Greg Gabriel Blasts Ed Oliver and Believes He Has “Bust Potential”

I only saw three games but Oliver was invisible in those , then the sideline meltdown was enough for me to say no thanks. I really hope im wrong because nothing worse than busted picks.

i really wanted Hockenson.

i saw a video of the bills war room and they had an offer to go to 11 and get 37. I would have jumped all over that.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I only saw three games but Oliver was invisible in those , then the sideline meltdown was enough for me to say no thanks. I really hope im wrong because nothing worse than busted picks.

i really wanted Hockenson.

i saw a video of the bills war room and they had an offer to go to 11 and get 37. I would have jumped all over that.

Go back and watch Oliver from freshman and sophomore year and you’ll be in love. Last year he played zero and tried to protect his draft status. A year ago, he and Bosa were the consensus top 2 picks. He’s going to be SPECIAL. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

My boss is a lions fan (and a Michigan fan too wtf did I do to deserve this btw) and was bitching yesterday about the Hock pick. I know she didn’t pay attention to the draft process and insisted this was one of the bigger names and assured he was a different type of TE then Ebron. I lied though saying I would have taken him at 8 ahead of Oliver, I would not have. 

Way to suck up to Ms. Boss??

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Go back and watch Oliver from freshman and sophomore year and you’ll be in love. Last year he played zero and tried to protect his draft status. A year ago, he and Bosa were the consensus top 2 picks. He’s going to be SPECIAL. 

I hope so but, saving oneself for the draft while playing is also a red flag. Would have been better to not play and get ready for the draft. Clowney saved himself and he has been good but i wouldn't call him elite.

Who knows, i just hope Ed kills it.

It’s a red flag, to be sure -for fans anyway. You KNOW Team McBeane did their due diligence. Listening to Oliver, he says he was ready to go pro after his sophomore season but had to wait to become eligible. Couple this with playing out of position and getting injured, I can understand some of this critique. We’re offering him everything he’s ever wanted. I have high expectations for him as a Bill.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I hope so but, saving oneself for the draft while playing is also a red flag. Would have been better to not play and get ready for the draft. Clowney saved himself and he has been good but i wouldn't call him elite.

Who knows, i just hope Ed kills it.

Oliver was playing out of position, on an average team, and not for the coach that recruited him. He would have been out a year earlier if he allowed to be. He was being wasted and had nothing to do but go back. 

I NEVER think that protecting your draft status is a bad thing. Bosa did it too and he was on a competitive team. If you have a Jaylon Smith type of injury you earning potential plummets. Smith was a consensus top 3 pick and has made $6.5M total including this year. Joey Bosa went 3rd in that draft and has made $25.9M total including this year. NOT protecting his draft status has already cost Jaylon Smith between $19m-$20m. I’m sorry but I don’t see that as a red flag at all. To me, it’s like Final Jeopardy. If you already have a runaway victory there’s no reason to bet an amount to where you could possibly lose!! You’ve already clinched. 

11 hours ago, BubbaT said:

Yes and I wouldnt hire any one of you as Bills GM either.

But the question remains had one of us faired better then the guys that did work at one Bills drive over these last 20 plus yrs. Mof I'm pretty sure our poll system would of done us just right . Way better then the clowns that worked for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Going back and listening to the draft coverage of my podcasts.  I was way behind on Moranalytics and I listened to a show before the draft with Greg Gabriel - the Buffalo-born ex scout and personnel guy.  Greg is super opinion and seems to hold his philosophy in high regard.  Bills fans either respect Greg for his experience or disregard his opinion for being out of touch (remember he said Peterman was going to be an NFL caliber starter...but apparently forgot it).

At the time of this interview before the draft Ed Oliver was rising and many thought NYJ would take him at #3.  Pat Moran asked Greg about the Bills taking Ed (he said he was a “Top 6 lock”), and that’s when Greg went on somewhat of a rant.  I did the best I could to transcribe.  Might be off by a little but this is the gist:

Time stamp: 32:00

“I’ll say this. Right now there’s a number of people speculating that he’s going to go to the Jets at number three and Gregg Williams thinks he can be another Aaron Donald. I’ll tell ya right now.  I think that’s a mistake. I don’t like him. I don’t like him at with the Bills at 9.  I think he’s a middle of the first round player at best, and there’s bust potential in him.  Because you go back and you look at the tape and the tape isn’t very good. 

He didn’t make many plays. He’s kind of lackadaisical. He had a problem with the coaching staff later in the year. You know I look at that and it turns me off from from football.   Because you want a guy playing down in and down out.  And that’s not him.

Personally from my standpoint if the Jets take him that’s great. It means the bills get to play against him twice a year.”

The discussion then turns to Rashan Gary to the Bills and Greg says both Rashan and Eddie are bad fits for the Bills based on their attitudes:

Time stamp: 39:00

“From what I’ve been told, the type of person that Sean McDermott wants is a great player in the locker room. A glass heater so to speak. A guy that’s all team.  And to players like Oliver and Gary to me are the opposite of what he’s looking for the Buffalo Bills team.  Now could they still take these guys?  Absolutely, I just think thats not what they’re looking for.”

All in all, Greg felt the Bills would draft Jonah Williams or TJ Hockenson and he was high on both.

He also says he was wrong on Josh Allen last year but it was because he was only going on what he saw on tape and didn’t know the type of person/leader Allen is.  He expects him to make progress similarly to a Trubiaky...maybe a Goff.

You can hear the audio yourself at 32 and 39 minute mark:

http://moranalytics.com/ep-113-greg-gabriel-plus-final-bills-four-round-mock-draft/

What I want to know is...  are you betting 5k on the Bills to win 6 games or less this season ?

After the draft, what's the point of tearing these kids down?  You can disagree with the value, position or spots they were picked, but go after the GM.  My only caveat would be is if they are so low on character and have a track record of being a trash human being (think Mr. Crab legs, Hill, Mixon ect..)  These kids have plenty of time as a pro to get criticized or called out moving forward.  Once they start collecting a check they're fair game.  

15 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Calling him lackadaisical is beyond laughable.

Anyone saying that about Ed Oliver makes everything else they have to say null. There's no way you see a 280 pound DL make as many plays down the field as much as he does. 

He's not a perfect prospect but effort is not something you can knock him for.

15 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

“I’ll say this. Right now there’s a number of people speculating that he’s going to go to the Jets at number three and Gregg Williams thinks he can be another Aaron Donald. I’ll tell ya right now.  I think that’s a mistake. I don’t like him. I don’t like him at with the Bills at 9.  I think he’s a middle of the first round player at best, and there’s bust potential in him.  Because you go back and you look at the tape and the tape isn’t very good. 

He didn’t make many plays. He’s kind of lackadaisical.

This reasoning is always so stupid to me.  I wouldn't take him at 9 but I would at 15.  If you like a player, you take him where you can get him.  He also loses alll credibility describing Oliver as "lackadaisical".  I have watched plenty of tape on Oliver, and there are many ways to describe him, but lackadaisical is definitely not one of them.  That man is high energy, high effort.  Just like Allen last year, some "experts" have agendas and nothing will sway them from inaccurate hot takes.