Duke Williams-" I Can Play If I Stay Out Of Trouble"

Just for perspective, this is from one year ago...

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-5-takeaways-from-buffalo-bills-rookie-minicamp-2018

5) Proehl’s route running stands out
- You always look for something that stands out during practices like these, especially when it’s so far removed from the finished product of the game of football. However, you can sometimes see some little traits that will translate into the real game, and what stood out most to me was the route running ability of seventh-round selection Austin Proehl. On many reps, Proehl’s ability to stop on a dime and turn his route from the inside out was enough to gain him quite a bit of separation from the defender. While we’ll have to see what he can do in pads, it was hard to ignore his quickness and route running — especially for a position that needs those two traits as much as the slot receiver. Now, he is listed at what looks to be a generous 5-foot-9, so his lack of height could be something that holds him back. However, if you had to ask me for a standout from the first day, my answer would be Austin Proehl.

• Thank you (+1) 1

“I play with a lot of emotion. I play like a dog,” Williams told NYUP.comafter his first practice as a Bill. “Off the field I’m quiet. But when I’m on that field that’s when my emotions come out. I’m not sparing nobody, because nobody wants to spare me. When I see the defender coming all I see is red, and I gotta go get him.”

“Part of my game is physical. I will play physical all day long,” he said. “I’m not the fastest cat on the field, but I can get open. I’m still getting my feet wet. I’m not comfortable yet. ... I play big, fast and strong.”

Edited by One Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Maybe he can be our Cameron Wake, Doug Flutie, Warren Moon, etc... or maybe he can be a solid #3 WR... or maybe our other WRs outplay him. Either way, I do really like bringing in a guy who can play with something to prove. This guy will bring an intensity and competition needed for our young players to follow. Even if he doesn’t make the team, this was a great addition. 

...perhaps, perhaps he has come "south of the border" with a real deal commitment attitude...sure as hell does NOT appear to be a Chris Carter kid high maintenance type....and of course the naysayers rose to the task to downplay his day 1 mini camp role (as expected)......honorable mention to other TBD pundits who said "camp fodder"....gotta love those pigeon stains on the "Red Welcome Carpet".....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and of course the naysayers rose to the task to downplay his day 1 mini camp role (as expected)......honorable mention to other TBD pundits who said "camp fodder"....gotta love those pigeon stains on the "Red Welcome Carpet".....

LOL.  A 27-year old WR with two years of professional experience caught four balls against 22-year old camp invitees who will be starting their real life's work next week--selling insurance or working at Lowe's.    Check out last year's day-1 WR standout and get back to us 'naysayers' with how that worked out...

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

LOL.  A 27-year old WR with two years of professional experience caught four balls against 22-year old camp invitees who will be starting their real life's work next week--selling insurance or working at Lowe's.    Check out last year's day-1 WR standout and get back to us 'naysayers' with how that worked out...

The best you can do on this day is standout.  He stood out.  That's worth something. It's better than to have people say about him he didn't stand out. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

...um...ok ...you win...fell better I presume.............

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Lurker said:

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-5-takeaways-from-buffalo-bills-rookie-minicamp-2018

- You always look for something that stands out during practices like these, especially when it’s so far removed from the finished product of the game of football. However, you can sometimes see some little traits that will translate into the real game, and what stood out most to me was the route running ability of seventh-round selection Austin Proehl. On many reps, Proehl’s ability to stop on a dime and turn his route from the inside out was enough to gain him quite a bit of separation from the defender. While we’ll have to see what he can do in pads, it was hard to ignore his quickness and route running — especially for a position that needs those two traits as much as the slot receiver. Now, he is listed at what looks to be a generous 5-foot-9, so his lack of height could be something that holds him back. However, if you had to ask me for a standout from the first day, my answer would be Austin Proehl.

For what its worth the tone doesn't sound the same. With Proehl it sounded like they were looking for a guy that stood out and what he did well but with Duke he was a guy that stood out to them. One of them said that he looked out of place with the rookies and that doesn't really sound the same to me at all. I mean it's the first day of rookie mini camp this matters the most for the UDFAs that were signed and the camp invites.

Most of the articles I have read, along with many of the posters here acknowledge that he has a difficult task ahead.  Of course we need to keep our expectations in check.  But so far he is doing and saying all the right things.  We will see where he lands in August.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 offseason and camp with the Rams in 2016 and 2 seasons in the CFL is a huge advantage.

But all anyone can hope for is that he did what would be expected. He's not really a rookie and it showed...next step.

I wish him best of luck but he has a long road ahead.

Edited by without a drought

56 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Most of the articles I have read, along with many of the posters here acknowledge that he has a difficult task ahead.  Of course we need to keep our expectations in check.  But so far he is doing and saying all the right things.  We will see where he lands in August.  

..epitome decision of "do or die".....DO = NFL...die = back to CFL for any takers....real gold versus fool's gold.....

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Geezus, what’s the point of crapping on positive news?  Seriously man, no one is saying he’s gonna be a pro bowler because he stood out early in rookie camp.  

But damn, would you rather he not?  Seriously, some of you need to get a grip with trying to crap on every positive news story.  It’s good he stood out.  Means nothing, but a positive moment is a positive moment.  Hopefully he keeps them coming.  

You got all of camp and preseason to rail against him, you guys don’t need to spend so much energy now trying to dismiss positive signs coming in early.  This is a great example of just trying to force your negative narrative by attempting to to discredit anything positive so you can stick to your “naysayer” opinion.

And your opinion is fair, he has to prove himself still.  But just don’t see why everyone feels compelled to argue and rail against a small positive sign, especially when no one else is making a big deal out of it as if it means he’s going to be a star.  Just nice to see he is starting strong and hopefully he keeps building on it.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Lmao.  Proehl was no where near the prospect Duke is.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..so let's diminish Duke already, right?........SMH.....he's a minor leaguer in his FIRST SHOT at the "Bigs"........a rookie at THIS level IMO unless CFL=NFL.........

SECOND SHOT at the "Bigs".  Williams was signed to a 3 year contract as an UDFA by the Rams in '16, and met the Turk instead of the 53 that September.

I mean, I'm fine calling him a rookie, but this is his 2nd NFL training camp, not his first.

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Geezus, what’s the point of crapping on positive news?  Seriously man, no one is saying he’s gonna be a pro bowler because he stood out early in rookie camp.  

But damn, would you rather he not?  Seriously, some of you need to get a grip with trying to crap on every positive news story.  It’s good he stood out.  Means nothing, but a positive moment is a positive moment.  Hopefully he keeps them coming.  

You got all of camp and preseason to rail against him, you guys don’t need to spend so much energy now trying to dismiss positive signs coming in early.  This is a great example of just trying to force your negative narrative by attempting to to discredit anything positive so you can stick to your “naysayer” opinion.

And your opinion is fair, he has to prove himself still.  But just don’t see why everyone feels compelled to argue and rail against a small

positive sign, especially when no one else is making a big deal out of it as if it means he’s going to be a star.  Just nice to see he is starting strong and hopefully he keeps building on it.

Bravo!  Thank you for taking the time to post this!!!  I usually just shake my head at posts like that....seriously, kudos!!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

SECOND SHOT at the "Bigs".  Williams was signed to a 3 year contract as an UDFA by the Rams in '16, and met the Turk instead of the 53 that September.

I mean, I'm fine calling him a rookie, but this is his 2nd NFL training camp, not his first.

I'm ok with this loophole. It gives our coaches a bigger look at what they have. They really need to pick the right 5 or 6. Besides who hear doesn't love an underdog.story

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

More on first day here, Duke Williams is Item 4:
https://www.buffalobills.com/news/top-5-observations-from-bills-rookie-minicamp

Good read on all the points.  I really think this is going to be a fun camp and preseason watching these battles play out, seeing our 2nd year guys develop in Allen, Foster, and Edmunds and really seeing how the OL comes together.

As far as Duke goes, something feels special about him and his story.  I have a feeling he is going to turn some heads when the pads go on.  He’s got a lot of work to do, but I love his passion, hunger, fiery play, and chip on his shoulder to prove he belongs.  And with that he has all the self awareness of his past and what he has to do as a man off the field and earn his place here.  

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good read on all the points.  I really think this is going to be a fun camp and preseason watching these battles play out, seeing our 2nd year guys develop in Allen, Foster, and Edmunds and really seeing how the OL comes together.

As far as Duke goes, something feels special about him and his story.  I have a feeling he is going to turn some heads when the pads go on.  He’s got a lot of work to do, but I love his passion, hunger, fiery play, and chip on his shoulder to prove he belongs.  And with that he has all the self awareness of his past and what he has to do as a man off the field and earn his place here.  

I hope you're right.  We need last year's better WRs and at least one more guy to step up in addition to the B's we signed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/4/2019 at 11:13 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....better put on the big boyz' pants lad because this may be your ONLY shot at the NFL.....be smart and good luck.....

Bills’ former CFL star Duke Williams: I can play in the NFL, if I stay out of trouble

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 4, 2019, 8:07 AM EDT

Bills wide receiver Duke Williams knows he’s running out of chances as a football player.

Williams was kicked off the team at Auburn after a bar brawl that saw him punch four people, but he was able to revive his football career in the Canadian Football League and led the league with 1,579 receiving yards last year. That got the Bills’ attention, and they signed him in January.

Williams told the Buffalo News he knows he’s going to have to prove himself off the field just as much as on the field.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/04/bills-former-cfl-star-duke-williams-i-can-play-in-the-nfl-if-i-stay-out-of-trouble/

Wow that is encouraging and sounds like a process guy! I do like the signing, but is he unsure he can stay out of trouble, WTF?

On 5/11/2019 at 5:52 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

What's special is that the guy had the kind of raw physical talent that made him a likely first or second round pick, had his career not gone sideways.   That's what I think some people are overlooking.  Why did he come to dominate the Canadian league?  Because the guys with his kind of physical talent aren't playing in that league.  

• Like (+1) 1