Trades. Picks. And all the drama. Welcome to the Bills draft room.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, Bush certainly could have been the pick they wanted.  I do think Atlanta would have been aggressive to get Oliver like you suggested.  I don't know the Steelers DT situation at the moment, so I wonder how he could have fit there and if they still trade to 10 to get Oliver if Bush is gone?  

Either way, definitely was the right move to stay at 9 and take Oliver.  I never thought he was going to make it, and earlier in the offseason I wasn't sold they would take a DT at 9 (although I was totally on board in drafting Oliver still then) based on how much emphasis they were putting on offense.  But as the draft approached we saw them sign a gazillion offensive players, and that started to change things.  

Plus they brought Ed in and heard McD gush about how important 3T DT was in his scheme, it became clear they wouldn't pass on him at 9.  But at that point, I really thought there was little chance he lasted that long as he was getting serious top 5 buzz and still would need to get past Giants, Jags, and Lions if he made it out of the top 5.  

Man I just loved this draft, and thats coming from a guy who did very much want a WR early, but also one of the mid to late round guys I loved if we didnt we still got as an UDFA.  So I was excited to still get Sills to compete for a spot.  

I always felt were okay if he got past the Giants at #6. Didn't see him as a natural fit in Jax or Detroit for scheme reasons but you just never know which is why they punched the air when the Lions pick came in. 

I would love to be a fly on that wall. Beano seemed to have a remarkably similar draft board to me this year as well.... so maybe he should give me a call. 

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Cody Ford was their guy all the way......and I think history will bear out that was the right pick.

It is such a treat to have an owner like Terry and Kim Pegula who are not interfering,  mendleing type owners.  Cool look into Brandon and Sean running the show. I predict Ed and Cody will both be pro bowlers....

• Like (+1) 1

I would have liked to have seen more of the round 3 talk around Singletary.  Would have liked to have seen the reaction when the other RBs were taken.

Edited by PIZ
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I always felt were okay if he got past the Giants at #6. Didn't see him as a natural fit in Jax or Detroit for scheme reasons but you just never know which is why they punched the air when the Lions pick came in. 

I would love to be a fly on that wall. Beano seemed to have a remarkably similar draft board to me this year as well.... so maybe he should give me a call. 

I felt pretty strongly that Detroit was going offensive at 8, but you never know when a talent like Oliver drops either.  But offense is in much worse shape than the Defense in Detroit, so I thought they would take someone on the OL or Hockenson.  

Jags got a free gift in Allen.  I had them taking Jawaan or Jonah there to try and keep Foles upright and maybe help their run game get going again too.  Jags got a gift in Allen then still landed Jawaan in the 2nd, so I felt they made out pretty well for themselves too even though I was never that high on Jawaan, but thats great value in the 2nd.  

I was never convinced the Giants were going to pass on a QB.  And I knew Daniel Jones was someone they may pick there, I just still never really fully brought into it and thought it was more smoke screen to keep someone from leap frogging them to get Haskins.  Especially with how vocal Jets and Bucs were about maybe moving back.  So it wasn't a total surprise while also still being kind of shocking at the same time hahaha.  

The Clelin pick to me was more shocking than Daniel Jones, and the funniest part was we were all prepped for a "surprise" at 4.  The surprise I thought was coming was the POSITION they were taking at 4...like the top player at another spot other than pass rush like Josh Jacobs, Hockenson, or even a QB.  I had not considered a lower graded player pass rusher.  

Clelin pick reminded me of when they reached and took Dairus Heyward Bey at 7th overall (despite being a 2nd round graded player) over Crabtree.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

The Clelin pick to me was more shocking than Daniel Jones, and the funniest part was we were all prepped for a "surprise" at 4.  The surprise I thought was coming was the POSITION they were taking at 4...like the top player at another spot other than pass rush like Josh Jacobs, Hockenson, or even a QB.  I had not considered a lower graded player pass rusher.  

Clelin pick reminded me of when they reached and took Dairus Heyward Bey at 7th overall (despite being a 2nd round graded player) over Crabtree.  

Ferrell will be a smart pick. He is going to do very well there. I wouldn't have taken him ahead of Oliver or Allen but I thought he was a top 10 player in this draft. Was surprised he went so early but we know Mayock was at the National Championship game and he destroyed Jonah that night. I think he will be a productive player for Oakland.

• Like (+1) 1

Really outstanding video! I would have loved to see their reaction when the Raiders reached for Clelin. I am guessing they didn't show it out of respect for the Raiders. Also, note how many people are in the draft room. Wonder what the Raiders' draft room looked like since they sent everyone home.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Man, I loved that video!  

I just cant fathom how some people are still down on Beane.  This guy is special IMO, him and McD are going to take us far.  

GO BILLS!

I know...I like him. He is making bold and measured moves...I don't sense any panic. He seems to have good nerves! All eyes are on him.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ferrell will be a smart pick. He is going to do very well there. I wouldn't have taken him ahead of Oliver or Allen but I thought he was a top 10 player in this draft. Was surprised he went so early but we know Mayock was at the National Championship game and he destroyed Jonah that night. I think he will be a productive player for Oakland.

I agree on him, I wasn't hating on him as a prospect...I mean the reach in terms of where he was graded compared to the other players that could bring pressure still on the board.  I just didn't feel he graded nearly as high as either Allen or Oliver (albeit Oliver brings pressure from DT instead of Edge).  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, Bush certainly could have been the pick they wanted.  I do think Atlanta would have been aggressive to get Oliver like you suggested.  I don't know the Steelers DT situation at the moment, so I wonder how he could have fit there and if they still trade to 10 to get Oliver if Bush is gone?  

Pittsburgh needed to draft Shazier's replacement at LB.  If Bush was gone they likely would have stayed put. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I would have liked to have seen more of the round 3 talk around Singletary.  Would have liked to have seen the reaction when the other RBs were taken.

I think there's a reason we didn't see any of that.  Just my feeling, but I think Henderson and or Montgomery both of whom went just picks before the Bills would've been the guy if they were still there.  I like the both of them much more than Singletary.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Denver was not likely going to take Oliver, but I do think there would have been a substantial chance someone would have traded with Denver to get Oliver before our pick.  So if Oliver was our guy, best to take him at 9.  

Interesting scenario thought:  Lets say we did move back with Cincy.  And now at 11 and someone did take Oliver.  We could have moved back a second time with Pitt from 11 so they could get Bush.  We would have scored a lot of assets through moving down twice had someone jumped the ship and got Oliver.

But, for me, if you love a guy you take him over more picks.  Especially a top 5 talent like Oliver, so love that we stayed put and got their top guy on the board.  

And I wouldn't want to hear people on this board crying for the next two years as to how teh Bills stupidly traded down and missed out on the NFL Defensive Player of the Year!!!! Like they did on the offense three drafts ago

• Like (+1) 2