Life Hacks

Gugny

11 hours ago, Steve O said:

When it comes to extended warranties, whether it's electronics, automotives, furniture, whatever, the numbers favor of whoever is issuing the warranty. There may be a few times that you wish you had purchased the extended warranty, but over the course of a lifetime, you're better off never purchasing them. For the most part, whatever is going to go wrong will happen within the initial warranty period anyways.

It’s my opinion that the home warranty is the biggest ripoff. We got one when we bought this house. I knew one AC unit was getting up there, so I wanted to adjust the price or make them replace it (about $8k). Lousy realtor talked me into getting the home warranty. I knew better, but gave in. It died almost immediately. They will come out and collect their $200 deductible, charge it up, and wait until you call again in a few days to collect the deductible again. There was no way to make them actually fix or replace. They could never make money if they had to do anything that expensive. One more thing I will never roll over on again.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s my opinion that the home warranty is the biggest ripoff. We got one when we bought this house. I knew one AC unit was getting up there, so I wanted to adjust the price or make them replace it (about $8k). Lousy realtor talked me into getting the home warranty. I knew better, but gave in. It died almost immediate. They will come out and collect their $200 deductible, charge it up, and wait until you call again in a few days to collect the deductible again. There was no way to make them actually fix or replace. They could never make money if they had to do anything that expensive. One more thing I will never roll over on again.  

My mom did this as well.  Got a home warranty, thought she got a great deal, and then gets the runaround every time something happens.  Her AC went out, middle of July here in VA.  Her house got up to 90 degrees inside.  Took over a month, and her ending up replacing it herself.  That company is worthless.

It was also supposed to cover appliances.  Her microwave over the stove went out.  They did give her $180 for a new one, which $180 will buy the bottom of the barrel version, but what about installation?  Lucky for her, I know how to do that kind of work, so I did it.  Otherwise, she would’ve lost money there too.

Home warranties are an absolute joke and you will get nothing but the runaround with them. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Steve O said:

When it comes to extended warranties, whether it's electronics, automotives, furniture, whatever, the numbers favor whoever is issuing the warranty. There may be a few times that you wish you had purchased the extended warranty, but over the course of a lifetime, you're better off never purchasing them. For the most part, whatever is going to go wrong will happen within the initial warranty period anyways.

I love all the letters and phone calls I get, warning me that the factory warranty on my car is about to expire and I should buy an extended warranty.  So wait, you're telling me those factory warranties that expired 5 years ago are about to expire and I need to pay you a bunch of money right away?  Where do I sign up?

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I love all the letters and phone calls I get, warning me that the factory warranty on my car is about to expire and I should buy an extended warranty.  So wait, you're telling me those factory warranties that expired 5 years ago are about to expire and I need to pay you a bunch of money right away?  Where do I sign up?

Years ago I bought a used car and purchased a warranty package for it for something like $800 extra. You had to have oil changes done at certain points at garages that would stamp a card you send to them to verify it was done regularly. Of you didn't have them done at a certain time or didn't send in your card, the warranty would be void. I had issues with the vehicle and took it in to get it looked at expecting to getwhatever wasn't working replaced. Come to find out later on that the warranty would not replace parts unless they were physically broken. If it wasn't physically broken, it wouldn't get replaced.

I don't usually get extended warranties, although I did recently at Best Buy when I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro and they offered a deal to get 3 years coverage at the price of 2.

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't usually get extended warranties, although I did recently at Best Buy when I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro and they offered a deal to get 3 years coverage at the price of 2.

I don't normally either, but last December I bought a 65" 4K Sharp TV. Looking at reviews online I see it's actually made by TCL, and numerous people reporting their TCL units dying after 1 year. So we got the 5 year extended warranty just in case. 

19 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I don't normally either, but last December I bought a 65" 4K Sharp TV. Looking at reviews online I see it's actually made by TCL, and numerous people reporting their TCL units dying after 1 year. So we got the 5 year extended warranty just in case. 

I figured because of the amount I spent on it, and getting the 3rd year free I would go with it

On 5/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't like the taste of the vinegar or the texture of the curdled milk, but obviously it worked for you.

That one's tastes veer far from the ordinary & thinking of him does curdle my stomach.

Here's my life hack:

Got silver something-or-other (money clip, cuff links, tie pin) that's all tarnished when you haul it out for a dress event? 
Rub on a little ordinary toothpaste, let it sit while you brush your teeth, then rub a bit with a damp paper towel, rinse, and buff with a towel or hankie.  Presto!  All shiny! 

& cavity free!

On 5/6/2019 at 2:01 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Noted.

Is there a review process for ill gotten warnings? I don't feel that this one is warranted.  Calling a spade a spade is not against the TOS and @Gugny does sow what he reaps.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Easiest guacamole recipe ever.

>Mash avocados

>Mix with a couple of tablespoons of salsa. (I prefer Pace Picante.)

>Eat.

Good call. I like this one a lot and will try it on Cinco de Mayo.  I have an acquaintance who spends 3 hours making the stuff & that's not for me.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Is there a review process for ill gotten warnings? I don't feel that this one is warranted.  Calling a spade a spade is not against the TOS and @Gugny does sow what he reaps.

Good call. I like this one a lot and will try it on Cinco de Mayo.  I have an acquaintance who spends 3 hours making the stuff & that's not for me.

So either you'll try it 5 days ago or 360 days from now :ph34r:

On 5/4/2019 at 5:12 PM, SinceThe70s said:

In honor of Cinco de Mayo:

Whenever we'd heat up taco shells the one at the front of the line would fold down from the heat so you couldn't get stuff enough taco fixings in it and/or it would break when you tried to add too much.

Now we put a balled up wad of aluminum foil in the lead taco so it holds it's shape.

Also if using hard shells you can used a flipped over muffin tins to "hold them" as you fill them so they don't fall over. Also fill in salsa or or sour cream first as base then chopped olives, meat etc and lettuce last that way all your ingredients stay in the taco.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

We need a metric calendar.

10 days a month. 100 days a year.

To be truly metric....

1 year = 10 months = 100 days = 1000 hours = 10000 minutes = 100000 seconds

On 5/3/2019 at 12:11 AM, Gugny said:

One would think, right!?!?!?  It works.  Trust me; it's all over the interwebs.

I've seen this very recipe for "buttermilk" elsewhere ... and you can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar because "buttermilk" is the fermented by-product of making butter (hence the name).  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2019 at 12:05 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I offering this one from a friend: At supermarkets where they have self check-out you can purchase, oh say, Honeycrisp apples at a deep discount by typing in the code for a much cheaper variety, like McIntosh.

Does your friend also stop at little "self service" farm stands (the kind with a small box for you to leave your payment) and pay for 3 green peppers while taking 4? 

On 5/3/2019 at 5:22 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Spray your snow shovel with Pam so the snow doesn't stick.

This also works on the snowblower chute ... and it's a whole lot cheaper and safer than the products you can buy at the hardware store/home center.

54 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Does your friend also stop at little "self service" farm stands (the kind with a small box for you to leave your payment) and pay for 3 green peppers while taking 4? 

Both are wrong, but this is more so.  However, let’s not forget about Weston/Loblaws in Canada settling charges of high price fixing by handing out $25 gift cards to just about everyone who filed the proper paperwork, since they were price gouging for years.  ‘Let he who is without sin’ and all that good stuff.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013