Trades. Picks. And all the drama. Welcome to the Bills draft room.

OMG, did you see all those Banquet tables in the War room?

There is at least 25 good jumps there

After the draft we can just stack them all in one pile , go up the stairs for one Big jump

I love the white ones...less bounce more crack

Image result for kramer gif
Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 3

Notice how everyone in the room was in a suit and tie.  I'm sure that's not the case in many draft rooms.  I think it's indicative of the culture Beane is building in the organization.  Be professional at all times  There are no short cuts, no causal Fridays.  You are here representing this organization and this city.  We are going to look the part, we are going to act the part, we are going to take care of our business like professionals.

It all starts at the top.  You gotta like it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Hell they could have my phone. Strip search me going in and coming out of the room. I would give anything to be in a war room for an entire draft. 

You seem a bit eager for that strip search thing.. juss sayin’?

Loved the video. You never know if teams really got the guy they wanted, though publicly they all say that. This shows Oliver, Ford, Singletary, Knox & Sweeney were who they were truly going after. Very cool!

• Haha (+1) 1

I like at the 5 minute mark how scheon has a potential trade lined up and beane just shuts it down because it's for a future pick.  Then it cuts to him in the interview saying "we did consider it".  

5 hours ago, DJB said:

Anyone willing to comb through the video frame by frame to try and see the draft boards? Because there are definitely some clear but quick shots of it. Would be cool to see

Pretty hard to make anything out since it's out of focus. 

Most of the boards showed other teams available picks and point value and even those are are to read. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Kirby's intel yesterday was that he was sticking out there as the BPA on their board.

Exactly.  That is what I was alluding to.  I don't mind when fans have opinions, but when they just make up schitt it annoys me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Exactly.  That is what I was alluding to.  I don't mind when fans have opinions, but when they just make up schitt it annoys me.

Yea Singletary was the one pick this year where Beane and I were out of kilter on our evaluations. I thought they took him a round too early, the Bills board would seem to indicate they could have taken him a round sooner. Other than that the lowest any player was on my board at the point the Bills picked them was Dawson Know who was my #11 BPA at that spot. So I don't exactly agree with their evaluation on Singletary but I think it is clear what their evaluation was. He was sticking out as their BPA and they stuck to their board.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Singletary was the one pick this year where Beane and I were out of kilter on our evaluations. I thought they took him a round too early, the Bills board would seem to indicate they could have taken him a round sooner. Other than that the lowest any player was on my board at the point the Bills picked them was Dawson Know who was my #11 BPA at that spot. So I don't exactly agree with their evaluation on Singletary but I think it is clear what their evaluation was. He was sticking out as their BPA and they stuck to their board.

Yup.  It irks me that BBFS creeps into the thinking by some that the video we saw was "doctored" so we didn't see the Bills "miss out" on who they really wanted at RB.  So silly.

If Singletary turns into our Shady replacement by next year everyone will be thrilled.

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

.....who knows what would have happened between 9 and 11.

My sources tell me the correct answer is 10.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, eball said:

Yup.  It irks me that BBFS creeps into the thinking by some that the video we saw was "doctored" so we didn't see the Bills "miss out" on who they really wanted at RB.  So silly.

If Singletary turns into our Shady replacement by next year everyone will be thrilled.

I mean I am sure the Bills didn't get every player they were targeting in this draft... I suspect they "missed out" on TEs who they had graded higher than Knox for example and the move up was predicated on him being the last of the guys who could realistically come in and contribute in any sort of meaningful way as a rookie. But short of televising our draft room for the whole draft, which would clearly be ludicrous, I don't know how they choose to focus on the guys they didn't get. The focus was largely on the guys they did get. The video did show them trying, and failing, to get back up into round 1 on Thursday night and it showed them trying and failing to get up before Carolina did on Friday and it showed a trade offer from Chicago that they knocked back. I don't think it came across as doctored but of course every team misses out on guys it wants in the draft.... if you showed every one of those you would be televising the whole thing.

9 hours ago, Estro said:

I think there's a reason we didn't see any of that.  Just my feeling, but I think Henderson and or Montgomery both of whom went just picks before the Bills would've been the guy if they were still there.  I like the both of them much more than Singletary.  

Not sure about Henderson,  but I definitely do not think they would have taken Montgomery over Singletary. They didn’t scout him live once. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

You seem a bit eager for that strip search thing.. juss sayin’?

Loved the video. You never know if teams really got the guy they wanted, though publicly they all say that. This shows Oliver, Ford, Singletary, Knox & Sweeney were who they were truly going after. Very cool!

Sure maybe Kim or the daughters could help with that search. In all serious I would love to be inside that room more than anywhere else I can think of that has to do with Football or any sport for that matter. 

Awesome video. And If you are Oliver or Ford it must be pretty cool to see how excited they were to get you. They tell you they were excited and obviously they take you, but seeing it must be special on another level. Even for Knox he sees how they specifically targeted him to get their guy. 

• Like (+1) 5

One of the things that stood out to me was their ability to be patient, but then act decisively when their opportunity came. It also seemed - and it might just be the editing of the video - that right after the Singletary pick, Beane was on to find a way to Draft Knox. That indicates Knox was a target from the beginning in some respect. Had Hockenson fallen to them in the 2nd or Fant, I don't know if they would have immediately jumped at it or not, but to me Oliver was the pick all along (of course presuming Q. Williams was gone). 

I really enjoyed the video, but I think it's telling that it started well into the first round early picks, and yes, I love Beane as GM.

What we did NOT get to see was what sort of maneuvering they were trying to do to move up and WHO they were wanting to move up for.  They'll tell us they weren't really and/or they wanted Oliver, but we probably won't know for a decade plus.

4 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

I really enjoyed the video, but I think it's telling that it started well into the first round early picks, and yes, I love Beane as GM.

What we did NOT get to see was what sort of maneuvering they were trying to do to move up and WHO they were wanting to move up for.  They'll tell us they weren't really and/or they wanted Oliver, but we probably won't know for a decade plus.

It was to ensure Oliver or Q.Williams IMO. Reading between the lines of what Beane has and hasn't said my belief is that they were 1 and 1A on the Bills' board.

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is what Ive been waiting for. And why I'll always want OUR team on Hard Knocks. Gimme that inside info!

Wonder who they were trying to trade back into the 1st for? My guess is Neal.

They were actually trying to trade back into the first for Ford

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Notice how everyone in the room was in a suit and tie.  I'm sure that's not the case in many draft rooms.  I think it's indicative of the culture Beane is building in the organization.  Be professional at all times  There are no short cuts, no causal Fridays.  You are here representing this organization and this city.  We are going to look the part, we are going to act the part, we are going to take care of our business like professionals.

Its actually kind of funny how they start out in suits on Thursday, then Friday they lose their ties, and then Saturday they lose the coat 

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I could care less how they are dressed, that isn't what makes it professional.  They could have been in Hoodies Bills gear for all I care.  What was professional is clearly there is one voice in the room and that was Beane, the group listened etc.  and after trading both 4ths (could have cam later than the start) instead still came in early to talk post draft UFA.  

54 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Right at the beginning before the draft started in their update brief he mentions that "most likely we are going to stay at 9"  so that was the plan it seemed like before AZ got on the clock

I would love for them to film one of their Mock Drafts they run in prep, then after the draft release that, I would love to know how that process goes, Does each scout get a team to be GM, do thy consensus on the picks of every team before making the "pick"

• Like (+1) 1