Trades. Picks. And all the drama. Welcome to the Bills draft room.

21 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

In the end, we're going to judge Beane on the players he did get.  And rightly so.

But it would be interesting to know all the potential trades he turned down so we can evaluate the opportunity cost.  

Based on some comments he made pre-draft, they do that internally. They save the big board and self scout down the line. I think the Bengals were worried that the Bills were going to take Jonah at 9 as there was so much smoke out there about that, so tried to move up for him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I noticed, didn't think much about it.   But you're right. 

That organization is top down doing it the way it's supposed to be done.   I get the sense that the Pegulas realized, probably after Rex, that they want everything done professionally.   Everything.  And that's what McBeane were selling.  

And now on to my other reactions:

At some point, not in the video but in the quotes from Beane from the Athletic, he said something like when it comes down to football skills and measureables, Beane's going with football skills.  Singletary is a football player, and Beane just wasn't too concerned about his 40 times or anything else.  I thought that was interesting.  We've seen it a lot.  Sills, Sweeney, others in this draft and before.   Beane wants football smarts.  

In his post draft speech, he said they got guys who filled needs.   He was talking particularly, I think, about the first two picks.   Huh?   He's sworn up and down that he's a BPA guy, then he says the Bills filled needs.   I think what he means is that he won't take a guy who isn't at the top of his board just to fill a need.   But when the guy at the top of his board fills a need, he'll trade up to get him.   It happened at the top of the second round and again at the bottom of the third round.  

It's obvious how well prepared they are.   They know what they're doing as the situations arise, not just sitting there with looks of surprise on their faces. 

Beane is so comfortable all the time.   McD too.  Pretty clear that both of them spent years preparing themselves to do these jobs.  They thought about it, studied, even practiced.   Beane's a light year ahead of Whaley, who clearly was learning on the job.   For that matter, McD was better prepared to be a head coach than Rex.   Rex learned from his father, and in those days for a lot of coaches it was just seat of the pants stuff.   No longer. 

I also found it interesting how much McD was just a spectator.  This was Beane's show; McD had input, just like the scouts had input, but once the board was set and the Commish said the 2019 draft was open, it was Beane and Beane alone running the show.  

I'd love to see the stuff we didn't see, the times they expressed disappointment that one guy or another came off the board.   

Great video.  

Shaw - I think the athletic article addresses the BPA versus need from Beane’s perspective.  

I quoted it another thread, but basically they rank by BPA and look for spots where BPA and need line up.  If they match up you might make a trade to get that guy.  If they do not match up - you either take BPA or look to move back and match value with need.

It ends the draft BPA versus need questions and how they handle it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Came back in because I realized... My favorite thing about this video: No Russ Brandon's stupid face lurking about in the war room!

Finally they are allowing the GM to really run the Draft. I like how the Pegulas and McD were there but only as observers.

I think the Pegulas are excellent owners. They care enough to be there for all the major events and you can tell they have faith in their staff and support them in what they are doing without any interference or hesitation.  The flak they got for inheriting what they did and not rushing for changes when they bought the team was unfounded.

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

So, which one of all those people were monitoring our opinions here on TSW?

Hopefully not mine.

After we did not addess TE or Recever at the top of the 3rd I was pissed. Should have stayed up long enough to see them trade back into the 3rd for Knox.

18 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

We didnt agree to 11 and 37 for #9 - tells you how much they wanted Oliver

Saw that in the video, and curious how that would have worked. Cincy had picks 11 and 42. NYG had pick 37. He clearly said 37. Was it a 3 team trade? Did someone mess up (I hope not)?

On 5/3/2019 at 3:53 AM, MAJBobby said:

Hell they could have my phone. Strip search me going in and coming out of the room. I would give anything to be in a war room for an entire draft. 

Probably easier to just leave you stripped down the whole time. 

“Why is there a nude man in the draft room?”

”It’s part of our fan outreach program, don’t worry about it.”

On 5/3/2019 at 12:37 AM, GunnerBill said:

I would love to be a fly on that wall. Beano seemed to have a remarkably similar draft board to me this year as well.... so maybe he should give me a call. 

No he shouldn't.  Clones almost always have defects in them and if they don't usually there have biological limits to their lifespans.   Would hate to lose you.

On 5/3/2019 at 1:04 AM, Mark80 said:

Atmosphere in that room is awesome.  Everyone seems to be on the same page and genuinely excited.

I attended a draft at Bills stadium once with Rich.  Some of the coaches came out after draft and they appeared depressed.   

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, voodoo poonani said:

Saw that in the video, and curious how that would have worked. Cincy had picks 11 and 42. NYG had pick 37. He clearly said 37. Was it a 3 team trade? Did someone mess up (I hope not)?

I seen that too but he was also talking about the Bills giving up their 3rd and the later 4th picks too,  so I'm not sure if it was separate talks with the NYG or

one big trade with 3 teams.  I can't really tell without more dialogue.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:57 PM, Magox said:

Just the way I envisioned he'd be, methodical, organized, detailed with a clear vision.   I wouldn't be surprised if Pegula views Beane as the more indispensable one between he and McD.  

I can see a scenario where McD gets fired if we don't improve in the next 2 years and Beane hires a young offensive minded coach to work with Allen 

On 5/3/2019 at 2:16 PM, GunnerBill said:

They basically dressed more casual as it went. Day 1 suits and ties. Day 2 jacket, chinos, shirt no tie, day 3 zip up top and trainers.

If there was a day 4 to draft the players now obtained as UDFAs like there used to be when draft was many more rounds I wonder what attire they would be wearing?  Of course it is hard to see them being able to draft so many rounds in today's format.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:49 PM, Forward Progress said:

Like many on this board, I appreciate the way Beane runs his team.

I'd like to add that I like the way the Pegula's run their team as well.  They are present, observing but not interfering with the team.  They have hired capable people to run the team, so they enable them to run the team.  I will take this style of ownership over a meddling owner, playing with his Billion Dollar toy any day.

And it is clear that they will help when wanted whether to help in interviewing (which they have done), be somewhere when their added presence adds helps emphasis Bills' interest or fly someone if necessary.

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Shaw - I think the athletic article addresses the BPA versus need from Beane’s perspective.  

I quoted it another thread, but basically they rank by BPA and look for spots where BPA and need line up.  If they match up you might make a trade to get that guy.  If they do not match up - you either take BPA or look to move back and match value with need.

It ends the draft BPA versus need questions and how they handle it.

I think we talked about "prescriptive BPA" here before. 

You don't just pick the best athlete at a random position, you take the best player available on your board who aligns as a good (non-reach) value for that round and pick that also fits either a current or future team need.

Beans also evaluates draft depth at certain positions of team need to see if free agency is a better option prior to creating their board.

I think that is in part why they wanted Morse...not very many quality centers in this draft AND I think they were looking for a proven commodity.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, voodoo poonani said:

Seems like it.  There were rumors that the Giants wanted to trade back and Cincy wanted to trade up before the draft.  So, if the Bengals offered picks 11 and 42 to trade up to #6 that would give the Giants the #11 and #37 picks.  The Giants may have wanted to trade up from #11 to #9 to leapfrog the Broncos who they were afraid might take Daniel Jones and that's why the Bills theoretically could've traded from #9 back two to #11 pick up an extra 2nd rounder in pick 37. 

So......the trade would've been

Bills receive 11 and 37 - 1780 points (JJ draft chart)

Giants receive 9, 74, and 131 -1511 points

Bills would've gotten value there because the Giants were desparate for a QB and they obviouly loved Jones.  The deal fell through obviously for a variety of reasons I can think of for each team involved. 

22 hours ago, voodoo poonani said:

ah didnt realize #37 was the Giants. I think we also were giving up our #74 and a fourth rounder. Likely 3 team trade with Giants moving to 9, and the Bengals moving to 17. But I think it is clear we woulda nixed it  after the Giants  picked at #6 once we realized Oliver was there. It is also possible Gettleman nixed it once he realized Miami was interested in Daniel Jones and might trade up higher than 11. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

On 5/2/2019 at 9:17 PM, YoloinOhio said:

You know what this is missing? The Russ Brandon fist pump. 

image.jpeg.2e352872cbf642f96bc67a5fee903703.jpeg