Trades. Picks. And all the drama. Welcome to the Bills draft room.

13 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

From the draft footage Beane looked really unorganized.

Looked like he didn't have a real plan and was just winging it. LOL

I am seriously starting to think you are a troll

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Q graded out better in PFF but hard to compare as he had 4-5 star players up and  down his DL for the opposing OL to account for unlike Ed.  That said, he played higher level of competition at times (not every week). Ed was a higher ranked recruit (5 star vs 3 star) but Q had zero red flags. 

I look at Q. Williams and I seriously wonder if this is a case that he was playing alongside equally talented draftable players......we made this mistake before with a DT that didnt pan out.

I usually wonder “who did they really want that they just missed on?” I feel a bit less of that this year, and that’s a good thing. But, how did they feel about Montgomery vs Singletary. The TE’s? I wonder what they don’t show you? Who went right before us that we wanted? Who did they not even have on the board? So many questions, but the video was very cool to see. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Here it is -

Then they talk some about about how Beane has traded up 4x and traded down 0x in his 2 drafts here. Beane said it’s more a product of circumstance - being early in the building process. Plus he said in the case of Edmunds and Knox, both were sticking out on his board. 

And this was the last section in the Knox section -

Beane said elsewhere that when he took Singletary, there were still a lot of TE’s on the board. Then right after that pick there was a run on TE’s. He said Knox was the last TE on his board before there was a big drop off in the grades he had on each. He felt Knox would never make it to their pick in the 4th so he traded up. 

He also addressed the Knox pick in his press conference after rounds 2+3. Here it is in case you missed it -

He starts talking about Knox right around the 3:30 mark. 

I hate that I cannot hear the questions during press conferences!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

That's really cool.  Thanks for sharing.

I had no idea they did that with Pancho for the first pick.  That's nothing but goodness, all around.

Well done, Mr Beane.

Edited by Bad Things

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I thought he said "when Detroit was on the clock", Ed was the highest guy on the board. I still feel they may have ranked Q. Williams as Plan 1A. But Ed Oliver likely was Plan 1B. I am not complaining at all. And Ed Oliver does some things way better than Q. WIlliams - His get off / twitch / change of direction / range are all other wordly (Willaims is just merely good), 

He did.  I stand corrected.   Definitely was ranked higher than 9 though.  I think Oliver will be the better pass rusher.  Especially as they get older.

The Colts apparently did a series on the draft.

I found this video on their 1st round.  I may be biased, but I like the Bills video better.  It also seems like Beane's team is a family / brother atmosphere.  Ballard comes across as a prick to me.  For comparative purposes:

Patriots call to Neal:

Patriots call to Winovich:

Wow, what a difference.

Edited by PIZ
  • Like (+1) 3

On 5/2/2019 at 7:07 PM, Logic said:

The look of relief on Beane's face when the Lions pick Hockenson is awesome.

I also wonder what it is about Greg Little that caused the Panthers to prefer him over Cody Ford.

Oh, and I LOL'd when the Bears offered NEXT YEAR'S 4th round pick to move up to our spot in the third round. Get real. Beane's expression said the same.

That was awesome to see, Beane runs a tight ship.

He did say that they had high grades on a few guys at 9, but Ed was the highest grade on their board.

With all the time they spent scouting and interviewing Oliver you know he was the guy they wanted from the opening bell, and they got their guy and did not have to trade away a dime to do it.

I thought Oliver was a top 3 or 4 pick, and when the draft went QB first the chips started to fall our way.

I don't think Hockenson was ever on their radar as I think their plan going in was to address TE in round 4 because it was such a deep class. I still like the kid, but glad we got our guy.

The reason I think they were originally thinking a TE would fall to them in the 4th was how he responded to the run on TE's in the 3rd (Josh Oliver, Jace Sternberger, Kahale Warring) if they were going to get a TE that still had a decent grade on their board they were going to have to move back into the 3rd to do it.

Hard for me to believe that the Bills have such a well-prepared and decisive group running its draft. 

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

With all the time they spent scouting and interviewing Oliver you know he was the guy they wanted from the opening bell, and they got their guy and did not have to trade away a dime to do it.

I thought Oliver was a top 3 or 4 pick, and when the draft went QB first the chips started to fall our way.

I think time will prove that he should have been. Entering 2018, there was talk of him being the #1 overall pick in the coming draft. A somewhat down season (by Oliver's lofty standards) and the "jacket incident" -- not to mention GMs overthinking his lack of size -- led him to fall. Thank goodness! The Bills will be reaping the benefits for years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PIZ said:

The Colts apparently did a series on the draft.

I found this video on their 1st round.  I may be biased, but I like the Bills video better.  It also seems like Beane's team is a family / brother atmosphere.  Ballard comes across as a prick to me.  For comparative purposes:

Wow, what a difference.

Love me some Frank Reich. 

This is great stuff!!!

Clearly Oliver was the guy they were enamored with, but based on the "at that point (Jones pick) we knew we wouldn't trade down" comment, Beane and Co. clearly valued AT LEAST 3 of the remaining guys worthy or more than worthy of the 9th overall pick.

Biggest thing I'm seeing is there was some legit effort to trade up into the 1st for Ford.

Also, those guys like MMA.

9 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

So it isnt just GM speak.  Ed Oliver was the #1 player on their board and if I heard correctly Ford was 20th.

Where does it say that? I mean it is totally believable - I had them #2 and #21. 

10 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Dan Morgan and Joe Schoen will both be gone within the next few years. Great hires.

Certainly think Morgan will. Maybe even as soon as next year if the Bills have a good season. Schoen might last longer because there word on him seems to be great scout but doubts about his ability to lead a department. He was has been a senior personnel guy for 8 or 9 years now without getting too much of a look - not sure he has even had a GM interview anywhere that I have seen. 

They played the draft well - but now it’s all about their player evaluations and whether they were right.  

As for the video - I seem to remember that the Bills rebuilt their media ops and it shows - it’s refreshing to see Brandon and his cronies out of the picture and replaced by a first-class, professional-looking PR/media product.  

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, BabyBills said:

Within the first minute or two of the video, you can see a screen in the background that seems to list team needs.  For the Bills, those were:

DT

DE

TE

RB

OLB

OC (hard to tell)

OT

If this list is in descending order, it shows just how much they must have valued Cody Ford (only the 7th highest positional need taken in the 2nd round) and didn't value players like Chase Winovich (a player at the 2nd highest positional need that was passed over for a player at the 4th highest positional need).

Interesting that WR is glaringly absent.

• Like (+1) 1