“Still Miles Away” -Colin Cowherd

12 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, after I typed that I knew it would come across the wrong way, lol.  I just mean they aren't blowing people out left and right.  It's amazing the run they are on, but I never get the sense they just roll over other teams.

They don’t, as a rule. They just WIN. I think the biggest aspect of Belichek rarely addressed is how well -and DIFFERENT they play in the 4th quarter. Their roster rarely if ever is loaded. What they do that’s so much different than any other club is have planned changes for the 4th quarter. Their opponent film study shows up early in the games and maintains their specific strategy through 3 quarters, lulling the opponent into believing they’ve been figured out. THEN, they change up aspects they’ve seen being bought into by the opponent on both sides of the ball. Blitz on 2nd down when they haven’t done it at all. Draw plays on 1st Down, showing repetitive passing formations they threw from prior. Backing out DL into zone when they rushed every play prior. This is rarely ever talked about and it’s not always evident, but it always happens and they win close game after close game. I hate it, but he’s a genius.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Thats no surprise. He looks like a guy mostly concerned with appearances. Doesn’t mean he knows anything special. 

I ran several marathons in "respectable" times...3:30 -3:45, but people would say: "Well, did you run Boston?" I suppose finishing was winning. 

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sees us as last in the Division. Obviously, he has many critics, but I’ve always liked him and he makes points.

*Alarming 7 Blowout loses

*Young QBs do better with Offensive HC

*Fish go from 7-9 pretenders to WC consideration w/Rosen

*Pats* great Draft

*Jets did much to improve 

I’m good with this analysis as we all (AFCE) play a comparatively favorable schedule and no Bills fans really know what we have or who we are yet. We’re putting a lot of stock and hope that all the pieces will fit nicely very quickly. If not, and it’s unreasonable to expect it, we’re going to lose games we likely should and could have won, while learning ‘who we are’.

I still think 10 wins is possible, but it’ll take at least 3 Division wins to accomplish.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/buffalo-bills-still-miles-away-from-competing-in-afc-says-colin-cowherd.html

I wonder where he pulled that young QBs do poorly with defensive-minded head coaches.

I think it may be just the opposite. Defensive-minded head coaches ask less from their QBs and often look for run-heavy ball control efforts, long drives that eat clock, and no turnovers.

Whereas the so-called offensive gurus can ruin a young QB with a foot thick playbook and asking too much too soon.

Subjective at best based on the coordinators and position coaches for each team. Matt Patricia seemed to do pretty well with Mahomes...

He has Rosen flourishing under Miami's new defensive-minded head coach, yet has Allen doomed to fail because we have a head coach with a defensive coaching background.

More holes than Swiss cheese in this bent assessment. I'm going with classic Bills hater here.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

They don’t, as a rule. They just WIN. I think the biggest aspect of Belichek rarely addressed is how well -and DIFFERENT they play in the 4th quarter. Their roster rarely if ever is loaded. What they do that’s so much different than any other club is have planned changes for the 4th quarter. Their opponent film study shows up early in the games and maintains their specific strategy through 3 quarters, lulling the opponent into believing they’ve been figured out. THEN, they change up aspects they’ve seen being bought into by the opponent on both sides of the ball. Blitz on 2nd down when they haven’t done it at all. Draw plays on 1st Down, showing repetitive passing formations they threw from prior. Backing out DL into zone when they rushed every play prior. This is rarely ever talked about and it’s not always evident, but it always happens and they win close game after close game. I hate it, but he’s a genius.

Yes, Belichick is a master at changing tendencies not from week to week but from series to series, or even play to play.  You'd think other coaches would have learned by now...

• Thank you (+1) 1

Very skeptical about some of his points.  First of all the blow out losses were with Peterman and Anderson as QBs.  I also think it’s way too soon to say the Pats had a great draft.  As for the Dolphins, that is a major assumption and there is no more reason to believe Rosen will make them a playoff contender than there is to believe Allen will make us one in his 2nd season.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a theory, but it's really out there:

Maybe he doesn't think the Bills are going to win a lot of games this year.

I know it sounds nutty, but it could be true. He may think an overhauled offense with a lot of new starters might take a minute to come together, and that we still don't really know how Josh Allen will progress in year 2.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I know it sounds nutty, but it could be true. He may think an overhauled offense with a lot of new starters might take a minute to come together, and that we still don't really know how Josh Allen will progress in year 2.

fair enough.... now go ahead and try and explain away rosen and the fins making the wildcard.

lets not act like the dude is using common sense. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

And Miami and the Jets are so much farther along?

And I have mentioned before the toll playing QB takes on a body. I count each year a dude plays QB in the NFL like dog years. That makes Brady something like 300 years old.

Not very scientific I know, but the Pats are vulnerable this year. I would avoid firm prognostication when it comes to the AFC East this year.

2 hours ago, 4thandGoal said:

The credibility of his words is shot when he states that Fins are WC conterders. The Rosen statue will crumble behind that O-Line!!

I think he meant the Fins are going out to the WC.  I think it is an old english term.

2 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

Here's all you need to know in order to understand Colin Cowherd's football opinions:

NYC: #1 metro area in population

Miami: #7 metro area in population

Boston: #10 metro area in population

Buffalo: #50 metro area in population

He has openly expressed his disdain for blue collar people and small cities and feels that the NFL would be a better league if the Buffalo Bills had moved to Toronto.

Metro population isn’t a true indicator, even though he may be using it as a basis.

Our market extends to Rochester, and most notably Toronto, which would make the Bills top 3 at minimum.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sees us as last in the Division. Obviously, he has many critics, but I’ve always liked him and he makes points.

*Alarming 7 Blowout loses

*Young QBs do better with Offensive HC

*Fish go from 7-9 pretenders to WC consideration w/Rosen

*Pats* great Draft

*Jets did much to improve 

I’m good with this analysis as we all (AFCE) play a comparatively favorable schedule and no Bills fans really know what we have or who we are yet. We’re putting a lot of stock and hope that all the pieces will fit nicely very quickly. If not, and it’s unreasonable to expect it, we’re going to lose games we likely should and could have won, while learning ‘who we are’.

I still think 10 wins is possible, but it’ll take at least 3 Division wins to accomplish.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/buffalo-bills-still-miles-away-from-competing-in-afc-says-colin-cowherd.html

Well, All Righty Then (to the bolded).  He lost me right there.  Rosen looked bad behind the Cards swiss-cheese OL which gave up 52 sacks.  The Dolphins did less to improve their OL than we did in FA and less in the draft (3rd round G, 6th round T).  Its Swiss Cheesian 52-sack nature may still be present

Agree with you that we acquired a lot of pieces and no one really knows who many of those pieces are in the NFL or how they fit, as of yet.

The Bills were a total of 18 points over 3 games from another 9-7 record.  5 of their "blowout losses" were not started by Allen.

They too, "did much to improve". 

If he's worried about "Blowout Losses", perhaps he should consider that the Jets and Dolphins, also, had blowout losses - I count at least 6 "alarming blowout losses" for the Dolphins, including one to the Bills, one to a team we blew out, and a couple to the same teams that blew us out.  The Jets had at least 6 as well, including one to the Bills and one to a team we blew out.

Eh, it's entertainment.  My favorite Cowherd segment was the one where he interviewed Mayfield, and Mayfield just took him to school.

7 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Metro population isn’t a true indicator, even though he may be using it as a basis.

Our market extends to Rochester, and most notably Toronto, which would make the Bills top 3 at minimum.

If the Bills were a “top 3” nfl market, there wouldn’t be any concerns about selling PSL’s and suites. ?

21 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

fair enough.... now go ahead and try and explain away rosen and the fins making the wildcard.

Yeah, and using terms like "still miles away."  He's a buffoon.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Rosen's entitlement & wokeness will elevate the team.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1