"The film is the most important thing": Bills GM breaks down every draft pick (*paywall)

It may not be this year. But I feel we're turning the corner. We have adults running the team, finally. I just hope JA is the QB we need, because as good of a job as I feel Beane and Coach Claps-a-lot are doing, so much is on hitting that one pick.

9 hours ago, ngbills said:

I agree for the most part. But if you have a guy that tested poorly but played well in a legit conference that is different than the guy in a bad conference. This is the NFL. Those small differences in speed or athletic ability can be the difference in getting through the hole, batting the ball away, making the contested catch. Those lack of athletics play much less of a role against inferior competition. Common sense right? Put some guy that would not make the team at Bama and he could run for 2000 yds and 50td's against low level competition. 

Trent Richardson who dominated the SEC and Alfred Morris who showed well at FAU would like a word

• Like (+1) 2

My favorite quote from that article:

“We’re still playing football,” Beane said. “If I’m going to miss on a guy, I want to miss on a guy that I saw being a really good football player versus a guy who I questioned his football ability but he was a really good tester. We’re all going to miss on players. I would rather miss on a guy like this.”

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Regarding Devin Singletary: “We’re still playing football. If I’m going to miss on a guy, I wantto miss on a guy that I saw being a really good football player versus a guy who I questioned his football ability but he was a really good tester. We’re all going to miss on players. I would rather miss on a guy like this."

Wow, not exactly a ringing endorsement. Seems like strange reasoning for an early 3rd round pick. It's like he is already making an excuse for a pick he wasn't sure of.

Did you comprehend the article? Beane is talking about his philosophy regarding how he ranks players on his board. Why you decided to go the direction you did tells me that you either didn't understand the article, you have an agenda or you are a troll.

14 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Wow, not exactly a ringing endorsement. Seems like strange reasoning for an early 3rd round pick. It's like he is already making an excuse for a pick he wasn't sure of.

I didn't read it that way. It's also a way that you can temper expectations to reduce the calls for trading Shady etc.. Plus if the player works out you can then say I saw something that others felt was too risky. 

I wasn't overly thrilled when the pick was called, but to be honest I knew nothing about the kid. I was jonesing big time for Bryce Love as our RB pickup. But after watching some tape on the guy I really like it. The kid has moves and has an ability to make cuts that might be special. He's has a ton of carries and makes people miss, there's not many examples of him taking a lot of big hits. Beane knows what he has.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

I can see why you can take it that way for sure, but I see it as an endorsement of his belief that Singletary is a football player first and foremost and that “football” players are guys he’s willing to take a shot on regardless of how they looked at the combine. I think he paid Singletary a big compliment.

Yes.

Missing on a guy because you took him as a good football player vs taking him as a good tester.

Always take the player.

14 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Regarding Devin Singletary: “We’re still playing football. If I’m going to miss on a guy, I wantto miss on a guy that I saw being a really good football player versus a guy who I questioned his football ability but he was a really good tester. We’re all going to miss on players. I would rather miss on a guy like this."

If you read the whole article he's not necessarily referring to Singletary at this point but referring more to his overall philosophy.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we need to refer back to this when we get the crazy BPA versus need threads:

Beane talked a lot about drafting the best player available. He’s quick to point out that doesn’t mean he’s not drafting for need. If three players fit the value of the pick, Beane will take the player who either fills the biggest need or fills the biggest need at a premium position.

“But if you have two guys up there and neither of them are needs, you don’t go down the board to a guy who fills a big need,” Beane said. “At that point, you have two options. Take one of those two guys who don’t fill a need or trade down and try to select them at your value. I’m trying to handle need but at their value, whether it’s going up or going down.”

This is exactly what you want BPA with need.  This article combined with some of the other pieces where he talks about reaching on picks gives great insight into his philosophy and I love it!

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Lurker said:

That's the same philosophy Polian and Marv had back in the day.   On-field production is what matters most, not the underware olympics...

I need to remember this term for future endeavors with my wife.

Edited by The Wiz

1 hour ago, hemma said:

Maybe a little premature, but I hope Beane is here for a long time.

I think everyone does—because that would mean the Bills are winning.  If the team doesn’t win, sooner or later, Beane will be gone—guaranteed.

7 hours ago, JM57 said:

Trent Richardson who dominated the SEC and Alfred Morris who showed well at FAU would like a word

Yup... here's a few others who played at smaller schools and have had NFL impact.  Level of competition isn't always going to dictate success at the NFL level.

Tarik Cohen (North Carolina A&T), Rashad Penny (San Diego State), Marlon Mack (South Florida), Aaron Jones (UTEP), David Johnson (Northern Iowa)

27 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think everyone does—because that would mean the Bills are winning.  If the team doesn’t win, sooner or later, Beane will be gone—guaranteed.

I think there are teams who have recognized when they have a good thing - they're consistently competitive, and have had multiple Head coaches under their tenure.   Spielman would be a good example with Minnesota, Telesco with the chargers, Pace with Chicago, Dimitroff in Atlanta.  Snead was a good example of a hiring where you gave them the keys to a complete overhaul, same with schneider in Seattle.  

Not all crazy amounts of success - but they have all been around for a while and have had some misses/bad years.  

7 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Did you comprehend the article? Beane is talking about his philosophy regarding how he ranks players on his board. Why you decided to go the direction you did tells me that you either didn't understand the article, you have an agenda or you are a troll.

I was merely responding to what Logic posted of the article in the OP, don't have access to that site. The excerpt struck me as defensive in nature and not overly positive, Beane used the word miss 4 times in the 4 sentences he posted about Singletary. He talks about 7 other guys and doesn't use the word again once.

P.S. Personal attacks are unwarranted and don't add to the discussion.

5 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

If you read the whole article he's not necessarily referring to Singletary at this point but referring more to his overall philosophy.

I get it. The original post was out of context. 

Edited by Turk71

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I was merely responding to what Logic posted of the article in the OP, don't have access to that site. The excerpt struck me as defensive in nature and not overly positive, Beane used the word miss 4 times in the 4 sentences he posted about Singletary. He talks about 7 other guys and doesn't use the word again once.

P.S. Personal attacks are unwarranted and don't add to the discussion.

I get it. The original post was out of context. 

That's because everyone else had really good to great Combine performances.

21 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Suspect he might be referencing his  Rich Eisen like 40 time? 

No sweat. Bet the kid does just fine. 

• Like (+1) 1