"The film is the most important thing": Bills GM breaks down every draft pick (*paywall)

For those with a subscription to the Athletic, this article is absolutely worth the time it takes to read it. For those without a subscription, well, get with the times. This is the best Bills coverage out there right now. I'll post a few snippets that I liked about each player, with some bits that I really like in bold. There's more, though, and I encourage everyone to get a free trial and check this site out. All quotes below are from Brandon Beane.

https://theathletic.com/959262/2019/05/02/the-film-is-the-most-important-thing-bills-gm-breaks-down-the-scouting-process-behind-every-draft-pick/

Regarding Ed Oliver: “Quick twitch, quick hands, power,” Beane said. “He had all of that the way he went in and out of the back with tight turns. He was explosive. Once he got his hips flipped and went, he’s rolling. You see him on tape and he’s running at linebacker-speed chasing guys. You don’t see that from bigger nose-tackle types. This guy is running the way Tremaine (Edmunds) is going to run or Matt (Milano) is going to run to the ball. The effort and compete, the way he plays with an edge, that all showed up on tape.”

Regarding Cody Ford: You see an
 excellent
 run-game player,” Beane said. “This guy can get to the second level. Once he gets his hands on you, school’s out. He was the best finisher of any lineman I saw in this draft. When you grade many linemen, a lot of them are locking their guys in and they’re peeking over their shoulder to see where the quarterback is. I never saw Cody peek. The next time he peeks will be the first time I saw him peek. He looks at it like if the whistle hasn’t blown and I knock my guy down, I’m either going to really finish him or I’m going to look for more work. That’s already in him. Some guys you have to kick in the butt. If anything, you have to pull him back.”

Regarding Devin Singletary: “We’re still playing football. If I’m going to miss on a guy, I want to miss on a guy that I saw being a really good football player versus a guy who I questioned his football ability but he was a really good tester. We’re all going to miss on players. I would rather miss on a guy like this.”

Regarding trading up for Dawson Knox: "I think it’s where you’re at in your build. It’s not my philosophy to only trade up. There were opportunities we were looking at to trade down. Part of it is, going back to Cody and Tremaine, we had them up there and they were sticking out. If a guy is sticking out and you’ve done all this work and it’s not forfeiting a crazy amount of stuff, if you felt that good to give him that grade, go get him! How excited are you to have another player with that value? Now it’s important we value them right. If we were right on our value, it’s a no-brainer to take that chance....In time we’ll be able to be a little bit more patient with the board, but any year I am here if there’s a guy sticking out and it’s a position of need, I’m not going to hesitate."

Regarding Vosean Joseph: “He has the DNA to play on special teams. If he shows he has what it takes, he’s not going to start at linebacker, but he can get a jersey by being a guy on special teams. I think he’ll be in the mix with that.”

Regarding Jaquan Johnson: “I think he fell because he didn’t test well, but if I didn’t see those numbers and just saw the tape, I see a good football player,”

Regarding Darryl Johnson Jr: “They felt this guy was someone with high upside, raw but had good testing numbers. A lot of things that we saw in the seventh round, let’s take a shot on this guy. If he makes it, it may be because he tested really well and he fell because he’s still on the come-up. Some other guys may make it because they didn’t test well, but they are good football players and they are going to figure it out.”

Regarding Tommy Sweeney: “He knows how to play the game. He’s tough and edgy,” Beane said. “He’s not a throwaway in the passing game, but that’s not his first skill. He makes it because he’s a smart blocker. He knows how to use angles if he’s getting outsized or out-muscled. He just finds a way.”

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 8

I agree - so good - worth the $

One takeaway is that Beane doesn’t seem to weigh combine performances too heavily at the top of the draft but will take a chance on guys who tested high at the bottom 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 10

Regarding Devin Singletary: “We’re still playing football. If I’m going to miss on a guy, I wantto miss on a guy that I saw being a really good football player versus a guy who I questioned his football ability but he was a really good tester. We’re all going to miss on players. I would rather miss on a guy like this."

Wow, not exactly a ringing endorsement. Seems like strange reasoning for an early 3rd round pick. It's like he is already making an excuse for a pick he wasn't sure of.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree - so good - worth the $

One takeaway is that Beane doesn’t seem to weigh combine performances too heavily at the top of the draft but will take a chance on guys who tested high at the bottom 

I know. I loved reading that. It puts my heart at ease. Tape > measurables.

5 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Regarding Devin Singletary: “We’re still playing football. If I’m going to miss on a guy, I wantto miss on a guy that I saw being a really good football player versus a guy who I questioned his football ability but he was a really good tester. We’re all going to miss on players. I would rather miss on a guy like this."

Wow, not exactly a ringing endorsement. Seems like strange reasoning for an early 3rd round pick. It's like he is already making an excuse for a pick he wasn't sure of.

Nah. He says a lot more about Singletary. I just didn't want to post a lot of it because I want people to sign up for The Athletic because those guys deserve the clicks and the subscription dollars. I only highlighted that quote in particular to point out that Beane gives more credence to tape than he does to measurables, which is a good thing.

Beane ALSO talks about Singletary's heart and drive, and how there are no combine measurables for those things. He speaks more glowingly of Singletary than probably any of the seven other guys he picked. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would say that is a result of all the interviews he did this week where he was repeatedly questioned about this pick. I heard 3 of them alone aside from this one. He was put in a position to defend the pick on each one, and is likely speaking from that angle. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That's the same philosophy Polian and Marv had back in the day.   On-field production is what matters most, not the underware olympics...

• Like (+1) 3

He's saying that people are criticizing (the pick of) Singletary for testing poorly at the Combine but he's a good football player and that's what matters most.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Nah. He says a lot more about Singletary. I just didn't want to post a lot of it because I want people to sign up for The Athletic because those guys deserve the clicks and the subscription dollars.

Beane ALSO talks about Singletary's heart and drive, and how there are no combine measurables for those things. He speaks more glowingly of Singletary than probably any of the seven other guys he picked. 

I get what he is saying about football not being played at the combine, but the quote taken alone out of context just didn't strike me as a great endorsement.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He's saying that people are criticizing (the pick of) Singletary for testing poorly at the Combine but he's a good football player and that's what matters most.

Reading comprehension is hard on TSW...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

I get what he is saying about football not being played at the combine, but the quote taken alone out of context just didn't strike me as a great endorsement.

He seems to be more saying he'd rather take a shot on a guy with good tape that maybe doesn't test well than a guy who tests well without any good tape.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

To me, I read this and think this is why he didn’t take DK, a guy who tested well but had a lot of questions regarding football.  Beane is basically saying if he misses on a guy who produced in college, it happens, but when you miss on a guy who didn’t really produce, then you really look bad.

PS- I wanted DK so I’m not trying to knock him.  Just sounds like this is why he wasn’t on our radar  

I agree for the most part. But if you have a guy that tested poorly but played well in a legit conference that is different than the guy in a bad conference. This is the NFL. Those small differences in speed or athletic ability can be the difference in getting through the hole, batting the ball away, making the contested catch. Those lack of athletics play much less of a role against inferior competition. Common sense right? Put some guy that would not make the team at Bama and he could run for 2000 yds and 50td's against low level competition. 

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

That stuck out to me as well. Very, very strange comment. If you miss, it doesn't really matter WHY you missed. Beane's got a right to a personal belief system, but it doesn't really affect the football team. The team will sink or swim based on the abilities of the players he drafts; not WHY he drafted them.

It definitely felt like he was qualifying the pick; perhaps based on criticism. Fair enough, but as you said, not a ringing endorsement.

57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would say that is a result of all the interviews he did this week where he was repeatedly questioned about this pick. I heard 3 of them alone aside from this one. He was put in a position to defend the pick on each one, and is likely speaking from that angle. 

Fair point.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Nah. He says a lot more about Singletary. I just didn't want to post a lot of it because I want people to sign up for The Athletic because those guys deserve the clicks and the subscription dollars. I only highlighted that quote in particular to point out that Beane gives more credence to tape than he does to measurables, which is a good thing.

Good to know.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That stuck out to me as well. Very, very strange comment. If you miss, it doesn't really matter WHY you missed. Beane's got a right to a personal belief system, but it doesn't really affect the football team. The team will sink or swim based on the abilities of the players he drafts; not WHY he drafted them.

It definitely felt like he was qualifying the pick; perhaps based on criticism. Fair enough, but as you said, not a ringing endorsement.

Fair point.

I think he's clearly saying or at least implying that he thinks he'll be less likely to miss that way.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I disagree completely! This is a most ringing endorsement. That’s why he took him when he did.

12 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I agree for the most part. But if you have a guy that tested poorly but played well in a legit conference that is different than the guy in a bad conference. This is the NFL. Those small differences in speed or athletic ability can be the difference in getting through the hole, batting the ball away, making the contested catch. Those lack of athletics play much less of a role against inferior competition. Common sense right? Put some guy that would not make the team at Bama and he could run for 2000 yds and 50td's against low level competition. 

Go take a close look at his numbers. He dominated his competition! If he was a running back on a power five team with a good offensive  line I’m betting he would be putting up some really good numbers there, too. I didn’t know who he was when you got picked. But I’m liking the pic more and more!

12 minutes ago, ngbills said:

There are tons of guys in the NFL who may not have been 5-start recruits to power five schools but who excel based on their intangibles--desire, intelligence and hard work.    Ask Bill Belichick about those types.  Or Fred Jackson...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I can see why you can take it that way for sure, but I see it as an endorsement of his belief that Singletary is a football player first and foremost and that “football” players are guys he’s willing to take a shot on regardless of how they looked at the combine. I think he paid Singletary a big compliment.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I can see why you can take it that way for sure, but I see it as an endorsement of his belief that Singletary is a football player first and foremost and that “football” players are guys he’s willing to take a shot on regardless of how they looked at the combine. I think he paid Singletary a big compliment.

This.