Duke Williams-" I Can Play If I Stay Out Of Trouble"

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note here that it was not "a mistake".  He was disciplined several times by Auburn including being inactive during a bowl game and being suspended, before he was kicked off.

I hope he's turned himself around and works out for us, and for his own sake.

If the competition is even, the guy with past history will lose. 

15 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

. "But at the end of the day, they know what type of guy I am. Me punching four people in a bar — that’s not me."

We need to clear this up, lets find this other guy

Got him

notme_ghost.gif?w=600

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

. "But at the end of the day, they know what type of guy I am. Me punching four people in a bar — that’s not me."

We need to clear this up, lets find this other guy

Uh oh...getting close to referring to himself in the ‘third person’?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Gotta be more than punching 4 people in a bar who aren’t women or children for a big time program like Auburn to drop him unless he wasn’t very good.  

It was.  3rd strike.  And one of the people he punched was a teammate, who was injured.  Reports at the time was that the teammate threatened to press charges unless Williams was dismissed. 

He had previously been disciplined twice, once by benching during a bowl game (when he had been Auburn's leading WR that season) and once pre-season.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note here that it was not "a mistake".  He was disciplined several times by Auburn including being inactive during a bowl game and being suspended, before he was kicked off for his 3rd strike.

I hope he's turned himself around and works out for us, and for his own sake.  But he was signed to a 3 yr deal by the LA Rams as an UDFA after what would have been his Sr year and given a shot,  and couldn't stick with the team.  The 2016 Rams were not a team overflowing with WR talent at the time, though they may have thought they had more than they did - the point is, he was out-competed by the likes of Pharoh Cooper and Brian Quick not to mention Tavon Austin.  Whether that was on the field or for off-field/meeting room factors can't tell ya.

Hes a huuuuuge long shot, but I’m down to have a lottery ticket or 2 in the 90 man roster. 

For productive discussion around here though, fans need to plan their finances with him as a lottery ticket and not a weekly paycheck though.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was.  3rd strike.  And one of the people he punched was a teammate, who was injured.

This should be a red flag  ?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note here that it was not "a mistake".  He was disciplined several times by Auburn including being inactive during a bowl game and being suspended, before he was kicked off for his 3rd strike.

I hope he's turned himself around and works out for us, and for his own sake.  But he was signed to a 3 yr deal by the LA Rams as an UDFA after what would have been his Sr year and given a shot,  and couldn't stick with the team.  The 2016 Rams were not a team overflowing with WR talent at the time, though they may have thought they had more than they did - the point is, he was out-competed by the likes of Pharoh Cooper and Brian Quick not to mention Tavon Austin.  Whether that was on the field or for off-field/meeting room factors can't tell ya.

Great info, thanks.  Normally, I'd be against bringing someone in with so many red flags.  I don't know what it is about this kid that has me in his corner.  But I am.  It would be a great story if he ends up with a sustained NFL career.  I guess we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Great info, thanks.  Normally, I'd be against bringing someone in with so many red flags.  I don't know what it is about this kid that has me in his corner.  But I am.  It would be a great story if he ends up with a sustained NFL career.  I guess we shall see.

He avoided discipline issues and performed very well in the CFL for 2 seasons. 

Like many a college star athlete, he was apparently infected with "BMOC" syndrome and let his taste of celebrity lead to entitlement.    A couple years in the wastelands of Edmonton could have been curative.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m more excited about him than any of our WR additions.  Not because he’s the best, but because he’s such an unknown.  He could be cut.  He could be our best WR (unlikely, but Robert Foster was our best WR last year and he was cut during the season)

Same here. He has been left out of WR talk...like a non-entity. Interesting dark horse.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

More like one year.   This is a guy who was dropped by Auburn, failed miserably as an UDFA with the Rams and came into his first training camp in the CFL unprepaired?   What kind of 5-watt light does he have burning upstairs??

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/04/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane-nfl-draft-vic-carucci-football/

"...Early in his first training camp with the Eskimos, one night after mandatory practices and meetings, Reilly hosted a players-only walkthrough on the field.

Reilly was the franchise quarterback, a two-time Grey Cup champion on the way to being named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player of 2017. He’s since become the third quarterback in league history to throw for more than 5,000 yards in three consecutive seasons, joining Anthony Cavillo and Doug Flutie.

Reilly commanded respect. And he didn’t think twice about holding Williams to account.

“We were going through some of our no-huddle hand signals,” Reilly recalled, “and I noticed he wasn’t really paying attention how I wanted him to, and so I called him out in front of everybody and asked him what the previous play was and what his route was on it and all that stuff, and he didn’t have an answer for me.”

Williams stammered and tried to guess.

“And he’s like, ‘Nah, you wrong,’ ” Williams remembered. “He was like, ‘You ain’t going to be here long doing that. This is our job. We feed our families with this.’

-------------------------------------------------

Williams caught 46 passes for 715 yards and four touchdowns in 13 games that season, but once he caught a couple of deep balls, defensive coordinators began to game plan against him, all but eliminating that aspect of his game.

Williams' limited repertoire became apparent, as did his poor conditioning. He surpassed 100 receiving yards in four of his first seven games, and then never again down the stretch.

Williams’ playing time decreased, along with his productivity, as more capable teammates returned from injuries.  Williams recorded no stats in the team’s final five games, all victories until a playoff loss to the Calgary Stampeders in the West Final.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Like many a college star athlete, he was apparently infected with "BMOC" syndrome and let his taste of celebrity lead to entitlement.    A couple years in the wastelands of Edmonton could have been curative.

I hope he does well. If he has matured, we could use his toughness.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was.  3rd strike.  And one of the people he punched was a teammate, who was injured.  Reports at the time was that the teammate threatened to press charges unless Williams was dismissed. 

He had previously been disciplined twice, once by benching during a bowl game (when he had been Auburn's leading WR that season) and once pre-season.

Let’s hope he’s learned and isn’t a simmering Richie Incognito.  I know, very different situations as Incognito likely has a mental health issue(s) not just an anger management one. 

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sounds like Jerry Hughes found someone to fight at training camp now that Mills is gone.

• Haha (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

More like one year.   This is a guy who was dropped by Auburn, failed miserably as an UDFA with the Rams and came into his first training camp in the CFL unprepaired?   What kind of 5-watt light does he have burning upstairs??

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/04/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane-nfl-draft-vic-carucci-football/

"...Early in his first training camp with the Eskimos, one night after mandatory practices and meetings, Reilly hosted a players-only walkthrough on the field.

Reilly was the franchise quarterback, a two-time Grey Cup champion on the way to being named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player of 2017. He’s since become the third quarterback in league history to throw for more than 5,000 yards in three consecutive seasons, joining Anthony Cavillo and Doug Flutie.

Reilly commanded respect. And he didn’t think twice about holding Williams to account.

“We were going through some of our no-huddle hand signals,” Reilly recalled, “and I noticed he wasn’t really paying attention how I wanted him to, and so I called him out in front of everybody and asked him what the previous play was and what his route was on it and all that stuff, and he didn’t have an answer for me.”

Williams stammered and tried to guess.

“And he’s like, ‘Nah, you wrong,’ ” Williams remembered. “He was like, ‘You ain’t going to be here long doing that. This is our job. We feed our families with this.’

-------------------------------------------------

Williams caught 46 passes for 715 yards and four touchdowns in 13 games that season, but once he caught a couple of deep balls, defensive coordinators began to game plan against him, all but eliminating that aspect of his game.

Williams' limited repertoire became apparent, as did his poor conditioning. He surpassed 100 receiving yards in four of his first seven games, and then never again down the stretch.

Williams’ playing time decreased, along with his productivity, as more capable teammates returned from injuries.  Williams recorded no stats in the team’s final five games, all victories until a playoff loss to the Calgary Stampeders in the West Final.

Correction accepted on the "played well 2 seasons"

I would personally take 46 receptions for 715 yds; that would have had him leading the Bills for receiving yds last year.

But yeah, big question is whether he's really gotten the clue that he needs all his focus and effort to make it in the NFL

The sheer physical talent levels are too similar to get by while mentally slacking.