“Still Miles Away” -Colin Cowherd

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Cowherd was initially VERY anti josh Allen then changed his tune 

That's because some of the Fantasy Football type draft pundits made it fashionable to rag on Allen as a QB with a 0% probability of success in the NFL.

Once he won games and showed some progress, that looked foolish against the background of all the 1st round QB they said nicer things about, who totally looked lost in the league - Paxton Lynch, Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weedon, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder -  so it fell out of fashion.

I'm pretty optimistic about this season.  I don't think we are quite there yet, but I certainly wouldn't say we are miles away.  On paper the Bills made some solid improvements over last year.  The important part is still going to be if the QB can get the job done.

On 5/3/2019 at 8:13 AM, wagon127 said:

They keep saying the Jets did so much to improve, we didn't??? I think we will finish better then the jets. If I was forced to put money on it, I would say at best the Jets have no more then 1 win better than us. The dolphins are definitely finishing last in the division......

Jets are looking like the Redskins to me. Heavy spending and trades on big names. 

On 5/3/2019 at 7:03 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Sees us as last in the Division. Obviously, he has many critics, but I’ve always liked him and he makes points.

*Alarming 7 Blowout loses

*Young QBs do better with Offensive HC

*Fish go from 7-9 pretenders to WC consideration w/Rosen

*Pats* great Draft

*Jets did much to improve 

I’m good with this analysis as we all (AFCE) play a comparatively favorable schedule and no Bills fans really know what we have or who we are yet. We’re putting a lot of stock and hope that all the pieces will fit nicely very quickly. If not, and it’s unreasonable to expect it, we’re going to lose games we likely should and could have won, while learning ‘who we are’.

I still think 10 wins is possible, but it’ll take at least 3 Division wins to accomplish.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/buffalo-bills-still-miles-away-from-competing-in-afc-says-colin-cowherd.html

I think this piece does a good job illustrating Cowherd's stock in trade.

"It was in Vegas where Cowherd first learned that you can draw attention to yourself by being a contrarian. The UNLV Runnin’ Rebels were one of the best basketball programs in the country in the late 80s, and they would win a title in 1990 and nearly go undefeated in 1991. The brash, cocky team attracted national attention, and everyone (well, except the NCAA) loved its colorful coach, the seemingly shady Jerry Tarkianan. In February, 1990, after center Moses Scurry punched Utah State’s head coach during a brawl, Cowherd used his perch as a sports anchor to slam Tarkianan and the team for classless behavior.

“I went to the grocery store that night and people came up to me and said, ‘**** you, who are you, **** you!”’ Cowherd said, jabbing his finger in the air. “Ripping Tark was like ripping the Pope at the Vatican. Tark was it. Tark was bigger than Steve Wynn!”

Cowherd’s button-pushing style can be traced to his favorite radio personality, Howard Cosell. “I liked people who got attention. I kind of respect guys willing to be hated "
(.....)
“I’m paid to be a mile wide and an inch deep,” he said. "
-----------------------------------------------
Keep that in mind when evaluating anything Cowherd says.

I'd say we're miles away in the sense that it's MAY for crying out loud... We don't even know what this team is going to look like come September.

Might a s well sit tight... It's Gonna be a looooooong summer.

• Like (+1) 1

Minus the Fins comment....I agree. The jets have a nice looking roster and Darnold wasnt too bad for a rookie either. 

The jets and the bills have very similar looking rosters. I just think theirs is a tad more talented. Not by much. I believe we have the coaching edge.

Cowherd is like anyone else...says some good stuff and says some stupid stuff...but at the end of the day hell say what he needs to for the ratings. 

Edited by Ramza86

6 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Minus the Fins comment....I agree. The jets have a nice looking roster and Darnold wasnt too bad for a rookie either. 

The jets and the bills have very similar looking rosters. I just think theirs is a tad more talented. Not by much. I believe we have the coaching edge.

Cowherd is like anyone else...says some good stuff and says some stupid stuff...but at the end of the day hell say what he needs to for the ratings. 

how's that Jets OL looking?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Hah not too hot...but I cant say im very confident about ours either. Glad we were able to gain some additions. 

really? IF you don't think our Offensive line is miles ahead of where it was last year then your lost.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

really? IF you don't think our Offensive line is miles ahead of where it was last year then your lost.

Miles ahead of the worst Bills offensive line ive ever seen isnt saying much to me yet. Lol. 

While im hopeful...I cant be confident on a brand new line that hasnt played a down together yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ramza86 said:

Miles ahead of the worst Bills offensive line ive ever seen isnt saying much to me yet. Lol. 

While im hopeful...I cant be confident on a brand new line that hasnt played a down together yet. 

I get that.. But the Quality is there unlike last year. We can only go on what is in front of us

35 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

1 decent player addition improves our OL considerably from last year. Add 2 high quality OL and a few more solid upgrades.. I fail to see how we are not considerably better just by default.

Like you said worst OL you can remember last year and this year only 1 of those OL will be starting. 4 new upgraded starters with 2 of those position getting MAJOR upgrades... I think weez good.

I can apply the same logic to our WR core...  I'm flying full staff with preseason excitement

Edited by ddaryl

Just now, ddaryl said:

are you kidding 1 decent player addition improves our OL considerably from last year. Add 2 high quality OL and a few more solid upgrades.. I fail to see how we are not considerably better just by default.

Like you said worst OL you can remember last year and this year only 1 of those OL will be starting. 4 new starters with 2 of those position getting MAJOR upgrades... I think weez good.

I can apply the same logic to our WR core...  I'm flying full staff with preseason excitement

Im glad to hear it. I do think this team is better....how much better? how much better or worse than the rest of the league? Boy...for me....hard to say until we see these guys play together.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Im glad to hear it. I do think this team is better....how much better? how much better or worse than the rest of the league? Boy...for me....hard to say until we see these guys play together.

yeah that is always the way this time of year. I always come in optomisitic.. I believe this team is poised to make a very large jump. I'm thinking a playoff win but it all rest on 1 thing.. Does Josh Allen take the big step

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

they've upgraded but it's still bad.

Allen will continue to struggle in large part because that they didn't do enough at the position(and TE position). IMO. 

Quite the opposite in my opinion. Our WR's are fine, and I do not believe you have to have a prima donna 1st rd WR to have a good WR corp.  We are significantly upgraded over last year. It is purely up to Allen and Daboll to take advantage of an improved OL and WR corps and NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND THIS YEAR.

Allen simply must elevate the offense around him.. NO EXCUSES the team has been improved enough around him to EXPECT a serious improvement

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

in 2018 the bills fielded the #2 defense in yards and the #1 pass defense. If the run defense improves the Bills should field a very dominant unit, and perhaps even number one overall. This season could be very special for the Bills. 

The Bills defensive rankings were very deceptive.  The team was not nearly as dominant as some of its rankings suggest as evidenced by the fact that they were middle of the pack in other defensive measures.  They  weren't very good in stopping teams from scoring last season, especially in the Red Zone, and they frequently gave opponents short fields because of offensive turn overs.   That so many opponents got up early on the Bills meant that teams could afford to be conservative late in the game.  Those factors contributed significantly to that #2 ranking in yards.   A major contribution to the #1 pass defense was the fact that the Bills defense too often couldn't stop the run as well as opponents' big early leads in several games enabled teams to run more.

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

The Bills OL could improve 100% and still  be too poor to give Allen enough pass pro or the RBs holes  ... that's how bad it was last season.

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

1 decent player addition improves our OL considerably from last year. Add 2 high quality OL and a few more solid upgrades.. I fail to see how we are not considerably better just by default.

Like you said worst OL you can remember last year and this year only 1 of those OL will be starting. 4 new upgraded starters with 2 of those position getting MAJOR upgrades... I think weez good.

The Bills added 1 decent player, Morse, to their OL.   The other FAs are either older or weren't good enough to start on their previous teams except for injury.  Hopefully one or more proves to be a quality starter, but there's no guarantee of anything.  Ford may be a starter from Day 1 but probably he'll take at least a few games to be good enough to be a starter.  Dawkins looks to be the best of the returning OLers from last season, but do we get Dawkins from 2017 or from 2018?   The OL has the potential to be average but as somebody said once said, "potential only means you ain't done **** yet".  They gotta prove it.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1