Duke Williams-" I Can Play If I Stay Out Of Trouble"

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I love guys who are talented and hungry with something to prove or a chip on their shoulder.  

Duke being hungry like this, self aware of what he needs to do off the field, how he has to earn everything and being honest that it could be his best chance or even last chance at the NFL is great to see.

I am excited for the kid and looking forward to seeing him compete to be on this team.

Agreed 100% - Duke is the only reason I was more or less okay with not taking a WR at all in the draft. While not a true rookie, I appreciate the attitude he's bringing and the motivation would rival that of anyone looking to prove themselves in the league. He's shown the talent and ability at multiple levels thus far and now needs to take the next step. We can say this from the comfort of a solid FA haul with Brown and Beasley giving Allen the more consistent support, but for people wanting that big fast DK type receiver, you may not have to look further than our current roster with this guy. Time will tell, but I think we see a great option emerge for Allen here.

These kids have to live up to a higher standard then we did, or most of the other students. There is a big difference between doing a bad thing and being a bad guy.  All of us have made mistakes.    An important part of the coaches job is taking a kid who did some dumb things and helping him grow up.  Finding players that are being undervalued because they did dumb things is another way to add talent to a roster.   I hope Duke is someone who is going to mature and help the team in an area they can surly use help.   

• Like (+1) 4

I am all in to redemption and he has kept "clean" for two years in the CFL so that is not a major concern.  I see his tape in Canada I just dont think he is fast/quick enough. He is not going to get that running start in the NFL,   Going to be a lot more difficult to get separation in the NFL.  Wonder if ha can/willing to play special teams. I think he can make the team but doubt there is a hidden superstar.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I love guys who are talented and hungry with something to prove or a chip on their shoulder.  

Duke being hungry like this, self aware of what he needs to do off the field, how he has to earn everything and being honest that it could be his best chance or even last chance at the NFL is great to see.

I am excited for the kid and looking forward to seeing him compete to be on this team.

I'm pulling for him, Alphadawg7!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Are you confusing him with Lamont Jackson?  I honestly don't get the reference to Duke's mother.

Anyway - from the day we signed him, I've been intrigued.  I love that he admits his mistake.  He certainly paid for it.  Count me in as one who would love to see him make the team and have a great career in Buffalo.  

I agree with you.  I'm intrigued as well and hope he makes it.  I just have serious doubts.  I've seen so many people given second chances that just fail and revert back to the same crap they were doing.  I hope he has it together and proves his doubters (like me) wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mcdamit said:

These kids have to live up to a higher standard then we did, or most of the other students. There is a big difference between doing a bad thing and being a bad guy.  All of us have made mistakes.    An important part of the coaches job is taking a kid who did some dumb things and helping him grow up.  Finding players that are being undervalued because they did dumb things is another way to add talent to a roster.   I hope Duke is someone who is going to mature and help the team in an area they can surly use help.   

I'm all for second chances, redemption, the guys that can turn a troubled past into being a good inllfluence/productive member of society.  That said, elite athletes do NOT have to live up to a higher standard. For the players that get in trouble, many are given the chance to redeem themselves. Take a normal college kid, add significant legal trouble, and you'll see a large number of opportunities closed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....better put on the big boyz' pants lad because this may be your ONLY shot at the NFL.....be smart and good luck.....

Bills’ former CFL star Duke Williams: I can play in the NFL, if I stay out of trouble

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 4, 2019, 8:07 AM EDT

Bills wide receiver Duke Williams knows he’s running out of chances as a football player.

Williams was kicked off the team at Auburn after a bar brawl that saw him punch four people, but he was able to revive his football career in the Canadian Football League and led the league with 1,579 receiving yards last year. That got the Bills’ attention, and they signed him in January.

Williams told the Buffalo News he knows he’s going to have to prove himself off the field just as much as on the field.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/04/bills-former-cfl-star-duke-williams-i-can-play-in-the-nfl-if-i-stay-out-of-trouble/

I hear the excitement but at the same time, troubles aside, he wasn’t a good NFL prospect On the feild either coming out. 

CFL helped mitigate his speed deficiency with that running start. 

But we’ll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

Same here. He has been left out of WR talk...like a non-entity. Interesting dark horse.

Hes gotten an unreasonably high amount of attention with many projecting him to start even. 

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I hear the excitement but at the same time, troubles aside, he wasn’t a good NFL prospect On the feild either coming out. 

But we’ll see. 

...agree...to coin the Mizzou gang...."show me".....

• Like (+1) 2

When things get tough, will he be a different guy?  His own admission if he can stay out of trouble.  It's easy to blame getting into trouble over not being good enough.  This is an interesting story heading into the summer.  Can he out physical Dbs in the NFL.  Can he seperate vs NFL dbs.  Those are the questions that landed him into the CFL.

1 hour ago, mcdamit said:

Really?  "A higher standard than we did, or most of the other students"?  I don't know where you went to school, but where I live, starting a fight with the bouncers outside a club would get your a** arrested, thrown in jail, and charged, instead of not even NAMED in the police report, not arrested, not charged.  And being late to a non-athlete job repeatedly would get your a** fired.

He may not be a bad guy, but he wasn't "held to a higher standard", he got extra changes for being a football star at a school where sports are important.

Agree that finding players who are undervalued because they are higher risk (have a past) is one way to add talent.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

But we’ll see.

Running start?  See this (yep, that's Duke Williams):  https://twitter.com/JasonMilne/status/1053501058306043906/video/1

Here's Williams draft profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dhaquille-williams?id=2555210

Pro Day Results
40-yard dash: 4.66 and 4.69 seconds
Vertical: 30 1/2 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 10 inches

Strengths
Big frame and usually plays to his size. Will post up cornerbacks down the field and uses his body to shield throws from defenders. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. Saw 82 percent of his catches go for first downs in 2014. At his best in longer developing, intermediate routes. Does solid job of setting up routes with leverage points and head ­fakes. Makes downfield catches with well­-timed hands to consistently pluck throws at the high­ point and will lay out to make the tough catch. Can grind out an extra couple of yards after the catch in order to get the first down. Has the size to help run game as a blocker if his care factor is right.

Weaknesses (character issues excised - we know about 'em)
Stiff hips and below average athlete.  Restricted, semi­-strider off snap and slow into routes. Wont slip many tackles in the open field after the catch. Despite his size, blocking not a priority for him. Small hands for his size. Can't shake free underneath and will have to live off of contested catches. Very little acceleration for separation out of breaks. Could be forced into slot role only.

Zierlein graded him as 5.25 "developmental prospect or ST potential", though it's not clear if that grade was based upon his athletic and game day measurables, or his off-field/character concerns. 

** if the link above doesn't work try the link embedded here

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/10/22/monday-hot-clicks-cfl-bc-lions-tj-lee-trucked-video

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

This should be a red flag  ?

Bills have kept a player who injured a 1st round rookie QB to teach him a lesson so stranger things have happen.

Ironically he works for NFLPA who protests fines when players are suspended or injury fellow players.

Edited by Limeaid

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I suppose I should add this to your thread about Zay, but you read this article, and particularly when you read about his 50-50 ball skills and the fact that he made himself a serious route runner in the slot, it's not hard to imagine Duke ahead of Zay on the depth chart by the end of August.  That leaves Zay head to head with Sills.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

?

Sure, but then there's also

plays to his size. .... uses his body to shield throws from defenders. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. ......Does solid job of setting up routes with leverage points and head ­fakes. .....consistently pluck throws at the high­ point ..... will lay out to make the tough catch. ......Can grind out YAC to get the first down

• Like (+1) 1