Greg Gabriel Blasts Ed Oliver and Believes He Has “Bust Potential”

On 5/2/2019 at 6:55 PM, PIZ said:

In his draft mag last year (which I bought) he had QB Josh Allen as a 3rd round pick.

Ask for your money back.

10 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Gabriel is a schmuck. There's a reason he no longer has a job in a front office.

Next year’s GM in Arizona...?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Why couldn't he not play , like Bosa ?

He could have decided that, but didn’t. Granted his knee injury wasn’t technically season ending. He came back and played hurt vs Memphis but could have gone the Bosa route. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, The Senator said:

Two questions:

1) Who the **** is Greg Gabriel?

2) Why the **** should I care what he thinks?

Well he does have a lot more experience than anyone criticizing him on this board including me.

2010 Story from when he was canned along with most of Bears' front office.

http://www.espn.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5140606

Gabriel was set to enter his ninth season with the Bears. A 28-year veteran in pro personnel, Gabriel worked 16 seasons in the New York Giants scouting department, one with national scouting, and two more years part-time with the Buffalo Bills.

With Gabriel leading the college scouting, the Bears hit on several players, including Pro Bowlers Lance Briggs, Tommie Harris, Devin Hester, Johnny Knox and Nathan Vasher. During Gabriel's first seven drafts with Chicago, the Bears selected 16 players who started at least one game for the Bears in 2008.

"I don't like him - he's a middle of the first round kind of guy."

Um, you don't like a guy that's the 15th to 25th best college player in the country?  If you don't like a guy, he shouldn't be on your board.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:45 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Well anyone who thought the Bills should of picked Hockenson with the issues on the D-Line and Oline doesn’t know the Bills very well. Not to mention the fact that TE’s in the first are a luxury pick. I like what the Bills did and think the Bills addressed the biggest needs with the right picks. 

I don’t think Honck would have been a luxury pick , our offense was one of the worst , our WR/TE group was joke , we had a top 5 defense, I thought getting our OL/WR /TE fixed was our NUMBER 1 priority , I hope Knox will be a great TE for us , but IMO getting more ( quality weapons ) to help Allen  is a need NOT luxury ( I don’t care what round ) 

go ahead fire away !!!!!

Edited by Putin

35 minutes ago, Putin said:

I don’t think Honck would have been a luxury pick , our offense was one of the worst , our WR/TE group was joke , we had a top 5 defense, I thought getting our OL/WR /TE fixed was our NUMBER 1 priority , I hope Knox will be a great TE for us , but IMO getting more ( quality weapons ) to help Allen  is a need NOT luxury ( I don’t care what round ) 

go ahead fire away !!!!!

I’m not going to fire away. You are welcome to your opinion. I am glad Beane saw it the way I did. I also enjoyed watching the draft piece that showed how happy Beane was that Detroit didn’t take Oliver.  Unless you have Tom Brady you win with good line play on both sides of the ball. Oliver was the right pick and is an instant plug and play guy. Let’s see how different Hockensons and Knox’s numbers are in two years from now. 

On 5/3/2019 at 4:32 PM, XABI64 said:

nonsense

the guy obviously has all the talent. he was being played in a position that is for 300+lb DT's. He also isn't lazy. from the second he stepped off the plane he looked like he was ready to get to work and improve 

not like Marcell who screamed lazy from his first season with us 

Seeing the difference on draft night between him and Q Williams was a striking contrast to me. Williams looked like an overgrown youngster with a lot of baby fat still on him, Oliver looked like a grown man that moved like a cat. 

Edited by Turk71

19 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I’m not going to fire away. You are welcome to your opinion. I am glad Beane saw it the way I did. I also enjoyed watching the draft piece that showed how happy Beane was that Detroit didn’t take Oliver.  Unless you have Tom Brady you win with good line play on both sides of the ball. Oliver was the right pick and is an instant plug and play guy. Let’s see how different Hockensons and Knox’s numbers are in two years from now. 

I’m not against the pick of Oliver , all I’m saying we have had number 1 / 2 / 3 defense in the past and it didn’t get us anywhere not even a WC or beating the pats** , I just want to see our offense/ passing game improve to at lest the middle of the pack , cuz if not I don’t care if we have a number 1 defense we are not making the playoffs if we can’t move the chains and score points , 

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

I’m not against the pick of Oliver , all I’m saying we have had number 1 / 2 / 3 defense in the past and it didn’t get us anywhere not even a WC or beating the pats** , I just want to see our offense/ passing game improve to at lest the middle of the pack , cuz if not I don’t care if we have a number 1 defense we are not making the playoffs if we can’t move the chains and score points , 

Significant improvement of the o-line (including hopefully coaching upgrade), Allen getting first team reps and an off-season where he knows where to concentrate his efforts, adding Brown and Beasley, maybe some actual holes for the rb to run through, TEs with working knees -- enough there to make middle of the pack a plausible goal.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Significant improvement of the o-line (including hopefully coaching upgrade), Allen getting first team reps and an off-season where he knows where to concentrate his efforts, adding Brown and Beasley, maybe some actual holes for the rb to run through, TEs with working knees -- enough there to make middle of the pack a plausible goal.

That’s what I’m hoping for as well , I really believe we have something special in J A and I hope he gets all the help he needs to succeed , I know there’s still plenty of time before week one so I hope we won’t stop upgrading our offense until then , 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2019 at 8:47 AM, frostbitmic said:

Of course he can bust, so can Kyler Murray, Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams etc ...

I'm betting he won't though.

I wouldn’t bet on Kyler Murray, but Nick Bosa and Quinnen Williams are pretty sure bets , I would expect one of those two to win DROY !

I hope Oliver = A Donald but that’s a riskier bet ( IMO )