“Still Miles Away” -Colin Cowherd

1 hour ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

Here's all you need to know in order to understand Colin Cowherd's football opinions:

NYC: #1 metro area in population

Miami: #7 metro area in population

Boston: #10 metro area in population

Buffalo: #50 metro area in population

He has openly expressed his disdain for blue collar people and small cities and feels that the NFL would be a better league if the Buffalo Bills had moved to Toronto.

I'm pretty sure this is how many of these pundits decide who they like.

I’m feeling 8-8, but it’s too early to really tell.

Can’t really disagree w the overall assessment in the OP right now, I don’t have confidence that this staff can eke out a couple wins where we “outfox” the opponent. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'm always a little surprised that people still listen to this crap, or watch it on ESPN.  So much better content is available now to all of us, with hosts/journalist/entertainers/ex-atheletes that are rational and grounded in sound thought.  There primary objective isn't to polarize half their listeners.  These entertainment sports networks are all cloaked in a veneer substance.  No different than what is being passed off as news, when it's really just inexpensive opinion content that changes with the wind. 

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes we have. But nobody knows if it’ll work..

For sure. But if we’re talking hypothetically as he is you have to at least say on paper this team should go from the third worst to maybe in the teens with the better wrs and o line. He’s essentially saying everyone else improved but is despite all the new guys who have legit talent.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm optimistic, but until they actually do it, no need to crown their ass (Dennis Green).

Sports analysis, like most internet commentary (whatever the topic) is a lemming stampede. "This post on Facebook has 1000 thumbs up, I should up it too!" If the Bills are ever great again (please God, make this happen) I have no doubt the talking heads will be tripping over each other to talk about how good the Bills are and how they were the ones to call it first (mostly liars).

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sees us as last in the Division. Obviously, he has many critics, but I’ve always liked him and he makes points.

*Alarming 7 Blowout loses

How does he come to this number?  What defines a blowout?

We lost five games by over 20 points.  The Ravens, Chargers, Packers, Colts, Bears.

I'm assuming he's also counting the two Patriot games, which were NOT blowouts by any measure.  The first was very close until the 4th Quarter, when Derek Anderson threw a pick 6 and blew the game.  The other was a 12 point loss.

You will notice that these lopsided losses came in the first half of the season (while the defense was still getting its footing), and mostly with Peterman/Anderson under center.  After the Bye Week, we were .500 and competitive every single week.

*Young QBs do better with Offensive HC

Bull.  This is a recent trend, which can only be traced back 2-3 years.  There are countless examples of QBs who had defensive leaning coaches, and went on to have fantastic careers.  Most notably the old man who has been dominating our division for two decades.

Thanks to Sean McVay, 90% of recent head coaching hires are offensive leaning.  So the trend should be expected.

*Fish go from 7-9 pretenders to WC consideration w/Rosen

But didn't Miami hire a defensive coach in Brian Flores? 

I guess that means Josh Rosen and the Dolphins are screwed too.

*Pats* great Draft

The Patriots would be the team to beat in the AFC East, even if they drafted one guy in the 7th Round and surrounded Brady with XFL castoffs.

This point is totally irrelevant.

*Jets did much to improve 

Agreed.  We improved more and still have a better roster.

I’m good with this analysis as we all (AFCE) play a comparatively favorable schedule and no Bills fans really know what we have or who we are yet. We’re putting a lot of stock and hope that all the pieces will fit nicely very quickly. If not, and it’s unreasonable to expect it, we’re going to lose games we likely should and could have won, while learning ‘who we are’.

I still think 10 wins is possible, but it’ll take at least 3 Division wins to accomplish.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/buffalo-bills-still-miles-away-from-competing-in-afc-says-colin-cowherd.html

Not surprised Cowherd is skeptical.  Most in the media are.  However, I think it's ridiculous to say we are "miles away" from competing. 

And it's insulting to downplay our chances, but simultaneously talk about how great the Jets (who won 4 games last year) and the Dolphins (who were favorites to get the 2019 #1 Pick exactly one week ago) are going to be.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think anything less than 9 wins is a disappointment. Year 3 is the year you need to show a lot of progress as a regime..... but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we finished 3rd or last. 

Way to completely contradict yourself in the space of two sentences.  If "less than 9 wins is a disappointment" how can you "not be surprised" if the Bills finish 3rd or 4th?

You're damaged, Scott.  You need therapy.  :lol:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

Here's all you need to know in order to understand Colin Cowherd's football opinions:

NYC: #1 metro area in population

Miami: #7 metro area in population

Boston: #10 metro area in population

Buffalo: #50 metro area in population

He has openly expressed his disdain for blue collar people and small cities and feels that the NFL would be a better league if the Buffalo Bills had moved to Toronto.

As a resident of the state with the smallest population, most of the national sports media, with the exception of Adam Schein, think if it didn’t happen in Boston, New York, L.A., or the S.E.C...it didn’t happen.  Screw ‘em.  The Buffalo Bills will make the playoffs in 2019...mark it down.

21 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Cowherd isn’t a former NFL player but he runs marathons at 55 years old. He openly admits he trains so he can try and have the mindset of an athlete. I find that impressive, lots of media personalities look like slobs. 

Thats no surprise. He looks like a guy mostly concerned with appearances. Doesn’t mean he knows anything special. 

To counter another of Cowherd's "points" -- only one arguable "blowout" loss occurred during the last seven games of the season (at Pats***).  The other two losses were each by 4 pts.  Three of the blowouts (Ravens, Colts, Bears) occurred with Peterman or Anderson at QB, and another that "looks" like a blowout (Pats*** in Buffalo) was a tight game going into the 4th quarter.  And even the 22-0 game at Green Bay was not a poor showing by the defense.  The offense just didn't find itself until the 2nd half of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't get "upset" at national media projections like this because it is so easy to see that his analysis is not well thought out.  Let's look at the AFCE.

The Fish do not have a good roster -- and Rosen played worse than Allen last year.  Colin's argument that "young QBs play better with an offensive HC" apparently doesn't apply to the Fish I guess, since Flores is their coach?  Lazy.

The Pats*** draft grades are all over the board.  Yes, as long as Belichick and Brady are there (or someone topples them) they are rightfully the favorites, but they are not a "powerhouse" like in some years past and they have holes.

The Jets added flashy pieces (Bell, Moseley) and drafted a very good DT in Williams.  They have improved on paper -- but why is their "paper" worth more than the Bills' "paper?"  Arguably no team in the NFL did as much to improve their roster "on paper" as the Bills did in FA and the draft.  Both the Bills and Jets have 2nd year QBs, and one could argue that the continuity on the Bills' coaching staff is more of a benefit to Allen than "crazy eyes" Gase is to Darnold.

After the Pats*** both the Bills and Jets are logical choices to show improvement.  The Fish are a mess.  If Rosen plays better they could be a .500 team.

I think Cowherd does this, truthfully, to drive social media "outrage" among rabid fan bases like the Bills.

Cowherd really likes Rosen and Darnold though and has been absolutely consistent on that so this shouldn't surprise people. I have heard him say Josh Allen played "pretty well" and "better than I expected" as a rookie though so I don't think he is basing this on Allen so much as on relative strengths of the rest of the Bills roster. While the draft and the Rosen trade does make me pause a little on my expectation of the Dolphins being a disaster zone this year I still think this division is New England with challenges from the Bills and Jets for a wildcard.

Rosen makes the Dolphins better. Those believing he is trash and think Allen is a rising superstar, they had similar stats last year and the Cardinals were one of the worst teams in the league. Just like Allen, time will tell how good they can become, and the big difference was that Rosen was viewed as a bust because of higher expectations while Allen was viewed as great because of the low expectations everyone had outside of Buffalo of his success.

The Dolphins are still a mess and will be last in the division, but they wont be a pushover fighting for one win all season. The Bill's and Jets will be the middle teams with possibly one of them getting a WC birth  but where they end up (2nd or 3rd) could be a toss up, but I think the Bill's have the advantage as they wont be implementing  new system and new coaching. As for the Patriots, until they show otherwise, the AFC East is theirs as of now.

But the Dilphins being a WC team and 2nd in the AFC East? That's alot of dreaming and freak things happening to the rest of the division.......

• Like (+1) 4

Jets and Bills are eerily similar teams in regards to their rebuild.   Both drafted pretty well.  Jets made splashy signings in Bell and Moseley, while the Bills fortified the OL, Secondary and brought in 2 solid WR's aka moves that don't get the attention of simple minded hot take radio hosts.

The Dolphins may have upgraded with Rosen, but they still have the least amount of talent in the division with the lowest ceiling at QB.

Pats are obviously still the Pats until further notice.

All I take from Cowherd's segment is that he looked at box scores and splashy headlines to make an uninformed hot take.  Probably an easy way to look stupid, but there's zero ramifications for these guys being wrong so, whatevs…..

• Like (+1) 2

I listen to Cowherd every so often. He has strong opinions on the QB's taken in the 18' draft, they are ( Baker is a bust and completley undraftable, Josh Allen has a low completion percentage which also makes him a bust, Josh Rosen is going to be a superstar, Lamar Jackson is also a superstar, Sam Darnold is the birth child of Elway and Rodgers.)

Edited by JXCOL3

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sees us as last in the Division. Obviously, he has many critics, but I’ve always liked him and he makes points.

*Alarming 7 Blowout loses

*Young QBs do better with Offensive HC

*Fish go from 7-9 pretenders to WC consideration w/Rosen

*Pats* great Draft

*Jets did much to improve 

The Jets and Fine are media favorites every offseason. So predictable...