PFF highest drop rates for QB's

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

immediately the charles clay endzone drop comes to mind

On ther bright side......catch the ball, win the game and maybe we don’t have Ed Oliver for next year? That’s all I got......

It’s still hurts.....

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

On ther bright side......catch the ball, win the game and maybe we don’t have Ed Oliver for next year? That’s all I got......

It’s still hurts.....

Maybe I missed it, but on that lowlight reel I think Clay only shows up for that one drop. Man, talk about the most inopportune time for that to happen.

2 hours ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

You are correct.  Sarcastic hyperbole is difficult. Josh needs to do

a better job of controlling his velocity on short passes.

Does that work for you?

Yes, Allen's accuracy on dump-offs and slants is a known issue.  Usually those were not drops.

To factor in the quasi-official (eg non NFL) drop statistics, the ball has to hit the receiver in the hands or be able to hit the receiver in the hands without extraordinary effort - usually defined something like a shoulder-width box from forehead to waist or hips  when the receiver would be standing - eg no jumping, diving, tippy-toes.

So I think it's a fair question to ask how often the velocity factored into the throws that were registered as drops?  To my eyes, the answer would be "not freakin' much". 

How often Josh made a throw that required an adjustment or jump, that we see top NFL receivers manage to haul in but ours um No, is also a separate issue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Between Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin there were 85 targets missed last season...85!  Those two were Josh Allen's top two targets. 

Zay Jones 102 targets, 56 receptions a catch percentage of 54.9%.

Kelvin Benjamin 62 targets, 23 receptions, a catch percentage of 37.1%.  Now you can see why the Bills outright cut him during the season...just not soon enough!

John Brown was the Baltimore Ravens 3rd highest target last season with 97 targets, 42 receptions a 43.3 catch percentage. Although, the QB's changed during the season from Joe Flacco to Lamar Jackson. 

Cole Beasley the #2 targeted player for the Dallas Cowboys last season 87 targets, 65 receptions for a catch percentage of 74.7%. Which puts him in the LeSean McCoy percentage who had a 73.9 catch percentage. 

Now, the other things to consider are that Josh Allen threw deep more often then any other NFL QB last season. Not to mention that Bills OC seemed to call deep passes about 30% of the time. This with one of the very worst offensive lines in the league last year and literally not much of a run game from the RBs. 

Things should change this season with the upgrades on the Bills offensive line and now should have a much better run game from the RBs. The Bills HC is also aware of Allen's propensity to throw deep and has asked the OC, QB to throw shorter passes to help with completion percentage. The Bills also have a new WR coach so that should help! 

Edited by Nihilarian

6 hours ago, billspro said:

I think that is more of a myth. His velocity was fine on short passes. He does need to work on his ball placement a bit. 

For sure. When I think back on the season, it was ball placement and not velocity that stood out as something I'd like to see him improve.

He's got to get better at hitting backs/intermediate outlets in stride. We all know the supporting cast was trash, but this is the improvement that would take his game to another level. Lack of improvement in this area is really the only thing that could derail his career. 

He's got guys who can actually catch, so I expect to see the numbers and efficacy improve.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

It was all Brown’s fault there?

No, I don't believe that for a second. I was kinda making a joke. I just thought it was interesting that John Brown, who may very well end up being our #1WR, had the most success last season when Flacco was throwing to him, and Flacco, and Allen are tied for most dropped passes. Honestly, I have a higher opinion of Flacco than most. And, I think John Brown is great. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I’m content with who they brought in this year in the WR room. All of the FA’s have proven hands and with Josh, hopefully, working on touch in his short game, we should see an uptick.

The separation that Beasley can get, alone, will help. 

Beane talked a lot about wanting receivers who ran the correct routes to the right depth too.

Beasley graded out very high on being exactly where he is supposed to be, when he is supposed to be there. It can't hurt for a young QB trying to learn to trust his quick reads to have this kind of receiver.

I forget what video it was, but they were talking to Foster about the long TD he caught that Allen threw from under a pile of bodies.

Foster said that Allen told him he would throw the ball right to the bottom of the 40 and that is exactly where the ball met Foster.

It is uncanny how accurate his deep ball can be.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Imagine if we could also stop getting big plays called back on penalties! Maybe I’m going too far......but a guy can hope!

It did seem like an unusual number of poorly timed penalties.  I know, there’s never a goood time, but.....

We need better catching, better running the ball,  better pass rushing, better turnovers from the DBs....A lot of improvement required and most of all better Quarterbacking !!!! Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, buffalover4life said:

This low light is almost as impressive as his highlights. If all balls were caught I think he'd have an extra 700 yards and a 65% completion percentage 5-6 more TDs...countless drives continued.. 

Finally got a chance to watch this.

WOW

I forgot how bad Deonte Thompson was.

Also, I agree that there were some incredible throws. A TON of perfectly placed balls in there. A lot where he trusted his receivers to contest balls and they just weren’t up to it.

That isn’t luck. That is skill 

8 hours ago, TroutDog said:

It was more just a lack of accuracy on those thrown in my opinion. Velocity wasn’t the issue in most cases...particularly after he returned from injury. 

He simply was too sporadic with his short throws. 

That was an issue, and I have to believe he worked pretty hard on that in the offseason. Now, will he get the results when the bullets start flying? That’s the ultimate question.  He WAS much better at the end of the year. Let’s hope he can still keep building on that. 

17 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

For sure. When I think back on the season, it was ball placement and not velocity that stood out as something I'd like to see him improve.

He's got to get better at hitting backs/intermediate outlets in stride. We all know the supporting cast was trash, but this is the improvement that would take his game to another level. Lack of improvement in this area is really the only thing that could derail his career. 

He's got guys who can actually catch, so I expect to see the numbers and efficacy improve.

Was originally going to argue for the velocity issue, but watching the drops video, I now agree that velocity really wasn't the issue (on Josh's end). And after watching last year, I really don't think he has an accuracy issue, except as LSHMEAB pointed out (bolded statement above). That was the only place where I felt he showed inaccuracy, on the dump offs

But, even though velocity wasn't the issue, I wonder how much was just chemistry. Last offseason, the number one receivers were practicing much more with Peterman and even McCarron (neither of whom have a strong arm) rather than Josh. Josh's ball gets there a lot more quickly, and a good number of the drops came on scramble or out of the pocket plays (which are unpredictable), etc. So, although the drops were still inexcusable (as the majority were catchable balls), it may be partially due to a lack of chemistry, knowing how each other plays, how fast the ball will get there, the exact placement of the ball, etc. For instance, Foster had a better rapport with Josh early, but they practiced more together on the third team in the offseason. And as the season went on Zay and Josh seemed to be more on the same page (but it took time). Every QBs ball is different, so even if it wasn't a velocity issue on Josh, maybe it was partially an over all chemistry/continuity issue. Can't wait to see the improvement with both the new additions and with Josh having an entire offseason where he is the man and the WRs are practicing with him exclusively.

And just out of curiosity, I watched the drops video again to tally up who had how many drops. I would note that there were 2-3 pass interferences not called (would have been hard for the WR to catch because they were being interfered with) and I would say 3-4 passes, while catchable, would have been pretty phenomenal catches (and therefore understandable that they missed on those). But the final tally is:

34 total drops in the video:

Zay: 8 drops

Benjamin: 5 drops

McKenzie: 5 drops

Foster: 3 drops

Thompson: 3 drops

Holmes: 2 drops

Clay: 2 drops

Murphy: 2 drops

Taiwan: 1 drop

Shady: 1 drop

Logan Thomas: 1 drop

( there was one play I couldn't tell who it was---maybe Zay or McKenzie)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A lot of not good QBs on this list.  I think catchable ball should be a stat.  I would bet the best qbs throw the easiest plays to catch. I would bet Mike Vick and Jeff George had a high drop rate.

Of course if he was a better QB his WR wouldn't drop the ball so often makes perfect sense.