Jim Kubiak: Here is Josh Allen's to-do list heading into second season

2 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

It’s not like the author doesn’t have some credibility to write this article. But, come on, tell us something we don’t know about Josh Allen already.

What could we be told about Josh Allen that we don't already know at this point?  Seriously?  Anything written at this point of the season is going to be repetition.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Complete nothing of an article. Seriously. How did the editor's desk sign off on this? Lots of words and yet no content. 

I must have lower standards for content.  I thought it could have been helped by editing and by being blunter about certain things he implies but leaves unsaid.  He did a good job spelling out the bottom line: offense simply needs to score more points - and laying out where Allen contributes to this and where other contributions are needed. 

I appreciated yet another QB coach reiterating the key importance of footwork to accuracy, a good word for Dorsey as the Bills new QB coach.  He didn't diss on the previous QB coach but it's there by contrast when he points out "Dorsey brings much-needed experience as he has played the position, coached the position, and scouted the position"  Kubiak shares that " In my experience, these foundational elements are rarely worked on during the season, as much of a quarterback's time is spent mentally and physically preparing for the next game. Quarterbacks can, and do, develop bad habits with a lack of focus on the fundamentals." and points out Dorsey will need to fit in continued drills into the regular season somehow if Allen is to become consistent.

Dorsey implies, but does not explictly indict, the Bills shocking lack of run game last year as a contributing factor to Allen's TD/INT ratio:
"Many factors contribute to “TD to INT ratio” because this is not only about accuracy. This also is about situations and decisions. The inability to run the football successfully with consistency will also affect this category by placing the quarterback in great peril without being able to rely on the run game for balance. Throwing the football away, rather than committing costly turnovers, and the maturity to accept this outcome also plays into this category."

Maybe you all have seen it elsewhere, but I hadn't seen before that Allen's completion percentage under pressure was only 47.4%, and he was 2nd in the league in the number of times he was pressured on drop-back.  Part of that is the lack of effective run game; opponents knew they could pin their ears back and rush the passer because we weren't able to effectively rush.  Implied but again not stated: to develop Allen, the OL needs to give him more time and needs to enable a successful rushing attack.

Clearly what he means is Allen knew damn well last year if he didn't do it, it likely wasn't going to get done on offense, and this "trying to do too much" ratcheted up his INT count.  To improve Allen, it's not just on Allen; the rest of the team needs to take a step. 

In Kubiak's 5 bullet point summation, I thought it was telling that 3 of the 5 bullet points are not about Allen.

PS the tact/lack of blunt speak is part of the difference between having a football coach as a contributor vs. having a professional journalist.  IMO they both have value - the journalist because bluntly spelling stuff out is not a "career limiting move" for him; the coach because he actually knows or is willing to look up stuff like completion percentage under pressure/# of pressures, the critical importance of footwork to accuracy, and the fact that technical drills normally don't get done during the NFL season.  Kubiak is still an active football coach who may wish to progress in coaching, and calling out the Bills for the previous QB coach etc would be a CLM if so.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Worrying about perfect footwork is for those QB's that don't have natural ability.  If you don't have the natural talent - then you better be perfect fundamentally.  I largely think it's played buzzword.  Most don't know what it actually means - so it's an easy word to say and not get called out.  

I get working on fundamentals but that's not where I want the bulk of Allen's time spent.  I want him to spend loads of time studying film and reading defenses.  That is the #1 thing for a young QB to do.  This accuracy because of footwork thing - IMO - is total BS.  The better you read defenses the more comfortable you get and deliver the ball properly.  

This league should be very nervous if he does master reading defenses.  That with better players and this kid is going to sky rocket.  

Don't believe the other BS like this article fellow fans. 

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Worrying about perfect footwork is for those QB's that don't have natural ability.  If you don't have the natural talent - then you better be perfect fundamentally.  I largely think it's played buzzword.  Most don't know what it actually means - so it's an easy word to say and not get called out.  

I get working on fundamentals but that's not where I want the bulk of Allen's time spent.  I want him to spend loads of time studying film and reading defenses.  That is the #1 thing for a young QB to do.  This accuracy because of footwork thing - IMO - is total BS.  The better you read defenses the more comfortable you get and deliver the ball properly.  

This league should be very nervous if he does master reading defenses.  That with better players and this kid is going to sky rocket.  

Don't believe the other BS like this article fellow fans. 

Well, it's a far more substantive contribution than "I'm sorry,  but I find these articles nauseating" so good on you for that.

"Natural ability", I think, includes the ability to throw accurately, including all the NFL throws (slants, backfield, outlet)

If a QB doesn't have those, then he better work hard on the ability to make 'em

No one said anything about perfect, but being able to "hit the bunnies", the short passes, is something an NFL QB better be able to do.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, it's a far more substantive contribution than "I'm sorry,  but I find these articles nauseating" so good on you for that.

"Natural ability", I think, includes the ability to throw accurately, including all the NFL throws (slants, backfield, outlet)

If a QB doesn't have those, then he better work hard on the ability to make 'em

No one said anything about perfect, but being able to "hit the bunnies", the short passes, is something an NFL QB better be able to do.

Sometimes I have time to elaborate and sometimes I don't.  In either case it's nauseating to keep hearing the same baseless regurgitation of the same opinions.   It's not uncommon for a rookie QB to be miss the short "gimme" throws.  This is largely due to the speed of the game and their inability to slow down - because of their inexperience.  If we are uneducated enough to believe it's because his left toe is pointed in the wrong direction - then you'll enjoy these type of articles.   

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

Sometimes I have time to elaborate and sometimes I don't.  In either case it's nauseating to keep hearing the same baseless regurgitation of the same opinions.   It's not uncommon for a rookie QB to be miss the short "gimme" throws.  This is largely due to the speed of the game and their inability to slow down - because of their inexperience.  If we are uneducated enough to believe it's because his left toe is pointed in the wrong direction - then you'll enjoy these type of articles.   

It isn't?  Can you help me out with examples?  Because I can't think of another rookie QB drafted high where I saw the misses on short and backfield passes (on pro day and at combine, not just on the field) as with Josh Allen.  Thanks.  I also saw times when he had an open guy downfield (Shady on the sideline, say), his head was turned in that direction, and pulled it down and ran instead of throwing.  Why, if he had confidence in his ability to hit those throws?

It's something that a lot of people who know something pointed out pre-draft, so let's leave out the "uneducated" stuff, K?

PS it's not his "left toe pointed in the wrong direction".  This was also hashed out pre-draft.  Kubiak refers to an overstride, which echoes what Palmer said.  Several of us pre draft commented that unlike Lamar Jackson, where we could tell whether or not the throw would be on-target by his footwork, Allen made "wtf?" throws where we couldn't pick out the technique flaw.  The 'overstride' made sense to us as that's something we couldn't readily see on tape.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It isn't?  Can you help me out with examples?  Because I can't think of another rookie QB drafted high where I saw the misses on short and backfield passes (on pro day and at combine, not just on the field) as with Josh Allen.  Thanks.  I also saw times when he had an open guy downfield (Shady on the sideline, say), his head was turned in that direction, and pulled it down and ran instead of throwing.  Why, if he had confidence in his ability to hit those throws?

It's something that a lot of people who know something pointed out pre-draft, so let's leave out the "uneducated" stuff, K?

PS it's not his "left toe pointed in the wrong direction".  This was also hashed out pre-draft.  Kubiak refers to an overstride, which echoes what Palmer said.  Several of us pre draft commented that unlike Lamar Jackson, where we could tell whether or not the throw would be on-target by his footwork, Allen made "wtf?" throws where we couldn't pick out the technique flaw.  The 'overstride' made sense to us as that's something we couldn't readily see on tape.

This is exactly what I mean.  These broad strokes.  When I have some time I'll look up some footage (if I can provide) and stats if there's one single QB drafted high that missed as many on his pro day, combine and rookie season.  I'll guess that there was at least one.  

Did you see the "technique flaw" on the incomplete passes or some of the completions as well?  Thanks.

54 minutes ago, White Linen said:

This is exactly what I mean.  These broad strokes.  When I have some time I'll look up some footage (if I can provide) and stats if there's one single QB drafted high that missed as many on his pro day, combine and rookie season.  I'll guess that there was at least one.  

Did you see the "technique flaw" on the incomplete passes or some of the completions as well?  Thanks.

Since I admit I couldn't see the technique flaw for Allen at all, this is a strange question.  For Jackson, no, I couldn't see the flaw when he threw accurate completions.  Sometimes I saw it where the WR was able to come back or lay out for the catch.