unless CFL=NFL.........

2nd shot.  He was with Rams in training camp and got cut.  

Oh he also has a lot less college games than a lot of players so his advantage is diminished.

9 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Maybe I'm reading the quote wrong, but it seems to me he thinks staying out of trouble is out of his control.  If that's the case, it's a massive red flag.

I think you're reading the quote wrong. 

I think he's kind of speaking what he sees as the scouting take on him: that he's always been seen as a guy who could play at an NFL level on talent, but he got into trouble.

I think he figured out in the CFL that he can control how hard he works and whether or not he gets into trouble.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're reading the quote wrong. 

I think he's kind of speaking what he sees as the scouting take on him: that he's always been seen as a guy who could play at an NFL level on talent, but he got into trouble.

I think he figured out in the CFL that he can control how hard he works and whether or not he gets into trouble.

I will happily be reading it wrong.  It's just if you read the headline literally, that's how it seems.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I will happily be reading it wrong.  It's just if you read the headline literally, that's how it seems.

Never read a headline literally.  They have the same relationship to what the player actually said, and the writer actually wrote, that lurid covers of paperback books have to the content.  They may occasionally be related, but more often than not, it has little or nothing in common and was created solely to attract maximal attention.