Josh Allen and the “Show Gun Offense”

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Because defense headset also times out so the MLB (usually one with headset) makes the calls to move after the headset voice stops.

Doesn't seem to bother the Rams...

19 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

So basically all y’all are saying “Jallen” is too dumb to call his own plays. Keep in mind Daboll stays. He watched film with Jallen and coaches him up during the week. Gives him 20 or so simple plays to use and adjust with modifications. And you all think it’s too much for the kid from Firebox, WY? I’d say you’re all selling the boy short. He should run this offense for the next 4 years before he commands big $$$. Or maybe you fellas run inside when it rains? Live a little. 

I certainly didn't say that.  I think in today's NFL, the no huddle offense is more of a situational offense.  The Bills demonstrated back in the early 90s that the no huddle can create a lot of stress for your own defense.  If you're not putting a lot of drives together, you're giving a huge time of possession advantage to your opponent.  Thyat leads to your defense wearing down.  As a situational offense, it can be effective in keeping the other team off balance.  I can see Daboll wanting to do that.

In serious response to OP...

Jim Kelly spent his first two seasons with the USFL Houston Gamblers, it was there he learned how to read defenses and make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Then he entered the NFL and eventually learned to read and then skewer NFL defenses. Another good QB followed a similar path.. Kurt Warner did time in the Arena League and then NFL Europe.. then entered to NFL and eventually became a prolific passer.

Point being, becoming a great QB takes time and experience. Expecting a Jim Kelly like ability to call plays at the line of scrimmage and "Show Gun" from a second year Josh, regardless of Wonderlic, is a road to disappointment. Josh needs time to grow, I hope Bills fans are patient.

Having said that, I expect big things from a 3rd or 4th year Josh.. including no-huddle play calling.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:17 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Ok, hear me out. 

* The kid scored a 36 on the Wunderlic (compared to Jimbo’s 20 or so...no offense)

* He obviously has legs to call his own number.

* Defenses will not be able to substitute in quick enough to account for Beasley, Brown etc.

* He is growing with the job. He can handle the duties.

Would love to see Josh call his own plays (like Jimbo) and have Daboll coach him up.  

Jim was able to do it in part due to the other 10 on the field.  Josh has nowhere near the same talent available to him.

22 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Because why limit him to "20 or so simple plays?" Whether or not it's too much for him (I'll guess it's not), this scheme has the end effect, for someone who has not even played an entire season, of limiting him. What is the point of that? What you are proposing is essentially an experiment that could backfire stupendously. Let him audible (if Daboll believes he is ready!), but just handing him the reigns does what for us, exactly? Does it help us win games?

Do a wee bit of research and you’ll discover that the “Kay Gun” (named after ex-Bills coach Kay Stephenson) was comprised of approximately 20-30 plays that the players executed to perfection. As such, if it’s good enough for the Kay it’s good enough for Firebox. “Show Gun”!!

35 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Jim was able to do it in part due to the other 10 on the field.  Josh has nowhere near the same talent available to him.

This is actually a good point. They relied on a monstrous O line, a shifty RB, a deep threat and a slot guy (Reed) who really made it click. But I think we’re close and Allen has the ability to handle it. 

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Do a wee bit of research and you’ll discover that the “Kay Gun” (named after ex-Bills coach Kay Stephenson) was comprised of approximately 20-30 plays that the players executed to perfection. As such, if it’s good enough for the Kay it’s good enough for Firebox. “Show Gun”!!

Well, if it worked in 1985, it should work now.

Oh, wait... I did that wee bit of research you suggested. 8-8 in '83, 2-14 in '84, canned in '85 after losing their first four games. I'd have to do a wee bit more research to see how he subsequently did after becoming HC for the Edmonton Eskimos.

Edit: OK, I did a wee bit more research-- 9-9 in his one year of being the Edmonton Eskimos' HC in '98. But, hey... it's cold up there!

Edited by Rocky Landing

6 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Well, if it worked in 1985, it should work now.

Oh, wait... I did that wee bit of research you suggested. 8-8 in '83, 2-14 in '84, canned in '85 after losing their first four games. I'd have to do a wee bit more research to see how he subsequently did after becoming HC for the Edmonton Eskimos.

Edit: OK, I did a wee bit more research-- 9-9 in his one year of being the Edmonton Eskimos' HC in '98. But, hey... it's cold up there!

Jim Kelly went 2-14?? You Cray Cray

On 5/2/2019 at 7:28 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

So you basically want Allen to call the same plays Daboli would be calling.

If Allen called all the same plays AND the defense could not get off the field to make adjustments, the offense would improve dramatically.  The irony of this thread is that  the mockers don't grasp the basic concept, and just make themselves look foolish. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dubs said:

Hasn’t google or someone built an algorithm that automatically deletes threads and posts that start with “ok, hear me out”

Not yet, they are first working on one that deletes posts that pointlessly whine about a three word phrase.