Remembering Jack Kemp

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Did you like his sausage? Luke was a player who was attuned to the average fan. There was no pretense about him. He also was a hard working man with an entrepreneurial spirit. 

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/21/luke-easter-slugger-barrier-breaker-and-sausage-maker/

The Bisons of that era were generally attuned to the average fan.  My cousin lived in an apartment development near UB.  A number of Bisons were his neighbors: Eddie Kazak (former major leaque third baseman, Al Federoff etc.).  We were in awe and sometimes hung around outside until they left for the ballpark.  They were always engaging and friendly, willing to spend time with some local kids. 

On 5/2/2019 at 10:31 PM, Utah John said:

In 1972 or 1973, our West Seneca East high school band went on a band exchange with a school from Maryland.  Aside from concerts we gave at both locations, that Maryland school's band got a day at Niagara Falls and we got a day in DC.  

A group of 6 or 7 of us boys found our way to Congressman Kemp's office.  The secretary squeezed us into his schedule for 15 minutes.  The other guys were just in awe, looking at the pictures of Kemp playing football.  (I remember one where Kemp had just released a pass, and enormous Ernie Ladd of the Chiefs was in the air above him, on his way down to land on him.  A good choice of photos for a politician.)  I started talking to Kemp about China, and I took the position that the people in China were going to be better off under the communists.  Wow, did that Republican not agree.  We debated in a very cordial way for 45 minutes until his secretary insisted he stop talking.  I am impressed to this day that he took so much time to listen and communicate with a high school student.  

Commie!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1