Josh Allen and the “Show Gun Offense”

When Jim was at the helm, if memory serves, they had seven plays with variants on those plays. The intent was to be able to execute to perfection without burdening everyone with a zillion things to learn. 

Todays game is so different. I believe he could do it down the road, just not necessarily this year. 

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Ok, hear me out. 

* The kid scored a 36 on the Wunderlic (compared to Jimbo’s 20 or so...no offense)

* He obviously has legs to call his own number.

* Defenses will not be able to substitute in quick enough to account for Beasley, Brown etc.

* He is growing with the job. He can handle the duties.

Would love to see Josh call his own plays (like Jimbo) and have Daboll coach him up.  

Fact check.   Jimbo had a 15.   .

this nickname idea selling like sushi at a convenience store 

9 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I guess I’ll just leave this board. I’ve burned bridges. So long dear friends....so long. 

Before you go you could at least have the decency to start a feeble thread grandstanding... err... apologizing to anyone you may have offended and, while you’re at it, maybe a thread to poll members on whether or not you should stay. 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Before you leave, what do you think the best special teams tackle was between the Packers and the Bills?  And what were you eating when it happened?

I can’t answer the first question, but the answer to the second is cheese... I mean it has to be cheese, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Ok, hear me out. 

* The kid scored a 36 on the Wunderlic (compared to Jimbo’s 20 or so...no offense)

* Defenses will not be able to substitute in quick enough to account for Beasley, Brown etc.

Would love to see Josh call his own plays (like Jimbo) and have Daboll coach him up.  

The kid is smart for sure. That said, maybe we could let the kid play a bit more and learn to read a defense better....you know, get his feet under him per say before we throw everything at the kid including the kitchen sink.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

So you basically want Allen to call the same plays Daboli would be calling.

I would like to see them doing what the Rams do with Goff under McVay where he gets them to the line immediately and then McVay can see what the defense is doing and talk to Goff about what they want to look for, etc in the play...or then tell Goff what play to audible to....kind of like learning on the job with your teacher helping you along...until one day after he has done this long enough he knows the student can make the proper calls and hands it over to him...

No idea why this doesn't happen more, it's brilliant, innovative and is an excellent training technique in live action when it actually counts.

Edited by matter2003

16 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Ok, hear me out. 

20 is pretty high for a Miami player

13 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I guess I’ll just leave this board. I’ve burned bridges. So long dear friends....so long. 

Considering the thread title, the appropriate way to remove yourself would be through an act of Harry Caray.

• Haha (+1) 1

If we are coming up with gimmicky nicknames for the 2019 Bills offense howsabout... the greatest show on snow! You know, like the old St Louis Rams the "greatest show on turf". 

I also don't think Daboll is in a place where he is ready to give up the power of calling plays to a 2nd year QB!  Plus, I don't think that 2nd year QB is ready to call them. The Bills were already throwing deep nearly 30% of the time and Josh Allen was running far to often. 

Should the Bills offense go from near last in 2018 to a top NFL offense in 2019, I'm sure Bills fans figure out a new nickname. 

BTW, the K-gun offense was supposed to be named after Bills TE Kieth McKeller and not QB Jim Kelly. Basically it was a formation out of shotgun utilizing the "Hurry Up" / No Huddle offense that the Bengals tortured them with in the 1988 AFC Championship game.

At some point Marv, Ted Marchibroda realized that one of Jim kelly's strongest points in his play was running the "two minute" drill at the end of a half. Probably because Kelly had played in "Mouse Davis" run and shoot offense in the USFL. What a lot of fans don't realize was what made that hurry up offense work so well were the cutback runs by Thurman Thomas and the Bills usually ran more than they threw it back then. Also, once the ground game was established and the linebackers had moved up to help stop the run the Bills would send Loften, Beebe deep while allowing some unknown WR from Kutztown U who was tough as nails to run over the middle and catch everything thrown his way. 

Nowadays, nobody runs an actual run and shoot defense because Dick LeBeaus zone blitz castrated that offense. Still, now most NFL teams use a version/variation of a hurry up offense and the Patriots are particularly good at it...the bastages! 

F'in heck man...

Its like 'ok hear me out' is an alarm going off by the poster and internally he/she knows they shoukdnt post it. 

They ignore said alarm and do it anyway..

And we get stuck with this...

Why? Listen to your gut and save our eyes and time!!

1 hour ago, gobills1212 said:

F'in heck man...

Its like 'ok hear me out' is an alarm going off by the poster and internally he/she knows they shoukdnt post it. 

They ignore said alarm and do it anyway..

And we get stuck with this...

Why? Listen to your gut and save our eyes and time!!

“God I admire you” 

Bonus points if you name the movie.