“Still Miles Away” -Colin Cowherd

On 5/3/2019 at 8:05 AM, RiotAct said:

Fish go from 7-9 pretenders to WC consideration w/Rosen”

?????

Blowhard Coward's take? How does he keep getting such cutting-edge intel? Was he in attendance at some high level business meetings, or does he have Russ Brandon on speed dial? Oh, wait, you say that Brandon DOESN'T work for the Bills anymore? Hate to break it to you, folks, Old Blowhard Coward is playing 4D chess; he's using deep intel from the Whaley regime to get these piping hot takes! ???

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I like the Wisconsin kid they took in the draft think he will be a plug and play guy and they have the most important piece - a left tackle. But yes, you are right, they haven't replaced James and center is still an issue too.

I like him too, but he's just one piece and some stopgaps to fill 2-3 holes. 

If they start Fitz, he has the decision making and quick release to get the most out of a line.

But Rosen struggled badly in AZ.  My point is, Miami's line was just as bad, lost key pieces, and didn't do enough to improve - our situation last year.

If Cowherd is expecting Rosen to, ahem, FLOWER in Miami and take them to the playoffs, his expectations need legs.

This pretty much comes down  to how the QBs perform. If Allen is the best QB in the AFCE this year, the Bills win the division. If he is the second best QB in the division, they will be a wild card team. If he is the third best QB in the division, they miss the playoffs.  

We don't have the best oline, the best WRs or the best RBs in the division.  We are competitive for best defense.

Aside from QB play the teams in the division match up decently with each other.  Other than BB,  the coaches have not distinguished themselves from one another. (People get confused that because McDermott is better than Rex, that he must be out coaching the competition too. We play games like setting the expected value at 0 wins, so we can be astonished by a 6-10 finish). 

I personally think that at theis point today, Allen is going to out perform 43 year old Tom Brady and be the best QB in the division. But 2020 might be too soon. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like him too, but he's just one piece and some stopgaps to fill 2-3 holes. 

If they start Fitz, he has the decision making and quick release to get the most out of a line.

But Rosen struggled badly in AZ.  My point is, Miami's line was just as bad, lost key pieces, and didn't do enough to improve - our situation last year.

If Cowherd is expecting Rosen to, ahem, FLOWER in Miami and take them to the playoffs, his expectations need legs.

If they can figure something out at center I think they will be okay. We saw here in Buffalo that if you are good LT through C then you can be passable even if the right side has issues. 

20 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I stand corrected.  

It was starting RT Ja'Wuan James who left in free agency to Denver. Along with starting LG Ted Larsen who signed with Chicago. They also have a band-aid at center but they could pencil in 3rd pick Michael Deiter for that position or perhaps LG. 

Still, I think the Dolphins roster stinks and their super bowl odds are at +27500. Which is last in the NFL. 

I also think that many around the league are underestimating how well Buffalo did in free agency and the draft. The Bills already had the #1 pass defense in 2018 and they signed EJ Gains. Now I have to wonder who the starting CB is opposite Tre White. Is it Levi Wallace? Is it EJ Gains? Is it Kevin Johnson? Decisions, decisions! 

Yeah the secondary should continue to be the strength of the team.   Wallace should have gotten bigger and stronger.   Gaines is pretty brittle but is very efficient in the McD system.   Hopefully Ryan Lewis steps up.    If the Kevin Johnson signing turns out that will be surprise.   He isn't just injury prone but after a solid rookie season he has graded out as one of the worst QB's in the league when he has played.   But the secondary positions with the Bills require more cerebral and instinctive/competitive players than they do dynamic matchup athletes so maybe Johnson looks like a different player here.    The secondary is probably the one area of the team where they should be able to continue to fill with useful talent if there are injuries.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the secondary should continue to be the strength of the team.   Wallace should have gotten bigger and stronger.   Gaines is pretty brittle but is very efficient in the McD system.   Hopefully Ryan Lewis steps up.    If the Kevin Johnson signing turns out that will be surprise.   He isn't just injury prone but after a solid rookie season he has graded out as one of the worst QB's in the league when he has played.   But the secondary positions with the Bills require more cerebral and instinctive/competitive players than they do dynamic matchup athletes so maybe Johnson looks like a different player here.    The secondary is probably the one area of the team where they should be able to continue to fill with useful talent if there are injuries.  

Johnson is the classic low cost high reward guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Unless you have no QB or a roster completely devoid of talent, there's no such thing as 'miles away' in the NFL.

I think the context has something do with being in the same division with the defending super bowl champion who has also won the division something  like 15 years in a row. 

14 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I think the context has something do with being in the same division with the defending super bowl champion who has also won the division something  like 15 years in a row. 

Could be.....but then that's saying we're 'miles away' from Brady's decline which means the Bills, Jets and Fish are all still miles away (true in Miami's case), which means it's just about Brady and makes the whole exercise of analyzing the Bills pointless.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...not much to see here....Cowherd=Florio= two bloviating,. pompous " know it alls"......meh......

Florio is actually high on the Bill's and Allen.  It's very simple, the media heads who pushed back against Allen are low in the Bill's.  Those that like Alen think Buffalo is on the rise.

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Cowherd was initially VERY anti josh Allen then changed his tune 

Once Baker punked him, Cowherd had to move the other QB's up a notch. He's a relatively interesting big picture guy, but short on details. These talking heads are fans who happen to have a decent look/voice. Definitely want to take everything "they" say with a grain of salt.

If you want detailed Bills discussion or take, you're not gonna get it from a national pundit.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/3/2019 at 7:28 AM, HOUSE said:
he and his sister were raised mainly by their mother.[4]Cowherd described himself as a loner during his childhood, spending much time sitting on his roof, listening to baseball games on the radio.

This earlier childhood photo might shed some light on the "miles away" comment.

DkPEGE0XcAAI8Yy.jpg

Edited by Golden Goat

miles away...?

I say year 3 and we should have a real good idea, with this season showing promise.

to hell with cowturd.

GettyImages-1074692184-1260x800.jpg

Blitz newsletter: For Josh Allen, 'It will not be good enough to simply be a flame-throwing quarterback'

Touch and trajectory play a significant role in quarterback development at the NFL level because of man-to-man coverage. Great cover guys play close and on the hip of wide receivers, with the intent of undercutting throws that are too low, and this is where most underdeveloped quarterbacks make their mistakes.

They stubbornly believe the strength of their arm and their velocity will be able to get the football to the receiver before the defender can make the play. This incorrect assumption leads to interceptions.

(Bills QB coach Ken) Dorsey will be in charge of regulating Allen and preaching and developing his anticipatory skills. It will not be good enough to simply be a flame-throwing quarterback.

There were times last season, particularly against good man-to-man cover teams, that defenders were getting under wide receiver routes. This is an area of growth for Allen that might make the most difference and guide the Bills to more points.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Well I'll say this, if he is right, lots of people are gonna be calling for McDermott to be fired 

He isn't and they won't!

Look back to 2017 to a somewhat inferior roster with a running QB... who was afraid to throw over the middle. (That won't happen this year!) That years offense was 31st in passing attempts, 31st in yards passing even with a journeyman QB. 

Aside from last seasons rookie QB who will now get all the starting reps this off season. The Bills added some really good receivers, and O linemen to protect him and run block. The offense should be much improved as well as the defense, special teams...speaking of special teams the 2018 Buffalo Bills were 32nd in the NFL. This season they have no where to go but get better after signing the pro bowl KR/PR from the Jets in Andre Roberts. 

in 2018 the bills fielded the #2 defense in yards and the #1 pass defense. If the run defense improves the Bills should field a very dominant unit, and perhaps even number one overall. This season could be very special for the Bills. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Think you mean CB? 

The season-ending IR in week one from concussion does not looke good, but it's low-risk "prove it" signing for the Bills. 

$400k signing and significant salary in the form of a per-game roster bonus. 

I don't know if that's a new league trend, but the Beaner has structured a couple contracts that way, and for a player who has had several season-ending injuries, it's probably fair to both sides.  He gets a decent guaranteed salary if he's on the team week 1, so he gets some protection for injury or from being cut, but the team can part ways if he doesn't look good in camp.  He has a shot to earn a lot more money if he plays every game.

Beane did something similar with John Brown who as we know has sickle cell trait and has had a couple of injury plagued seasons.