Trades. Picks. And all the drama. Welcome to the Bills draft room.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:43 PM, Woodman19 said:

I think the Pegulas are excellent owners. They care enough to be there for all the major events and you can tell they have faith in their staff and support them in what they are doing without any interference or hesitation.  The flak they got for inheriting what they did and not rushing for changes when they bought the team was unfounded.

I agree.  The only blunder they made with the Bills was hiring Rex Ryan because of his name and not his HC skills.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I would have traded back to 11. If Oliver is gone then i would have taken Dexter Lawrence, who is also disruptive in the backfield and is a beast.

I like Dexter Lawrence. But he isn't Ed Oliver. I think there is a drop off there. 

• Like (+1) 1

He may not be, but Oliver cant plug the run like Lawrence and we wouldn't have had to trade up for Ford and Dawson.

Oliver is a good run defender and an elite interior pass rusher. Lawrence is a good run plugger. The value between those is totally different. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Oliver is a good run defender and an elite interior pass rusher. Lawrence is a good run plugger. The value between those is totally different. 

Especially on a team that is *DEVOID* of any pass rush !!!!

On 5/7/2019 at 3:32 AM, GunnerBill said:

ive seen Lawrence disrupt the backfield, hes not just some plugger, hes very athletic.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

ive seen Lawrence disrupt the backfield, hes not just some plugger, hes very athletic.

Yea - I am higher on him than a lot of people.... but he isn't a 3 tech and he doesn't have the potential as a penetrator that Oliver has.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea - I am higher on him than a lot of people.... but he isn't a 3 tech and he doesn't have the potential as a penetrator that Oliver has.

True, im not so concerned about having a 3 as i am a studd in the middle. He could be a Ngata. I will take the bigger stud over the smaller stud every time. Im not against Oliver , i hope he is great.

True, im not so concerned about having a 3 as i am a studd in the middle. He could be a Ngata. I will take the bigger stud over the smaller stud every time. Im not against Oliver , i hope he is great.

You do bring up an interesting point. Despite the huge contract to Lotulelei and the 3rd rounder on Phillips, the Bills still don't have a high-end 1-tech. That spot is going to have to be invested in again in a year or two when Star is cut, and we eat some dead cap.

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2019 at 3:06 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Notice how everyone in the room was in a suit and tie.  I'm sure that's not the case in many draft rooms.  I think it's indicative of the culture Beane is building in the organization.  Be professional at all times  There are no short cuts, no causal Fridays.  You are here representing this organization and this city.  We are going to look the part, we are going to act the part, we are going to take care of our business like professionals.

It all starts at the top.  You gotta like it.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned McD wearing the sweater vest that Rex left behind in the office closet.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/8/2019 at 4:54 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Here's where you lose me.  You're basing who you'd take on size and not talent.  Size no longer matters at the defensive tackle spot with the advancement of techniques.  Smaller quicker guys can be more disruptive, Aaron Donald and John Randle say hi.  Bigger guys also tend to lose their quickness much faster in their careers.  Dareus and Haynesworth turned into Jabba the Hutt after they got paid.  Bigger isn't necessarily always better.  They usually take more plays off while smaller guys have the motor to play more snaps with high intensity.  The game is evolving and behemoth defensive tackles aren't a necessity.  Also, a 3 tech is what we were missing after Williams' retirement. 3 techs can absolutely be  the stud in the middle, again, Donald and Randle say hi.  

As for Ngata, I like him a lot but if I have a chance at an Aaron Donald or John Randle in a league that just had a rookie throw for 50 plus tds...I'm taking Donald/Randle.

4 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Here's where you lose me.  You're basing who you'd take on size and not talent.  Size no longer matters at the defensive tackle spot with the advancement of techniques.  Smaller quicker guys can be more disruptive, Aaron Donald and John Randle say hi.  Bigger guys also tend to lose their quickness much faster in their careers.  Dareus and Haynesworth turned into Jabba the Hutt after they got paid.  Bigger isn't necessarily always better.  They usually take more plays off while smaller guys have the motor to play more snaps with high intensity.  The game is evolving and behemoth defensive tackles aren't a necessity.  Also, a 3 tech is what we were missing after Williams' retirement. 3 techs can absolutely be  the stud in the middle, again, Donald and Randle say hi.  

As for Ngata, I like him a lot but if I have a chance at an Aaron Donald or John Randle in a league that just had a rookie throw for 50 plus tds...I'm taking Donald/Randle.

Thats where you're wrong. Lawrence is very talented and huge. Oliver is no Donald as much as we would like him to be.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Thats where you're wrong. Lawrence is very talented and huge. Oliver is no Donald as much as we would like him to be.

You disregarded almost everything I said and replied with you're wrong, he's talented and huge?  26,000 posts and this is your argument haha.  I didn't say Oliver was Donald.  I said he compared to Randle and Donald's quickness which helps him explode into the backfield quickly and blow up any type of play, run or pass.  Lawrence is quick for his size but isn't close to the quickness that Oliver has.  You also disregarded my point about bigger DT's athleticism and quickness tending to fall off earlier in their careers than smaller guys and bigger tackles taking more plays off.  Is Lawrence going to run 40 yards down the field full sprint to make a tackle and then line up for the next snap and give another 100%?  Oliver did that for Houston and I expect him to bring that motor here too.  Oliver is a 3 down lineman and Lawrence is not.  This was one of the Lawrence's main flaws.  

You said how you weren't concerned with a 3 tech, you wanted a stud in the middle.  A 3 tech can be a stud in the middle...didn't address this part either.  Quickness is probably the most coveted attribute for a 3 tech DT to blow by the lineman with no help from the offensive tackle who has to block the DE. Oliver has this in spades.  He's a perfect fit for the scheme. Lawrence fits more on the other side where he would take on mostly double teams.  Still a valuable position but a lesser one.  We have 2 players that are more suited for that position.  

Jordan Phillips is a big athletic DT that we have on the roster already. We lost our 3 tech in Williams...how were you not concerned with that spot?  We are an attacking 4-3 defense, it's one of the most important positions for that scheme.  We want to provide pressure with our front 4 as fast as possible.  Oliver's value in our scheme vs. Lawrence's value in our scheme isn't really that close.  

In a league where QBs are becoming more and more athletic. They want a guy who is going to chase the QB down every second he has the ball.  Relentless pursuit. Lawrence just doesn't fit that description.