Trades. Picks. And all the drama. Welcome to the Bills draft room.

1 minute ago, qwksilver said:

Man, the NFL should find a way to sell tickets to all the draft rooms or outright sell the video of the each room or even the final draft board of every team. How cool would it be to sit in the room instead of in front of some TV?

BTW in BEANE I TRUST!

You can’t have anybody in there you don’t trust or you’d have to make them go through a metal detector and confiscate their phones.  

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

7 min.. enjoy!

One thing that struck me with previous GMs, for example when the trade-up for Sammy Watkins went down - Russ Brandon was in the room and I felt as though he and Overdorf were high-fiving and cavorting around and Whaley was looking to them for approval as he took the call that detailed the trade.

There's no ambiguity here, it is very clear Beane is in charge with the Ass't GM and other player personnel guys assisting him.  Everyone else is sitting or standing back.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You can’t have anybody in there you don’t trust or you’d have to make them go through a metal detector and confiscate their phones.  

I'd be ok with any metal detector and no phone for 3 days. Sign me up!

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yes.  Methinks they scrubbed the footage to give us the instances where the Bills got the guy they were targeting.  Worked out in Rounds 1 and 2 so this draft has to be viewed as a big success when you get 2 guys you were hoping you’d get in a best case scenario.  But you’re not gonna get that lucky on every pick.  

We probably don't know the exact timing/context of when those comments (about Knox, in particular, were uttered...although I only watched it once). Even subtle editing can create the impression of a narrative-friendly timeline.

But that's a cynical take that I don't care to pursue further. Beane and his team are prepared and poised. I like watching them work.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Another thing that is interesting is he has Joe Schein and Dan Morgan right there with him at the top table. I think Brandon Beane like any great leader knows his own strengths and weaknesses and I think he knows he isn't a natural scout. Those two guys are very important to him. He is a good strategist and a good leader but I think nobody should downplay the role those two have as pure talent evaluators. 

Good leaders surround themselves with smart people and lead with humility, that seems to be the DNA over at OBD these days.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, PIZ said:

I would have liked to have seen more of the round 3 talk around Singletary.  Would have liked to have seen the reaction when the other RBs were taken.

This 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Do it every day going into work. I’d gladly do it. 

Really good article on the Athletic where Beane takes you through the scouting process behind each draft pick. Articles like this are why I subscribe.

https://theathletic.com/959262/2019/05/02/the-film-is-the-most-important-thing-bills-gm-breaks-down-the-scouting-process-behind-every-draft-pick/

‘“The film is the most important thing”. Bills GM breaks down the scouting process behind every draft pick’:

“There’s nothing at the combine that can measure what’s in a guy’s heart,” Beane said. “That’s something we have to remind our scouts about.”

“The film is the most important thing,” Beane said. “That’s where you can’t get skewed too bad either way. That’s why we try our hardest to tell the guys, let’s set the board before we go to Indy because everything up until now, we’ve seen them do it in pads. Let’s set it like we’re going to draft when we get to Indianapolis.”

I like that he sets his board before the combine. 

When the Bills get back from the combine, they may start moving players around. But if someone wants to move a player, Beane is going to ask why and he’s going to need more than just a number from a combine drill.

....the combine numbers and other related analytics are a piece of the puzzle, not the whole picture. With Beane, no decision is going to be based on one thing. No one stat, number, interview or game is going to skew a decision. But he will often come back to the film to find his answer.

Beane talked a lot about drafting the best player available. He’s quick to point out that doesn’t mean he’s not drafting for need. If three players fit the value of the pick, Beane will take the player who either fills the biggest need or fills the biggest need at a premium position.

“But if you have two guys up there and neither of them are needs, you don’t go down the board to a guy who fills a big need,” Beane said. “At that point, you have two options. Take one of those two guys who don’t fill a need or trade down and try to select them at your value. I’m trying to handle need but at their value, whether it’s going up or going down.”

Beane goes over his thought process behind drafting each player. If someone wants quotes on a specific guy let me know. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is what Ive been waiting for. And why I'll always want OUR team on Hard Knocks. Gimme that inside info!

Wonder who they were trying to trade back into the 1st for? My guess is Neal.

It was Ford as has been stated about 100 times

Anyone willing to comb through the video frame by frame to try and see the draft boards? Because there are definitely some clear but quick shots of it. Would be cool to see

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Beane goes over his thought process behind drafting each player. If someone wants quotes on a specific guy let me know. 

I would love to see the room's reaction when they selected Dawson Knox, and then Belichek immediately trades out of the next spot. Like we stole the friggin' tight end the Pats wanted. I'll bet the room went wild, but they could never show that stuff publicly.

BillsFan4, can you please show the process behind drafting Knox?

4 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hell they could have my phone. Strip search me going in and coming out of the room. I would give anything to be in a war room for an entire draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think they did the right thing sitting and taking Oliver at 9.....who knows what would have happened between 9 and 11.   There are a lot of folks that felt Oliver was a top 5 guy.

It also seemed to me that a team taking Hockinson ahead of us didnt bother Beane at all.

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

7 min.. enjoy!

Thank you Yolo!

So refreshing to actually see that the GM and his crew are making all the selections... and not the marketing guy or the owner! While the HC sits silently while allowing the GM to do his magic! Gotta love these new owners! What a great time to be a Buffalo Bills fan!

The Bills FO targeted a few players that they wanted and went after them, got them! I do recall hearing that the Bills wanted Oliver so badly that they were looking to trade up into the top five to make certain they would land him.  From what I remember wasn't Oliver looking like the #1 overall after the 2018 draft? A top five player at #9, can't ask for more!

Thank you Dave Gettleman twice over for not taking QB Josh Allen last draft and for drafting QB Daniel Jones @#6 this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

From the draft footage Beane looked really unorganized.

Looked like he didn't have a real plan and was just winging it. LOL

Looked like the opposite to me. The only point, and I do mean only point, where I felt there was panic was when Carolina traded above them at the top of the second. It felt a bit like when they took Little he said "right that was a let off I'm not taking any more risks with this... get the next team on the phone and give them what they want for pick #38 we are going to go get our guy."

Also noticeable that the trade up to #38 for Cody was the only time you saw Beane working the trade phone himself. It was Schoen and Morgan on every other trade discussion.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, eball said:

Ha, you guys are kidding right? They didn’t need to take a RB in the 3rd; in fact most fans figured they wouldn’t take one at all. Singletary was the highest rated player on their board at 74 by a wide margin. 

Kirby's intel yesterday was that he was sticking out there as the BPA on their board.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ve said it before, but I’d rather be in a war room for a Bills draft than a Super Bowl, Masters, Final Four or any other “sporting event” I can think of. It just fascinates me, and I’ve had a taste of some of the others. 

someone I see occasionally was in the room, and I saw him a few days before the draft. When he told me he was going to be in the room, I expressed something similar to your thoughts, and told him how jealous I was. Looking forward to the next time I see him so I can ask a few questions...