UDFA class rankings (Rotoworld)

PIZ

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Don't like all the UB guys, but how in the world can you question this regime in the UDFA department after Foster/Wallace?

They've made a lot of "questionable" decisions, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

These rankings are meaningless. How in the world can you accurately gauge the true value of guys who weren't even drafted? 

'All' the UB guys, meaning Jackson and Cam Lewis?

Or am I missing others?

Edited by junior12thman92

3 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

And how many of these guys make a NFL roster?  My guess is 10 - 15%, tops.  They're now ranking meaningless crap like this?  Enough already.

I’m not sure that many make it to the NFL, but let’s say you’re correct. How many of these guys ever see the field? Much less have any impact.

14 hours ago, PIZ said:

So look at the guy's pre-draft rankings.  He says he derived this from that.   Do teams agree with his pre-draft rankings?

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/rankings/thor-500-nystroms-big-board

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Perhaps the most meaningless exercise ever conducted

You're probably a wee miniscule tad harsh here ? , but given that UDFA signings are influenced by info to which the public lacks access, sure.

2 hours ago, cage said:

I still don't really understand why they wouldn't have grabbed Anthony Johnson.  Sticks out out on this listing.  Should have grabbed him with our last 7th

There was some suggestion that AJ wanted no part of the Bills.  I'd be curious about why but he did have extensive interactions with the Bills over multiple years.  Maybe he wanted out of town, or some tense relationship with a scout or coach (sometimes they tell prospects things they do not want to hear) or maybe the report was bs.  I think he has a chance to stick in the NFL and get a nice start on his career at the very least, ala Namaan.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So look at the guy's pre-draft rankings.  He says he derived this from that.   Do teams agree with his pre-draft rankings?

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/rankings/thor-500-nystroms-big-board

You're probably a wee miniscule tad harsh here ? , but given that UDFA signings are influenced by info to which the public lacks access, sure.

I meant because of the relatively few of these players who will end up having a meaningful career in the NFL...how many? Maybe 3 total?

10 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

There was some suggestion that AJ wanted no part of the Bills.  I'd be curious about why but he did have extensive interactions with the Bills over multiple years.  Maybe he wanted out of town, or some tense relationship with a scout or coach (sometimes they tell prospects things they do not want to hear) or maybe the report was bs.  I think he has a chance to stick in the NFL and get a nice start on his career at the very least, ala Namaan.

He probably didnt want to attempt to catch lasers and make himself look bad

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

I’m not sure that many make it to the NFL, but let’s say you’re correct. How many of these guys ever see the field? Much less have any impact.

You are grossly underestimating the role of UDFAs on NFL rosters.  In any given year, there are as many UDFAs on 53-man rosters as first and second round picks combined—an average of about 14 per team.  In the 2018 Super Bowl, one quarter of the players on the two rosters were undrafted.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

Best case is that one or two guys from the list turn into decent contributors each year.  If you have many more than that it is probably an indication that your roster is weak,  There are always gems and Buffalo has landed quite a few over the years Freddie Jackson being an example, now Foster is another.