“Still Miles Away” -Colin Cowherd

5 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

What he also fails to see is that the worst WR on the team who only caught 37% of his passes is gone. The new Bills slot WR is Cole Beasley who caught 74% of targets in Dallas last year and should resemble a Bills fan favorite in WR Andre Reed. Just what Josh Allen needed besides adding deep WR John Brown to compliment Robert Foster and the CFL's leading receiver in Duke Johnson. 

While many of your points are fair you have to go back and read this and think that you may be failing to realize some of your own biases, right?

The 3rd WR in Dallas resembles Andre reed?

and yea, the foster - Allen connection has potential to look like Big Ben to Antonio brown.... or like JP losman to a udfa. 

Odds are we hit on some of these guys and miss wildly on some. And that’s why I think it’s important to push chips in now when we can and over collect talent still.

• Like (+1) 2

Pats of course should be strongly favoured to rule the Division yet again. But I think the Bills have a decent chance of ranking second and seriously competing for a playoff spot as a WC. Jets should have a good D, but so should we. All things considered we have about the same weapons on offence than they do and we are well ahead of them in fixing the O-line - what both teams need to help their young QBs. Why he thinks the Finns are going anywhere but the cellar this year is a mystery to me. Rosen is not any better off there than he was in Arizona.

4 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Pats of course should be strongly favoured to rule the Division yet again. But I think the Bills have a decent chance of ranking second and seriously competing for a playoff spot as a WC. Jets should have a good D, but so should we. All things considered we have about the same weapons on offence than they do and we are well ahead of them in fixing the O-line - what both teams need to help their young QBs. Why he thinks the Finns are going anywhere but the cellar this year is a mystery to me. Rosen is not any better off there than he was in Arizona.

Bills should be picked ahead of the Jets because of Gase, if for no other reason.  

• Like (+1) 2

I think the blowout losses over the past two seasons can be attributed to two things -- putrid offense and lots of turnovers.  There have been two 3-game blowout streaks in the middle of each of the last two seasons -- Jets/Saints/Chargers in 2017 and Colts/Pats***/Bears in 2018.  During those six games the Bills turned the ball over 21 times and turned their opponents over once.  Read that again -- TWENTY-ONE to ONE.  That's just brutal.

With the influx of talent at the OL, WR, and TE positions, and with this being Josh's 2nd year in Daboll's system, I don't expect to see that sort of streak again.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

Cowherd is a lifelong west coast guy, grew up, went to school, and lives out there. Or are you just here to drop MAGAt turds in the punch bowl? So edgy. 

No agenda on my part .  

I never said Cowturd is an east Coast guy - made his name at ESPN which is east Coast based btw - funny he works for Fox now.  He is just a talking head who follows big city teams only.  Would bet my house he couldn't name 12 current Buffalo Bills - so don't care what he thinks.  Usually wrong anyways.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I think the blowout losses over the past two seasons can be attributed to two things -- putrid offense and lots of turnovers.  There have been two 3-game blowout streaks in the middle of each of the last two seasons -- Jets/Saints/Chargers in 2017 and Colts/Pats***/Bears in 2018.  During those six games the Bills turned the ball over 21 times and turned their opponents over once.  Read that again -- TWENTY-ONE to ONE.  That's just brutal.

With the influx of talent at the OL, WR, and TE positions, and with this being Josh's 2nd year in Daboll's system, I don't expect to see that sort of streak again.

Excellent. To this point, whether it’s on Sean or not, there isn’t a recognized commitment to turnovers/ taking the ball away on Defense. We were very good the previous year, which saved crucial wins, but among the League worst last season. When there’s a spoken commitment and expressed desire to get turnovers, they seem to happen. At least moreso than we witnessed last season. Nothing can turn a team around faster than a big T/O Plus ratio.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

You are the one who said 11 or 12 point losses shouldn’t count as blowouts.  I simply pointed to the Charger game as an example of an 11-point loss that was utterly non-competitive.

We have been outscored by 162 points in the last 2 years. 

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

No agenda on my part .  

I never said Cowturd is an east Coast guy - made his name at ESPN which is east Coast based btw - funny he works for Fox now.  He is just a talking head who follows big city teams only.  Would bet my house he couldn't name 12 current Buffalo Bills - so don't care what he thinks.  Usually wrong anyways.

What about Pittsburgh and GB? Again, I hate Cowherd but it is more about how good a team is.  How much do you want to hear about Charlotte Hornets, Arizona Coyotes, or TB Bucs?  

• Sad 1

Zero blowout losses in the last seven games of the season, unless you count a 12 point loss on the road to the Super Bowl Champs in which we were within a single score into the middle of the 3rd quarter.  +40 scoring differential during those final 7 games.  And we have significantly upgraded our biggest areas of need in the offseason.  We are quietly on the upswing and have all the makings of a "surprise team" in 2019.

Also, Cowherd is an idiot, highly insecure and is likely packing a micropeen. 

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sees us as last in the Division. Obviously, he has many critics, but I’ve always liked him and he makes points.

*Alarming 7 Blowout loses

*Young QBs do better with Offensive HC

*Fish go from 7-9 pretenders to WC consideration w/Rosen

*Pats* great Draft

*Jets did much to improve 

I’m good with this analysis as we all (AFCE) play a comparatively favorable schedule and no Bills fans really know what we have or who we are yet. We’re putting a lot of stock and hope that all the pieces will fit nicely very quickly. If not, and it’s unreasonable to expect it, we’re going to lose games we likely should and could have won, while learning ‘who we are’.

I still think 10 wins is possible, but it’ll take at least 3 Division wins to accomplish.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/buffalo-bills-still-miles-away-from-competing-in-afc-says-colin-cowherd.html

Cowherd is the Nancy Grace of sports broadcasting.  

Need proof...he had the Fins at 7-9 before Rosen.  

More proof...he has the Fins as a playoff contender with Rosen who was among the worst starters in football last year not named Nathan Peterman because the roster sucked.  Miami's roster is actually even worse.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Excellent. To this point, whether it’s on Sean or not, there isn’t a recognized commitment to turnovers/ taking the ball away on Defense. We were very good the previous year, which saved crucial wins, but among the League worst last season. When there’s a spoken commitment and expressed desire to get turnovers, they seem to happen. At least moreso than we witnessed last season. Nothing can turn a team around faster than a big T/O Plus ratio.

Very good point Chandler#81!  I see Oliver, Vosean Joseph and even Jaquan Johnson as disruptors who will force TOs routinely.  Granted only Oliver will start but Johnson and Joseph may be TO forcers on STs to start as both are big hitters.  Could see Joseph getting SAM LB reps if Lorenzo needs a blow or sustains injury.

Forced Fumbles / Interceptions / Sacks in college

Oliver 5 FF in 3 years.  0 INTs.  13.5 sks

Joseph 1 FF in 3 years.  Also 1 INT.  4 sks.

Johnson 6 FF in 4 years.  Also 8 INTs.  2.5 sks

• Like (+1) 1

Over his entire career of blabbing and blithering away, there is only ONE point on any subject that I like from Colin Cowherd. I wont get too into it, but it's regarding the people who call into sports radio and the type of people they are.

Other than that, he can suck a fart directly from my butt.

He HATES the Bills. He HATES small market teams. He will ALWAYS trash the Bills. His take outlined in the OP is pathetically predictable. I've stopped listening to his opinion on Football, and basically everything else, years ago.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I don't agree with him on the Fins, but he's spot on with the Jets. Does it really matter if we finish 3/4 or 4/4? Several of the teams on the rise (Jets, Browns, Jags, Chargers) have gotten better. It's going to be a very uphill battle for us to compete this year. Outside of the Dolphins, there isn't a team we should be counting on being stronger than (on paper) in the whole conference. The Raiders, Titans, Bengals, Ravens, Broncos, and maybe even the Steelers could end up being weak teams this year, but the AFC in general should have a pretty low floor. We should be a more talented team than last year, but I think we're less improved than a lot of other squads.

This seems to be what most of the posters here ignore.  The Bills aren't the only team that improved -- and some of those teams that got better were already better than the Bills last season.  I see a lot of posters on TSW snickering at predictions that the Browns may make the playoffs this season, but they obviously haven't looked at the Browns' roster recently.  If Freddie Kitchens can manage the personalities Dorsey's acquired for him, barring significant injuries, that team is going to be an offensive powerhouse with an improved defense.  It's entirely possible that if Mayfield had started from Opening Day that the Browns would have had 9 wins and maybe a playoff berth.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

That was only outside perception though. I never thought the Bills were tanking, personally. I bet most Dolphins fans and others who follow their team closely do think that they are tanking.

That's nonsense.  TSW had a new thread just about every day on some variation of the theme that the Bills were tanking in 2017.  It was even discussed numerous times in the Buffalo sports media.

Edited by SoTier

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This seems to be what most of the posters here ignore.  The Bills aren't the only team that improved -- and some of those teams that got better were already better than the Bills last season.  I see a lot of posters on TSW snickering at predictions that the Browns may make the playoffs this season, but they obviously haven't looked at the Browns' roster recently.  If Freddie Kitchens can manage the personalities Dorsey's acquired for him, barring significant injuries, that team is going to be an offensive powerhouse with an improved defense.  It's entirely possible that if Mayfield had started from Opening Day that the Browns would have had 9 wins and maybe a playoff berth.

Right now, I think the Browns have to be the favorite to win the North. They've massively improved an already rising team, while everyone in their division got worse or stayed the same. Unless Lamar Jackson figured out how to throw a football over the offseason, they have as good a shot as any of them.

39 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

While many of your points are fair you have to go back and read this and think that you may be failing to realize some of your own biases, right?

The 3rd WR in Dallas resembles Andre reed?

and yea, the foster - Allen connection has potential to look like Big Ben to Antonio brown.... or like JP losman to a udfa. 

Odds are we hit on some of these guys and miss wildly on some. And that’s why I think it’s important to push chips in now when we can and over collect talent still.

While I agree that it might sound homerish. When I said resembles Andre Reed, I meant that Cole Beasley should be fearless in catching everything thrown his way over the middle which is something the Bills solely missed last season. 

What the Bills had last season was Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin who missed on an alarming 85 targets between them! Benjamin had a 37% catch percentage. He didn't even try more then half the time. 

Beasley might have been 3rd on the Dallas depth chart but he was 2nd in receptions just behind Ezekiel Elliott with 65 receptions to 77 and Cole had more yards with 672 to 576.  Beasley also had a 74.7 catch percentage which is on par with most RBs catching shorter passes. The Bills needed a first down pass catcher and it looks like he should do a fine job in that respect. 

Now think back to the K gun, no huddle offense with Loften, Beebe running deep routes that opened up the middle of the field for Reed. Then think about John Brown, Robert Foster running deep routes and opening up the middle of the field for Beasley. And that should also the run game with two TEs, three WRs in and out of the shotgun as defenses won't know where the ball is going. DC's crapping themselves the first time Foster, Brown catch a TD bomb! 

This year the Bills should field a very exciting offense. Just the way I see it. 

7 hours ago, zonabb said:

I have a theory about the national media and guys like this turd, who I haven't heard in years. Not an enlightening one or even a leap but many that continually beat up on the Bills, and it's well-deserved, recognize that these hot takes are click and view bait because this market is tuned into the media, regularly pulls high ratings for viewership and is highly engaged so it's one way to get attention. So glowing supports the bigger markets but has a hot take on the Bills and basically covers all his bases. 

Has he even been positive on the Bills? Honest question.

I agree with all of this...hate Colin Cowherd so much..he actually drove me away from sports talk radio. But all that said, at the end of the day, are any of them really wrong?  We get mad because the national media guys don't know our teams like we know our teams....they don't seem as aware of the potential of all the great moves our GM made in the off-season...then at the end of the year, we win between 6-9 games, and, well..we suck. We gotta stop sucking..

Edited by Buftex
  • Sad 1

until you win.....you get no respect. i could care less what cowherd thinks

to me, the bills will be better. but not by much...i say 8 wins.

still a lack of talent....ZERO bills made the pro bowl last season.

how many bills on Offense with make the Pro Bowl this season ?....probably NONE !!

how many on defense ?...maybe ONE !! (a DB)

our depth has improved considerably, which will show in special teams. we upgraded several starting positions, but no impact players (maybe center).

Ed Oliver replacing superstar Kyle Williams is at best a wash....not an upgrade. the key to this season will be all about the O-line, which "should" be much better.

still going to be fun to watch. i say 2020 we start to be a regular playoff team.

• Like (+1) 1