Duke Williams-" I Can Play If I Stay Out Of Trouble"

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can't you love Duke and have a state of cautious optimism that he might stick?

Yeah. I suppose it's been a circular evolution.

In all seriousness, this FEELS like a lot previous Bills "hidden gem" receivers. It would be awesome if he was the real deal, but my expectations are not high. More than the bar-fight, it's concerning that he didn't earn a spot on a Rams team devoid of talent at the position.

He's already established himself as "that guy" we're gonna fixate on in camp, so he'll provide entertainment if nothing else.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Zay has progressed nicely and I expect that he will get even better with better talent around him.  He has had a year in this offense and has rapport with his QB.  Dabol knows what he can do and will put him in positions to succeed.  Duke?  Who knows.  It says a lot about the state of the Bills Receiving corp that someone who has only competed at the CFL level has the opportunity to become the 5th WR.  I hope he knows how to run routes and make plays.  He has some upside to him.  If not him, who else is in the running for the 5th spot?  I say 5th because Andre Roberts is really # 6.

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

His saying he lost heart for football and didn't work out between being kicked off Auburn and the combine or really go all-out to make it with the Rams in 2016 explains those results, but Tavon Austin's status as a #8 pick does not.  By 2016, Tavon Austin was a former top pick who had been making Rams coaches and fans cry for 3 disappointing seasons.  Austin wasn't on  "Coleman suck Island", but you could see his 32, 16, and 29.6 ypg seasons from there. 

So Austin could have been out-competed by a guy who was talked up as a 1st or 2nd round pick in the summer of 2015, but even we stipulate Britt was the #1, Austin was safe, and Ram's 2nd round pick Brian Quick had a lock on a roster spot, that still leaves a couple of spots.  The guys Williams failed to out-compete were Pharoh Cooper and Mike Thomas.  I dunno.  Maybe Williams had the perception since they were draft picks, they got all the benefit of the doubt, but he certainly made it a sure thing.

I hope he has his head on straight now, that's all.

Yours is clearly a more balanced position. Guess I was trying to find as many excuses for him as possible.? That said I still am excited to see what he does and feel that he has chances to be our #1. Maybe it is my unending optimism talking.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. I suppose it's been a circular evolution.

In all seriousness, this FEELS like a lot previous Bills "hidden gem" receivers. It would be awesome if he was the real deal, but my expectations are not high. More than the bar-fight, it's concerning that he didn't earn a spot on a Rams team devoid of talent at the position.

He's already established himself as "that guy" we're gonna fixate on in camp, so he'll provide entertainment if nothing else.

I thought Sills was that guy....

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, it's absolutely rose colored.  Maybe he just can't do it.   But the picture of the guy is very clear:  if there is any way, any way at all that he CAN do it, he WILL.   This is one determined dude.  May not be good enough, may screw up, may not make it for any number of reasons.  But this is second-round talent with new-found determination to succeed that has stayed on track for two years.   

If he makes it, he's beating out Zay.  Zay's not safe.   It sounds like this guy is as good or better than Zay at everything.   Definitely at making the big, contested catch.  But also route running, runs after catch, blocking.  He's a tough dude in all aspects of the game, and that's something we never say about Zay.  

I wear glasses that have rose colored prescription lenses.
Very positive about the Team in general. applies to Williams as well

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I thought Sills was that guy....

there are more than One of "that guy " to follow in camp.

Nice Bills have competition at so many positions this year.
O line 

WR TE RB
D line and CB as well.

going to to be a very active board when OTAs and camp begin  : )

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I wear glasses that have rose colored prescription lenses.
Very positive about the Team in general. applies to Williams as well

I did for years.  Then I went a long stretch without those glasses (rightfully so).  Since we drafted Josh Allen, I'm happy that I've gotten my rose colored prescription lenses back!

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, it's absolutely rose colored.  Maybe he just can't do it.   But the picture of the guy is very clear:  if there is any way, any way at all that he CAN do it, he WILL.   This is one determined dude.  May not be good enough, may screw up, may not make it for any number of reasons.  But this is second-round talent with new-found determination to succeed that has stayed on track for two years.   

If he makes it, he's beating out Zay.  Zay's not safe.   It sounds like this guy is as good or better than Zay at everything.   Definitely at making the big, contested catch.  But also route running, runs after catch, blocking.  He's a tough dude in all aspects of the game, and that's something we never say about Zay.  

I agree with your initial assessment: you absolutely got the rose-colored glasses on.

And that's ok.  Optimism is good.  If we know anything, it's that as Bills fans, we better be optimists or we're bound for the Pit of Misery.

As far as the last sentence, maybe that's something you say.  It's not something I say.  Zay has proven he can run routes, make catches, and block in the NFL.  After this guy gets here and shows something, we can decide if he's better at preseason and even then, we won't know if he's better when it's for real.  Until then, Zay did more in college, Zay did more at the combine, and Zay never showed his stuff in the CFL 'cuz Zay stuck with his first NFL team. 

But it's all good.  You Do You.  It's fun to watch, actually.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I did for years.  Then I went a long stretch without those glasses (rightfully so).  Since we drafted Josh Allen, I'm happy that I've gotten my rose colored prescription lenses back!

Congratulations!

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They might just trot him out in the red zone to high point the ball in the corner of the end zone.

The fade route is probably one of the least efficient redzone calls...

He's no Da'rick lol. We've seen this before. I wish him the best, but I'm skeptical. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

13 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The fade route is probably one of the least efficient redzone calls...

He's no Da'rick lol. We've seen this before. I wish him the best, but I'm skeptical. 

The rules are changed, one of few not favoring offenses - a DB can knock him out of sideline to prevent him WR from landing in bounds.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

"I can play if I stay out of trouble" ??? Wtf, how old is this guy? 12? Just stay out of trouble then you idiot. Ridiculous thing to say at 26.

Reading way too much into it.  

The guy got thrown out of college and blew his 1st NFL chance, not through lack of talent, but as a consequence of getting in trouble - trouble a lot of young fellas get into in their late teens/early 20s.  It cost him his chance at millions, just as it sometimes costs other young men flunking out of school, blowing their first job or maybe an arrest record.

All he means is that there wasn't previously disproof of his NFL-level abilities, just whether he had a level head to go with them (and now he says he does).

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Reading way too much into it.  

The guy got thrown out of college and blew his 1st NFL chance, not through lack of talent, but as a consequence of getting in trouble - trouble a lot of young fellas get into in their late teens/early 20s.  It cost him his chance at millions, just as it sometimes costs other young men flunking out of school, blowing their first job or maybe an arrest record.

All he means is that there wasn't previously disproof of his NFL-level abilities, just whether he had a level head to go with them (and now he says he does).

I know his history, but to be 26 now and say "if he can stay out of trouble" seems ridiculous to me. Just prove you can play and stay out of trouble. For him to say 'if' implies he somehow has no control of his actions.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

i adjusted my prescription about the same time.
 we shall see how it turns out.
But it sure has taken a turn for the better being a Bills fan.

makes it easier to cheer for Williams and Kids like him.

• Like (+1) 1

this guy is gonna be a stud wr for us.  period. i am so psyched...brown/ duke/ jones/beasely foster and combined with kroft and knox...not to mention shady out of the backfield,

we are gonna be unstoppable.  i'm looking for a big payday this year....and our defense is gonna be badass...

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Did he break Jps leg? I remember that kinda but dont remember anything about it being a lesson taught moment. I was a little young i guess

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/nfl/id/1866917

Buffalo Bills rookie quarterback J.P. Losman broke his left leg during practice Tuesday and will be out indefinitely.

The Bills must now decide whether to place Losman on injured reserve, a move that would sideline him for the season.

Losman, the second of Buffalo's two first-round picks, was hurt two hours into practice when he was finishing a run up the right side during a two-minute drill. As he was pulling up, cornerback Troy Vincent laid a shoulder into Losman's upper body, knocking him over.