Remembering Jack Kemp

14 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jacks’ last season ‘69. My Dad took my brother and me to see the Bronco game. Jacks’ last great day in the sun, a 3 TD game against previous unbeaten team. Still have Courier Express clipping somewhere of him icing his thumb late in the game.

Rest in Peace, Jack Kemp.

I was suppose to go to this game but I went to Pittsburgh to watch the Pirates and Cubs play a meaningless game (Bob Clemente and Ernie Banks)! Listened to it and happy to see great games by Jack Kemp and Butch Bryd who had a pick for a TD; last year of the AFL.

20 hours ago, Tcali said:

Jack was really a very good QB.Accurate passer with a decent arm.And he was tough and smart.

I loved those games down at war memorial as a young kid.....Parked at a  Jefferson avenue business.

I remember that dirt walkway around the field that you could cruise DURING the bloody game.There was a

rickety little fence separating that walkway from the players benches.

Toward the latter years of WM..around 1970 I believe...Vince Lombardi came in with his Washington Redskins

for a preseason game. I remember going down to the dirt track and standing within a few feet of Lombardi--who was

relaxed and not in game mode since it was preseason.Of course I was in awe--being maybe 12 yrs old.-That Redskin

team he had was very quickly becoming good

and I am convinced he would have repeated his dynasty building had he not died so soon after from cancer.

Jack came to our school one time to give a talk on civics.this was early 70s so he may have already been congressman Kemp.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Jack Kemp was a very good QB and a very great man. 

I loved the AFL and the Bills of the 60’s. 

Football was only  part of it.  Read this -> https://www.buffalobills.com/news/when-football-makes-history-bills-lead-the-1965-afl-all-star-game-boyco-14794478

The article reminds me off when the UB Bulls turned down their invitation to the Tangerine Bowl because Willie Evans would have to be treated differently in Florida than everyone else on the team because of his race.  The turn down was not generally seen as a negative nationally, but as a very positive move.

Yes, the Bills of the 60's were a memorable bunch, from Lookie Lookie Here Comes Cookie, to Golden Wheels and Dangerous Dan McGrew.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

I agree with it all, Vorpma.  And whatever it might be worth to you and all other fans that remember those AFL Bills,  at times I get concerned that as we "older Bills fans"

that lived during those AFL days leave this life, that the greatness and the contribution of those Bills will be diminished and nearly forgotten. I've thought about the need

for a Bills museum near or in the New Era facility where those AFL-era Bills are thoroughly remembered and revered. I don't think I'm being too much of a "romanticist."

These guys played the game for the pure joy of the game. They didn't, to say the least, play just for the money because back then, many of them had to work ordinary

jobs during the off-season! And yes, the museum should represent the later eras after the merger, but it was those AFL Bills that our love for the Bills and the teams since

then got started. It was a special time in Bills history.

Ok, sermon's over.

Keep preaching brother!

Going to a Bills game in the old rockpile with the old man was one of my fondest childhood memories.

He was one of the guys who would wear a suit coat and his Kleinhans Buffalonian hat and although we

were just going to War Memorial Stadium I felt like I was entering the Roman Coliseum.

Thanks to everyone in this thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Keep preaching brother!

Going to a Bills game in the old rockpile with the old man was one of my fondest childhood memories.

He was one of the guys who would wear a suit coat and his Kleinhans Buffalonian hat and although we

were just going to War Memorial Stadium I felt like I was entering the Roman Coliseum.

Thanks to everyone in this thread.

Thanks CB. Those were great days, going to the Rock Pile to see those Bills. I hope the Pegulas are reading these posts and maybe a seed can be planted in their

minds about a Bills museum. LLTAFLB  (Long Live The AFL Bills)

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Thanks CB. Those were great days, going to the Rock Pile to see those Bills. I hope the Pegulas are reading these posts and maybe a seed can be planted in their

Maybe at the new stadium.  I looked this up just now.  Has anyone gone to see this guys exhibit at he History Museum?

I'm thinking it may be something to do next time I'm back in Buffalo.  I always liked the History Museum as a kid.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/buffalo-bills-collectors-massive-collection-centerpiece-new-museum-exhibit/

poster_d2c69dd289404472875d23d58c05d30b.jpg

43 minutes ago, RevWarRifleman said:

How about planting in their minds the seed about a stadium in downtown Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/2/2019 at 7:50 PM, The Senator said:

Ten years ago today, we lost JFK - Jack French Kemp.

Occidental College, 4 years in the U.S. Army, claimed from the Chargers for a $100 waiver fee, two-time  AFL champ (against said Chargers), nine-term Congressman from my district, Presidential hopeful, Secretary of HUD under Bush The Elder, running mate of Bob Dole, and first pro QB to hand off to the Brentwood Butcher.

I had the great pleasure of meeting him, and working for his campaign, when I lived in DC.    During our brief conversation, we spoke mostly about the Bills and BuffTown, not Reaganomics.  Very nice man, very cordial, and oh, that raspy voice...

”Well, Dave, when I played, we ran the offense on a ‘supply-side theory’...it was very successful in pro football!”. (I really had no idea what he meant, I was in my early twenties, but pretty sure he was joking about David Stockman.)

Another life well-lived, cut short by the dreaded ‘Big C’.

RIP Jack.  Forever in our hearts and memories.

Ok so Jack Kemp is one of my favorite stories to get my grandma (80 years old) to talk about. My grandma HATES Jack Kemp. She was the head of the womens bussiness society(not sure exactly how to word the association) in Buffalo back in the 70s because she was in an executive position with blue cross blue shield in  
Buffalo and that was rare at the time for a woman to hold such a position at that day and age. She had to work with Jack for development of a bill or something to that effect back then and she says he was the most smug and arrogant "prick"" she ever met in her life. She had to go to dinners with him etc multiple times and he hit on her and was a pig apparently lmfao. So whenever Jack Kemp is brought up in the household a little fire shows in her eyes and she tells the story!!!

real life right here folks can't make this up ?

On 5/3/2019 at 4:39 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Good thread.  Kemp was a class act.  While on the Hill, he, Henry Nowak (the Canisius College basketball great and later congressman), and, I believe, Congressman John LaFalce (Kenmore) started the annual Buffalo Nite on Capital Hill, which is still going strong.  One year at the shindig, Jack and I chatted.  His son had just signed his first pro football contract with (I believe it was a west coast team).  Of course contracts at that time were a lot bigger than during Kemp's playing days.  So I said to Kemp, "Congratulations on your son's signing.  He's probably making more as a rookie than you ever made as a star."  Jack smiled, shook his head and said "Isn't that the truth."

As a professional and a person, Jack Kemp is truly missed.

Hopefully he will be honored on Buffalo Nite on  being gone for 10 years.  

http://nyss-washdc.org/buffalonite.html

https://www.facebook.com/buffalonite/

If you are on facebook (I am but barely use and even spelled my name wrong due to some using name searches to power friend requests) you might want to add a comment there. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Maybe at the new stadium.  I looked this up just now.  Has anyone gone to see this guys exhibit at he History Museum?

I'm thinking it may be something to do next time I'm back in Buffalo.  I always liked the History Museum as a kid.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/buffalo-bills-collectors-massive-collection-centerpiece-new-museum-exhibit/

I went took many photos.

CB, in your picture, I see to the far left, Luke Easter's name. I know this is off-topic,  but the memories I have of Luke at Offerman stadium Bisons games  are treasures. On the 

street I grew up on, Luke was God.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:18 PM, JohnC said:

No matter what your political persuasion was he was he was the type of person who was liked and respected. He was simply a good person with a positive disposition who wouldn't be comfortable in the cut-throat and tribal politics of today. He exhibited his courage and belief in the equality of people when as president of the player's union he stood up for the black players at an all-star game when they were not allowed to stay at a white only hotel and were treated discriminately from the time they arrived in the city.  

https://news.wbfo.org/post/heritage-moments-buffalo-bills-and-black-players-all-star-boycott-1965

what a great read. I've been reading about the NFL all my life and this is the first I've read of this protest. This from a league that photoshops Colin Kaepernick out of pictures. The courage the players must have had then to protest in an atmosphere of such open hostility

6 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

CB, in your picture, I see to the far left, Luke Easter's name. I know this is off-topic,  but the memories I have of Luke at Offerman stadium Bisons games  are treasures. On the 

street I grew up on, Luke was God.

Luke was God throughout WNY.  I was at the game he hit the first homer ever over the center field wall at Offerman Stadium.  Following the game, the area outside the Bison's  dressing room was totally blocked by autograph seekers waiting for Luke to emerge.  He spent as long as he had to signing programs.  I still have mine, along with the vivid memories of the community owned Bisons.

12 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Luke was God throughout WNY.  I was at the game he hit the first homer ever over the center field wall at Offerman Stadium.  Following the game, the area outside the Bison's  dressing room was totally blocked by autograph seekers waiting for Luke to emerge.  He spent as long as he had to signing programs.  I still have mine, along with the vivid memories of the community owned Bisons.

Allan, thanks for posting. What a gem of WNY/Bisons history you shared with us! That had to be an awesome experience, and I'm jealous.

Did you like his sausage? Luke was a player who was attuned to the average fan. There was no pretense about him. He also was a hard working man with an entrepreneurial spirit. 

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/21/luke-easter-slugger-barrier-breaker-and-sausage-maker/