Duke Williams-" I Can Play If I Stay Out Of Trouble"

.....better put on the big boyz' pants lad because this may be your ONLY shot at the NFL.....be smart and good luck.....

Bills’ former CFL star Duke Williams: I can play in the NFL, if I stay out of trouble

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 4, 2019, 8:07 AM EDT

Bills wide receiver Duke Williams knows he’s running out of chances as a football player.

Williams was kicked off the team at Auburn after a bar brawl that saw him punch four people, but he was able to revive his football career in the Canadian Football League and led the league with 1,579 receiving yards last year. That got the Bills’ attention, and they signed him in January.

Williams told the Buffalo News he knows he’s going to have to prove himself off the field just as much as on the field.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/04/bills-former-cfl-star-duke-williams-i-can-play-in-the-nfl-if-i-stay-out-of-trouble/

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

I love guys who are talented and hungry with something to prove or a chip on their shoulder.  

Duke being hungry like this, self aware of what he needs to do off the field, how he has to earn everything and being honest that it could be his best chance or even last chance at the NFL is great to see.

I am excited for the kid and looking forward to seeing him compete to be on this team.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 13

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I love guys who are talented and hungry with something to prove or a chip on their shoulder.  

Duke being hungry like this, self aware of what he needs to do off the field, how he has to earn everything and being honest that it could be his best chance or even last chance at the NFL is great to see.

I am excited for the kid and looking forward to seeing him compete to be on this team.

According to many on here, apparently having a chip on your shoulder is not a real thing. 

But it I agree with you. Duke brings a little something different to that receiver room that needs an edge and some swagger, ala Robert Woods. Both Duke and Sills bring that energy. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m more excited about him than any of our WR additions.  Not because he’s the best, but because he’s such an unknown.  He could be cut.  He could be our best WR (unlikely, but Robert Foster was our best WR last year and he was cut during the season)

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Do we sign him or his Mama?  Time for a dose of maturity Duke.

Are you confusing him with Lamont Jackson?  I honestly don't get the reference to Duke's mother.

Anyway - from the day we signed him, I've been intrigued.  I love that he admits his mistake.  He certainly paid for it.  Count me in as one who would love to see him make the team and have a great career in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

According to many on here, apparently having a chip on your shoulder is not a real thing. 

But it I agree with you. Duke brings a little something different to that receiver room that needs an edge and some swagger, ala Robert Woods. Both Duke and Sills bring that energy. 

....if the guys mans up about his eff ups and understands that this is probably his LAST chance, show up big time....revisiting Richie for a moment......he was a camp cramp and menace for the Rams and Bflo took a chance......he did perform for one year and wanted the "hell outta Dodge"......after the Miami fiasco and being unofficially blackballed for a year, the ONLY team to step up, despite him wanting to leave pronto previously, was Bflo......sure as hell paid dividends for 3 years......so maybe this kid gets "IT" as Richie got "IT" at the "Last Chance Saloon"...I'll take 2-3 years of similar production from Duke.....stay tuned........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Well, if we can keep him clear of Chad Kelly, hockey players named Kane, and copies of ‘Captain Billy’s Whiz Bang’, we should be OK.

Mongolian BBQ also. 

18 minutes ago, simpleman said:

I don't care about chips or attitude. All I care is can they properly do their assigned tasks in the game, get separation, catch the ball, and extend the play.

How about if his chips and attitude get him in trouble outside the stadium, even if he's religiously doing his assigned tasks in games?

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

. "But at the end of the day, they know what type of guy I am. Me punching four people in a bar — that’s not me."

We need to clear this up, lets find this other guy

It wasn't until he punched the fourth guy that he started to question if that's the type of person he is or not. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Are you confusing him with Lamont Jackson?  I honestly don't get the reference to Duke's mother.

Anyway - from the day we signed him, I've been intrigued.  I love that he admits his mistake.  He certainly paid for it.  Count me in as one who would love to see him make the team and have a great career in Buffalo.  

Just a note here that it was not "a mistake".  He was disciplined several times by Auburn including being inactive during a bowl game and being suspended, before he was kicked off for his 3rd strike.

I hope he's turned himself around and works out for us, and for his own sake.  But he was signed to a 3 yr deal by the LA Rams as an UDFA after what would have been his Sr year and given a shot,  and couldn't stick with the team.  The 2016 Rams were not a team overflowing with WR talent at the time, though they may have thought they had more than they did - the point is, he was out-competed by the likes of Pharoh Cooper and Brian Quick not to mention Tavon Austin.  Whether that was on the field or for off-field/meeting room factors can't tell ya.

• Like (+1) 3