Duke Williams-" I Can Play If I Stay Out Of Trouble"

FWIW, these are two WR's in camp with uniquely different crossroads......the signs at Duke's crossroads say, "Welcome to the NFL"...OR...."Welcome BACK to the CFL"....ball is in HIS court to decide.......as far as Zay, his signs say, " You're Still A Bill" or "Call Mayflower and Start Packin'"......MAJOR decisions for BOTH and I sure as hell hope they make the RIGHT one to fulfill their NFL dreams...good luck fellas.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/6/2019 at 5:02 PM, Gugny said:

Challenge accepted!

add this to the list as one of the many reasons I love you ; )

On 5/6/2019 at 5:08 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

FWIW, these are two WR's in camp with uniquely different crossroads......the signs at Duke's crossroads say, "Welcome to the NFL"...OR...."Welcome BACK to the CFL"....ball is in HIS court to decide.......as far as Zay, his signs say, " You're Still A Bill" or "Call Mayflower and Start Packin'"......MAJOR decisions for BOTH and I sure as hell hope they make the RIGHT one to fulfill their NFL dreams...good luck fellas.....

on the cusp as one might say ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

For the love of God coach.....dont make me watch another Benjamin stink up my field!   Look how long I had to watch THAT freakshow! If he cant come to play, CUT HIM!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, One Buffalo said:

John Wawrow story on Duke with quotes from minicamp today- https://apnews.com/31ce09ec664f4ccfa9c73ca5ffd83214

Can't help but root for this guy to succeed.  

Amazing read, thanks for posting it. I truly hope he succeeds for not only us, but himself too. I think if he reaches his potential, we could have a very good duo with him and Foster.

...sounding like Duke gets "IT".................

I’ve made my mistakes and I’ve learned from them, so I’m just grinding right now,” said Williams. “That’s in the past. I can’t even worry about that. I have to get better and attack each and every day. Now that I know every day it’s in the back of my head to go get it. I’ve got no more chances to mess up or slip, so I’m just grinding and having fun with it.”

On 5/6/2019 at 2:48 PM, Shaw66 said:

As I just wrote to Hapless, yes, I think that is the issue.   No, I'm not saying that he won't improve.  My view is that although he may improve, he's not going to improve so much that he's a significant contributor to the team.  How do I know that?  I don't, it's just my opinion.   He just hasn't shown me much to get excited about.   He'll be a nice receiver, have a 6 or 8 year career, maybe a little longer, but he isn't going to strike fear in the hearts of anyone. 

Comparisons to Moulds just don't make much sense to to me.   He was a a top talent coming out of college, he was a serious kickoff return threat in his first couple of years.   His talent was obvious, as well as his size.   Jones isn't anything like that.   Lots of people would have been surprised if Moulds didn't develop into a valuable player, because his special qualities were on display his first two years.   Very few people will be surprised if Zay doesn't succeed.   My cousin told me early last season that Zay didn't even deserve to be in the league.   I disagreed with him, but nobody was saying that about Moulds in his second season.   

I don’t dig the straight to moulds jumps to excuse every underperforming WR 

but i do think it’s important that his salary is $1m and we save peanuts cutting him. As we have seen even in this thread- $1m for a WR3-4 is still a relative bargain. Unless he’s legit beat out by both a udfa  AND a guy in a futures contract from the CFL, there’s not any motivating factor to move him unless he’s some sort of trouble behind the scenes we don’t know about. Him only being a 4 would be a scouting disappointment but the beauty of picking a WR there is that even a disappointment is a great value in the cap as long as not a complete disaster 

On 5/6/2019 at 11:00 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bottom line: you're creating this whole logic train based on a speculative, and potentially flawed, series of premises. 

This is a new phenomenon for this site. I do hope that it does not become a trend. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Duke and Oliver were standouts in first day of camp according to tweets showing up on Bleacher Report :)

Yes, altho apparently Duke stood out because he isn't a rookie and everyone else is.  That makes his standing out a little less impressive, but it still answers one question about him.  Whatever he is, he isn't raw and isn't a rookie.   It's what I thought - he's played two seasons of professional football in Canada, and that's serious football.  The talent level is down a notch, but what they expect players to do isn't.   He thrived in a competitive football environment, and my guess is that he'll thrive in the NFL too. 

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, altho apparently Duke stood out because he isn't a rookie and everyone else is.  That makes his standing out a little less impressive, but it still answers one question about him.  Whatever he is, he isn't raw and isn't a rookie.   It's what I thought - he's played two seasons of professional football in Canada, and that's serious football.  The talent level is down a notch, but what they expect players to do isn't.   He thrived in a competitive football environment, and my guess is that he'll thrive in the NFL too. 

I wasn’t trying to read into it, just sharing that the 2 people that stood out were those two guys.  Nothing more, nothing less, just that’s the comments showing up on Twitter.  

Means nothing long term, just good to see him and Oliver starting fast

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wasn’t trying to read into it, just sharing that the 2 people that stood out were those two guys.  Nothing more, nothing less, just that’s the comments showing up on Twitter.  

Yup.  

I;m high on Duke, because he seems to be high on football. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I mean yeah he has more experience with his time in the CFL and has a head start in the system, but I think it's a good sign that he did stand out. I mean we might not of noticed if he didn't but that wouldn't of been good sign if he didn't stick out compared with rookie UDFAs with the advantages he's got going in.

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

..so let's diminish Duke already, right?........SMH.....he's a minor leaguer in his FIRST SHOT at the "Bigs"........a rookie at THIS level IMO unless CFL=NFL.........

Maybe he can be our Cameron Wake, Doug Flutie, Warren Moon, etc... or maybe he can be a solid #3 WR... or maybe our other WRs outplay him. Either way, I do really like bringing in a guy who can play with something to prove. This guy will bring an intensity and competition needed for our young players to follow. Even if he doesn’t make the team, this was a great addition. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1