Best Team since when?

We are nothing if not optimists every damn year.

When is the last time you truly think we had a team that you think seemed to have this level of talent?

And also, why do only a few media pundits see it? Are we all wearing the proverbial red, white and blue glasses?

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/01/mmqb-buffalo-bills-have-their-best-roster-in-years/

• Thank you (+1) 1

2015 coming off a 9-7 season with an elite defense and then adding harvin, clay, and Richie.... and the hype got even more crazy after the home opener when they dismantled the colts and the old qb looked for real.

EDIT: we also traded for McCoy. how could I forget that? HAHA.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 8

Truthfully, When Whaley won the offseason. 

However, JA seems like the real deal and better than any QB we’ve had since Bledsoe.

McDermott seems like a better coach than any since Phillips.

Beane seems like a better GM since Polian

I truly believe we are at the beginning of perennial playoff contention..

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, foreboding said:

We are nothing if not optimists every damn year.

When is the last time you truly think we had a team that you think seemed to have this level of talent?

And also, why do only a few media pundits see it? Are we all wearing the proverbial red, white and blue glasses?

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/01/mmqb-buffalo-bills-have-their-best-roster-in-years/

I'd say as of now, this is probably the best I've felt about the team since 2004 and a couple late acquisitions or early wins from feeling like it could be best I felt about team since before that dark day the three Hall of Famers were released.

As for national press, the one thing I find telling is that the local press, which is usually fairly negative, but sees all that is happening, have been cautiously optimistic. I've seen three post-draft predictions and they've been 9-7, 9-7, 10-6. The national press is looking for what sells and there can only be so many chic teams. The Jets and Browns are sucking up all the atmosphere. It's ultimately that their moves have been more splashy, while ours have been methodical. While their moves were splashy (Bell, Mosley), we built more depth than they did, because we were a better team going in. People forget what a train wreck the Jets were at the end of the season, while after we gave the Jets their only win in the last 11 games, we had a winning record after that. It's harder to put what the Bills are doing into a sound bite. People understand Le'Veon Bell more than Beane's unique manner of fixing the line so Allen can grow.

What I marvel at a bit is the cognitive dissonance. There's a general consensus that the Bills had one of the better off-seasons and one of the better drafts, but also that they are going to somehow not improve or even backtrack.

Whatever: usually this bothers me more than it should, but I feel like regardless we are going to have an interesting pre-season full of compelling stories, and an exciting team to watch, a team that actually plays with passion and direction who we will feel happy for which to root. 

• Like (+1) 3

cripes... hmmmmm............... well........

the third year of the Jim Kelly Era, the first two were pitiful and then mediocre despite expectations.

Not sure if you can jump to AFC Championship Game in one year from pitiful in this day and age.

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 2

Good article over in the news section I wanted to highlight in case you haven't seen it yet, relevant to this thread:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/curtisrush/2019/05/01/could-the-buffalo-bills-be-on-the-threshold-of-a-new-golden-age/#17d79c326812

He makes a compelling argument, imho. The question is, will it take 3 years for this era to get really really good like the K-Gun Bills, or can we fast forward in the second year of Allen?  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

2015 coming off a 9-7 season with an elite defense and then adding harvin, clay, and Richie.... and the hype got even more crazy after the home opener when they dismantled the colts and the old qb looked for real.

Yeah the 2015 roster was better than what it looks like they have now.    

One of the things that stands out about this roster is the lack of actual star players.

There are some guys we hope will be........Allen, Edmunds, Foster, Dawkins, Oliver.........but no actual hardware like the recent All Pros like the 2015 team sported.

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

One of the things that stands out about this roster is the lack of actual star players.

There are some guys we hope will be........Allen, Edmunds, Foster, Dawkins, Oliver.........but no actual hardware like the recent All Pros like the 2015 team sported.

also traded for McCoy. how in the world could I have forgotten that part. LOL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I guess that is where the faith in McDermott and his ability to actually coach the best talent and scheme out of his players comes into play. 6 wins out of that squad last year was something.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I hear you, but I feel like New England has shown many times that you can still win it all in today's NFL with a group of good, not necessarily great, supporting casts around a franchise QB. I feel like we're getting plenty solid, now it's time to see how it all gels on the actual field.  

• Like (+1) 1

We have 1 blue chip player (White), a couple guys just below that level (Hyde, Hughes) and some very interesting young players (Allen, Edmunds, Oliver).  Other than that it's a roster full of very solid role players or huge question marks.

Frankly I don't see what some see where they think we are a piece or two away from Super Bowl contention and we are getting hated on nationally.  Seems like national perception is pretty spot on, it's pretty widely recognized McBeane seem to be doing a pretty solid job of adding "blue collar" guys who put the work in and are capable of being better than the sum of the parts, but still need a lot of things to go right to make a playoff appearance.

I think it's entirely possible we are a much improved team but don't catch some breaks and end up back at 6-10 again.

• Like (+1) 3

Toughest team to judge. Given Beane's record with FA it's tough to say the OL will be better. There will be tape on the QB. It could be a stagnate season or they could blossom. Have to at least see game one for a true understanding of who they are. Probably out to game 3 really. I trust McDermott is the only reason I think they'll be better than 7 wins. How much better, who knows?

14 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Probably this, although I did have high hopes in 2015.  I was still under the delusion Rex was a good coach based upon the year he got 8-8 out of a crappy Jets team.

Hopefully the FA signings and a solid draft it can translate to on field success.  It still may not partake until 2020.  But i do bill-eve this is the best team we had in 15 years going into the new season.  Once again buffalo rings you back in with high hopes.