“Still Miles Away” -Colin Cowherd

I think we finish ahead of Miami, but the Jets did a LOT to improve -- even more than us. Also, long term, I think Darnold will be a much better QB than Allen. I think 7 or 8 wins and 3rd in the AFCE is where we finish in 2019.

Edited by GreggTX

June is the second longest month for a football fan.

I guess we should prepare ourselves for a post on June 3rd telling us some media person will tell us how bad the Bills will be.

I can't wait.

12 hours ago, colin said:

to me, Rosen sucks.  he's physically weak and has attitude problems on top of that.  he was developed really early in his life as a QB, so he is skilled, but i don't think he will deliver the goods.

i do suspect, assuming miami put some talent around him, that early in the season he may play a couple good games, but when the cold comes and he gets worn down over a season, he will fold.

I can't say that I disagree - I really don't like Rosen - but AZ was a hot mess.  I know it's been said a million times here, but you can never really know how good/bad a player is when they have a poor supporting cast.  He sucked with a crappy offensive cast in AZ.  So, the question I have is whether or not Miami's o-line and skill positions are substantially better than AZ.  If yes, then maybe Rosen will actually play better.  If not, then there's absolutely no reason to expect that he will suddenly play well enough in Miami to carry them to a WC (i.e. he still will suck).

...that said,  I do hope that the dolphins go down in huge (figurative) fireball.

Edited by nikuman
clarification

5 minutes ago, nikuman said:

I can't say that I disagree - I really don't like Rosen - but AZ was a hot mess.  I know it's been said a million times here, but you can never really know how good/bad a player is when they have a poor supporting cast.  He sucked with a crappy offensive cast in AZ.  So, the question I have is whether or not Miami's o-line and skill positions are substantially better than AZ.  If yes, then maybe Rosen will actually play better.  If not, then there's absolutely no reason to expect that he will suddenly play well enough in Miami to carry them to a WC (i.e. he still will suck).

So there’s no chance Rosen will get better from year 1 to year 2?  Isn’t that a pretty common thing?

4 hours ago, FLFan said:

I have never had any respect for Colin Cowherd and this lame opinion certainly changes nothing.  Not even worth arguing. 

This^ I’ve never been some homer who gets upset when the media disses the team. There is some truth to the fact they still have much to prove. He’s just an instigator who makes his career kissing up to big market sports. He loves dissing small markets and dismisses all their fans as backward hillbillies or something (although he’s the man with the word cow in his surname). He just likes putting this stuff out there so angry Bills insult him giving him a story that fits his narrative/schtick. 

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

So there’s no chance will get better from year 1 to year 2?  Isn’t that a pretty common thing?

Let's hope!

I'll give Cowherd credit for digging enough to mention the 7 blowouts. That's more than you'll hear from the average talking head.

Edited by LSHMEAB

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Let's hope!

I'll give Cowherd credit for digging enough to mention the 7 blowouts. That's more than you'll hear from the average talking head.

Except I’m not sure there were really 7 blowouts. I know that it happened far too often, but I don’t think 7 times is entirely accurate tbh. I guess it depends on your definition of “blowout”. 

Edited by SirAndrew

10 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Except I’m not sure there were really 7 blowouts. I know that it happened far too often, but I don’t think 7 times is entirely accurate tbh. I guess it depends on your definition of “blowout”. 

True. Blowout is subjective. There were 5 games in which we were absolutely dominated. 

It's only 7 if you include the Chargers (31-20) and Pats Road(24-12). The score doesn't scream blowout, but we were never in those games. 

What I love about McDermott as a coach thus far is that he's found a way to win more close games than he loses. That's big in this league. The blowouts, however, are a legitimate concern. 

We didn't see many of them in 2017, so the hope is that with an improved roster, we won't see many of them in 2019. If we do, there's a problem.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

True. Blowout is subjective. There were 5 games in which we were absolutely dominated. 

It's only 7 if you include the Chargers (31-20) and Pats Road(24-12). The score doesn't scream blowout, but we were never in those games. 

What I love about McDermott as a coach thus far is that he's found a way to win more close games than he loses. That's big in this league. The blowouts, however, are a legitimate concern. 

I was also concerned with the blowouts losses last season. After having the off-season to reflect I’m far less worried. Two of the blowout losses were Nathan Peterman starts, and an additional two were Derek Anderson starts (if you even consider the MNF home loss to the Pats a true blowout, as we were in it until quite late in the game). The shutout in Green Bay was quite early in Allen’s season as well. If this happens again, I’ll be very worried.

I think it’s important to put those blowout losses in context. That’s something talking heads such as Cowherd never do when they have a narrative to sell. He’s always been a big numbers guy, but frequently neglects the intricacies of sports that can’t be measured with numbers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I was also concerned with the blowouts losses last season. After having the off-season to reflect I’m far less worried. Two of the blowout losses were Nathan Peterman starts, and an additional two were Derek Anderson starts (if you even consider the MNF home loss to the Pats a true blowout, as we were in it until quite late in the game). The shutout in Green Bay was quite early in Allen’s season as well. If this happens again, I’ll be very worried.

I think it’s important to put those blowout losses in context. That’s something talking heads such as Cowherd never do when they have a narrative to sell. He’s always been a big numbers guy, but frequently neglects the intricacies of sports that can’t be measured with numbers. 

The Bears and Colts debacles are performances I'd never like to see again. One was DA and one was NP, so I get the disclaimer. Still, we seemed woefully unprepared. The alternative explanation is that it's difficult to motivate a team when they have zero confidence in the QB.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It's pretty simple in that those who hated Allen pre draft will still think he sucks pointing to the stats.  Those that liked him were encouraged with his performance at the end of the year and his rushing ability.  The season predictions this year will mirror that. 

14 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Yep, a guy who is thought of so highly that they barely got a 2nd round pick for him.

The Cardinals spent a 1st, 3rd and 5th to pick Rosen.  A year later, they got a 2nd rounder for him.  And tiny Kyler Murray. And crappy college HC/Bro's Bro Kliff Kingsbury.

Good point.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He's right about the blowout losses being a concern. The defense especially against the run collapses for long periods of time. The defensive ranking last year is a mirage. The defense did not pressure the QB and turnovers were down. The pass rush needs to get much better and the offense needs to stay on the field longer.

I have no idea what he is talking about with the young QB do better with offensive minded HCs. 

Manning x 2, Brady, Cam Newton, Luck, Lamar Jackson, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger and hell even the likes of Andy Dalton, Carr, and Bridgewater all started their careers with defensive minded head coaches. LA , Dallas, and Philadelphia are recent examples of offensive minded coaches having success with young QBs.

Rosen is better than this board thinks and was a great move by Miami. The rest of Miami's roster is a dumpster fire. They will struggle to get to 3-13.

Brady had stretches last year where he looked his age and with Gronk gone the offense will be different.  

Right, the only important defensive stat is points allowed.  The Bills were right in the middle as the 15th worst in points allowed with 374 pts , an average of 23.4 pts per game.  Yes, the offense was responsible for 35 of those pts with 5 turnovers resulting in TDs (4 by INT, the other a fumble) but that would’ve only moved them up a couple of spots based on only points given up by the defense. 

With how pathetic the offense was for most of the season, it was just as much responsible for the 6-10 record.