How much should height be a factor in which WR's to make the final roster?

Right now we have 4 wr's in the range of 5' 8-5'9".   Beasley is 5'8", Bolden 5'8", McKenzie 5'8", McCloud 5'9". 

5 wr's in the range of 5'11" - 6'0".   Brown is 5'11", Roberts 5'11", Easley 5'11", Phillips 6;0", Scott 6'0"

4 wr's in the range of 6'2" -6'4".   Foster is 6'2", Jones 6'2". Williams 6'3",  Sills 6'4"

Obviously, talent, motivation, etc. are the most important considerations ,  but can you keep 3 or 4 of the 5'8" on the roster?

Just now, Bangarang said:

You keep whoever gets open and catches the ball.

Yes, this. But I think you do need to look at a diversity of skills. If there’s someone who can consistently win jump balls, you might value that over two smaller guys who have similar play styles

• Like (+1) 1

From what I've read, Beane and McD originally were trying to go with big possession receivers like KB...they ended up changing the plan after watching how Allen plays, so now they want basically what Bangarang said "guys with speed that can get open and catch the ball"...I think they'll go with 1 or maybe 2 WR's in the KB style, like Duke on the roster right now...although I have never seen Duke play so I really have no idea if he can move and get open or not

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yes, this. But I think you do need to look at a diversity of skills. If there’s someone who can consistently win jump balls, you might value that over two smaller guys who have similar play styles

True, but height isn’t always indicative of skill set. Some WRs play a lot bigger than their listed size. Davante Adams and OBJ aren’t “big WRs”, but if offensive success is predicted on jump balls and contested catches I can’t think of two players I’d rather have. That’s not to say we have anyone with that level of talent on the team, but vertical, body control, and attitude can go a long ways. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'll always take the biggest and fastest guys.

I'd rather have 5 Robert Fosters, than 5 Cole Beasleys.

I think it comes down to Foster, Jones, Brown, Beasley, Williams, Sills and McKenzie.

(The fact that Andre Roberts will probably take a WR spot and never play WR is really annoying...that takes a spot from someone more talented.)

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

Right now we have 4 wr's in the range of 5' 8-5'9".   Beasley is 5'8", Bolden 5'8", McKenzie 5'8", McCloud 5'9". 

5 wr's in the range of 5'11" - 6'0".   Brown is 5'11", Roberts 5'11", Easley 5'11", Phillips 6;0", Scott 6'0"

4 wr's in the range of 6'2" -6'4".   Foster is 6'2", Jones 6'2". Williams 6'3",  Sills 6'4"

Obviously, talent, motivation, etc. are the most important considerations ,  but can you keep 3 or 4 of the 5'8" on the roster?

It's very unlikely they're going to keep 3 or 4 of the 5'8" wr based on talent, not height. 

Victor Bolden couldn't crack a weak-sauce lineup last year and the ST coach who used him is gone.

McKenzie and/or McCloud stay only for ST abilities, and the fact that the Bills signed Andre Roberts to a 2 year deal is probably a clue to the Bills evaluation there.

(BTW some sources have Roberts at 6'0", not that it matters much)

Another way of breaking them down here

"New additions: John Brown, Cole Beasley, Andre Roberts, Duke Williams

Returning from 2018: Zay Jones, Robert Foster, Isaish Mckenzie, Ray-Ray Mccloud, Da’mari Scott, Cam Phiillips, Victor Bolden, Jr.

First-year wide receivers coach Chad Hall has his work in front of him this spring, also. He’s got three veteran NFL free agents added to the group (Brown, Beasley and Roberts) and an interesting CFL veteran in Duke Williams.

The Bills will have to sort through the various skill sets in their receiving group to find the right five-six-man unit by September.

They have speed wide receivers in Foster, Brown, and McKenzie; a size-matchup in Duke Williams (6-3, 225 pounds); an all-around receiver in Zay Jones, and an accomplished slot receiver in Cole Beasley. What flavor do you want?"

I kind of poo-poo'd the stuff about "Zay Jones won't make the roster", but truth, if Duke Williams shows anything, Beasley and Brown have gas left, and Foster picks up where he left off - he might not. 

Looking at it from the contractual point of view:

Andre Roberts contract has $3M guaranteed, so you'd think they intend to keep him (not certain though - Beane has previously shown $3.5M can be chump change to him if there's nothing there). 

John Brown's contract has $10M fully guaranteed, as does Beasley's, and that's moving towards "I consider it real money" for the Beaner.  It would certainly be a serious egg-on-your face to his player evaluation to cut either of them, so if they're healthy, they're on the 53.

That leaves maybe 3 spots Foster, Jones, Williams and the rest are competing for.  3 spots for 10 guys.

14 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

I'll always take the biggest and fastest guys.

I'd rather have 5 Robert Fosters, than 5 Cole Beasleys.

I think it comes down to Foster, Jones, Brown, Beasley, Williams, Sills and McKenzie.

(The fact that Andre Roberts will probably take a WR spot and never play WR is really annoying...that takes a spot from someone more talented.)

If that biggest fastest guy can't run good consistent routes and release off the line, you're nuts.

The 6th and sometimes 5th WR on an NFL roster is almost always a ST guy who can fill in at WR in case of injury, so I don't know why it should annoy you.  ST talent matters too, as shown by the Bills last year.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's very unlikely they're going to keep 3 or 4 of the 5'8" wr based on talent, not height. 

Victor Bolden couldn't crack a weak-sauce lineup last year and the ST coach who used him is gone.

McKenzie and/or McCloud stay only for ST abilities, and the fact that the Bills signed Andre Roberts to a 2 year deal is probably a clue to the Bills evaluation there.

(BTW some sources have Roberts at 6'0", not that it matters much)

Another way of breaking them down here

"New additions: John Brown, Cole Beasley, Andre Roberts, Duke Williams

Returning from 2018: Zay Jones, Robert Foster, Isaish Mckenzie, Ray-Ray Mccloud, Da’mari Scott, Cam Phiillips, Victor Bolden, Jr.

First-year wide receivers coach Chad Hall has his work in front of him this spring, also. He’s got three veteran NFL free agents added to the group (Brown, Beasley and Roberts) and an interesting CFL veteran in Duke Williams.

The Bills will have to sort through the various skill sets in their receiving group to find the right five-six-man unit by September.

They have speed wide receivers in Foster, Brown, and McKenzie; a size-matchup in Duke Williams (6-3, 225 pounds); an all-around receiver in Zay Jones, and an accomplished slot receiver in Cole Beasley. What flavor do you want?"

I kind of poo-poo'd the stuff about "Zay Jones won't make the roster", but truth, if Duke Williams shows anything, Beasley and Brown have gas left, and Foster picks up where he left off - he might not. 

Looking at it from the contractual point of view:

Andre Roberts contract has $3M guaranteed, so you'd think they intend to keep him (not certain though - Beane has previously shown $3.5M can be chump change to him if there's nothing there). 

John Brown's contract has $10M fully guaranteed, as does Beasley's, and that's moving towards "I consider it real money" for the Beaner.  It would certainly be a serious egg-on-your face to his player evaluation to cut either of them, so if they're healthy, they're on the 53.

That leaves maybe 3 spots Foster, Jones, Williams and the rest are competing for.  3 spots for 10 guys.

If that biggest fastest guy can't run good consistent routes and release off the line, you're nuts.

The 6th and sometimes 5th WR on an NFL roster is almost always a ST guy who can fill in at WR in case of injury, so I don't know why it should annoy you.  ST talent matters too, as shown by the Bills last year.

the way I usually look at it is this: Bills usually keep 1 or 2 players amongst 3 different positions that primarily play ST - DB, WR and RB...This year I don't think they use the RB spot which leaves WR and DB...I think they'll go with 6 or 7 WR  with 1 of them being Roberts...this means they might not be able to keep the 6 or 7 DB's they sometimes do, they might have to settle with 5 or 6...Roberts can put the team in some great position next season with his return skills...plus he returns both punts and kickoffs which would save from having to put a starting player in those positions...

I think you take the 6 best WR (hopefully no serious injuries occur)

Can Williams adjust to the NFL? Does Zay take one of these spots and run with it?

Beasley, Brown, Foster and Roberts assuming they play up to their abilities would seem locks to make the final roster. Sills could go on the Practice Squad if he shows anything.

Or maybe one of the other guys steps forward... Time will tell...

• Like (+1) 1

I've heard Beane break down the WR position as a whole and refer to it as a basketball team. Something along the lines of ideally you'd like to have guys able to do x,y, and z.

At the end of the day, the best players should make the roster, but I do believe they put some stock into a "balanced" group.

2 hours ago, tomur67 said:

none