Duke Williams-" I Can Play If I Stay Out Of Trouble"

I want this guy to be a beast, but just not sure I see it happening. I like how he tracks the ball and he looks like a stronger type for a WR. But that's about all I can see. Haven't seen enough of his route running to really know. I'll trust Beane on this one. Maybe can be an intermediate guy with Beasley working underneath and Brown and Foster going down the field. 

1 hour ago, R Y G A R said:

I want this guy to be a beast, but just not sure I see it happening. I like how he tracks the ball and he looks like a stronger type for a WR. But that's about all I can see. Haven't seen enough of his route running to really know. I'll trust Beane on this one. Maybe can be an intermediate guy with Beasley working underneath and Brown and Foster going down the field. 

They might just trot him out in the red zone to high point the ball in the corner of the end zone.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They might just trot him out in the red zone to high point the ball in the corner of the end zone.

I don’t like that play.  It seems like a hope and prayer.  Well at least inside the ten.

22 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m more excited about him than any of our WR additions.  Not because he’s the best, but because he’s such an unknown.  He could be cut.  He could be our best WR (unlikely, but Robert Foster was our best WR last year and he was cut during the season)

me too. i know he's gonna give 110% and could possibly be an eric moulds for us.

Duke Williams is a low risk gamble. There's plenty of video out there that proves that he can play. Personally I'm really happy we got him when we did. There are lots of players who've struggled and had that moment of clarity that's let them turn their lives around. Chris Carter is a classic example. The fact that the guy knows his previous behavior has hurt him and that chances are precious so not to be wasted. I'm confident that he'll make the team and be a contributor.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

I'm all for second chances, redemption, the guys that can turn a troubled past into being a good inllfluence/productive member of society.  That said, elite athletes do NOT have to live up to a higher standard. For the players that get in trouble, many are given the chance to redeem themselves. Take a normal college kid, add significant legal trouble, and you'll see a large number of opportunities closed. 

a bar room fight is a rather ordinary event on a college campus.  

On 5/4/2019 at 11:07 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note here that it was not "a mistake".  He was disciplined several times by Auburn including being inactive during a bowl game and being suspended, before he was kicked off for his 3rd strike.

I hope he's turned himself around and works out for us, and for his own sake.  But he was signed to a 3 yr deal by the LA Rams as an UDFA after what would have been his Sr year and given a shot,  and couldn't stick with the team.  The 2016 Rams were not a team overflowing with WR talent at the time, though they may have thought they had more than they did - the point is, he was out-competed by the likes of Pharoh Cooper and Brian Quick not to mention Tavon Austin.  Whether that was on the field or for off-field/meeting room factors can't tell ya.

He is on record as saying he didnt get what a privilege it was to play even after the bar fight. The consequences of the bar fight affected him both at the combine and during his tenure with the Rams - he kept thinking he shoulda been a first rounder. It was only after being cut from the Rams that his attitude changed. That does not mean it is a slam dunk that he is suddenly a WR messiah - but it does provide some context to why he was out-competed during the Rams training camp. He is also on record saying that opportunities were limited at Rams training camp due to being an UDFA. Tavon Austin was a #8 overall pick. So he would have had to "Coleman like suck" to be passed over for Duke.

22 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Bills have kept a player who injured a 1st round rookie QB to teach him a lesson so stranger things have happen.

Ironically he works for NFLPA who protests fines when players are suspended or injury fellow players.

Wait.... who was this?

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

He is on record as saying he didnt get what a privilege it was to play even after the bar fight. The consequences of the bar fight affected him both at the combine and during his tenure with the Rams - he kept thinking he shoulda been a first rounder. It was only after being cut from the Rams that his attitude changed. That does not mean it is a slam dunk that he is suddenly a WR messiah - but it does provide some context to why he was out-competed during the Rams training camp. He is also on record saying that opportunities were limited at Rams training camp due to being an UDFA. Tavon Austin was a #8 overall pick. So he would have had to "Coleman like suck" to be passed over for Duke.

His saying he lost heart for football and didn't work out between being kicked off Auburn and the combine or really go all-out to make it with the Rams in 2016 explains those results, but Tavon Austin's status as a #8 pick does not.  By 2016, Tavon Austin was a former top pick who had been making Rams coaches and fans cry for 3 disappointing seasons.  Austin wasn't on  "Coleman suck Island", but you could see his 32, 16, and 29.6 ypg seasons from there. 

So Austin could have been out-competed by a guy who was talked up as a 1st or 2nd round pick in the summer of 2015, but even we stipulate Britt was the #1, Austin was safe, and Ram's 2nd round pick Brian Quick had a lock on a roster spot, that still leaves a couple of spots.  The guys Williams failed to out-compete were Pharoh Cooper and Mike Thomas.  I dunno.  Maybe Williams had the perception since they were draft picks, they got all the benefit of the doubt, but he certainly made it a sure thing.

I hope he has his head on straight now, that's all.

This thread is only 5 pages long and it's already been an emotional rollercoaster. I went from loving Duke to questioning his off field antics to questioning his actual football ability to a state of cautious optimism that he might stick. I need to see a few more pages to decide how I really feel about this Williams character.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

This thread is only 5 pages long and it's already been an emotional rollercoaster. I went from loving Duke to questioning his off field antics to questioning his actual football ability to a state of cautious optimism that he might stick. I need to see a few more pages to decide how I really feel about this Williams character.

Can't you love Duke and have a state of cautious optimism that he might stick?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1